IGNORED

Do you read your manuals?

Brickman

Do you read your manuals?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read your manuals?

I've been reading through the Japanese manuals of games I've been playing for my backlog this year. It's a great way for me to improve my Japanese and has been pretty fun to read through them to see how things are named in Japan vs the west e.g some Mario Bros characters.

Who here also likes to read their manuals?

• Like 2

when i was a kid, i would obsess over the manuals. even the generic one-pagers that came with rented NES games. it was just another way to live in that world.

nowadays, i will usually quickly breeze through them if i pick up a new game (big IF it even comes with s booklet) or a new-to-me game (disc based only). 

IMO the loss of manuals is a significant decline in the gaming world.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

IMO the loss of manuals is a significant decline in the gaming world.

Yes! The manual was basically the appetizer for the car ride home, or to entertain yourself while Pops was in Lowes or whatever, building up more excitement for getting home and trying out the game.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Yes! The manual was basically the appetizer for the car ride home, or to entertain yourself while Pops was in Lowes or whatever, building up more excitement for getting home and trying out the game.

Glad to hear I wasn’t the only kid doing that. I used to carry my manuals around with me when we would go shopping or on road trips and read them so I could still get a taste of the game even if I couldn’t play it right now 😆

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I used to love reading the manual whenever I got a new game as a kid.

But when getting new old games nowadays I never read the manual unless there's something I really need to clear up. And I just look for the thing I need, I don't read the entire thing.

Kinda sad, I'll admit. And even though I usually don't read them, I do miss manuals in modern game releases. The worst case is indie games which actually do have an online PDF manual, and then a company like, say, LRG, makes a physical print of the game but don't include the manual. 😢

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

I used to love reading the manual whenever I got a new game as a kid.

But when getting new old games nowadays I never read the manual unless there's something I really need to clear up. And I just look for the thing I need, I don't read the entire thing.

Kinda sad, I'll admit. And even though I usually don't read them, I do miss manuals in modern game releases. The worst case is indie games which actually do have an online PDF manual, and then a company like, say, LRG, makes a physical print of the game but don't include the manual. 😢

I always receive my games to a post office box near my work. So I'll swing by at lunchtime to receive any packages. Then in the afternoon when my students are eating their snacks, I'll generally thumb through the manuals and what not, building up anticipation for when I arrive home and can actually sit down and game.

Yes, I think particular with older games when ROM space was premium, I'd consider it vital to the full experience of a game.  Useful reference info, tips, and supplemental entertainment.  There's surprisingly a lot of useful info that seems obscure even to this day.  For instance, the manuals for Abadox and Thundercade both recommend using Turbo controllers to play.   Nowhere else would you know that except if you read the manual.

On top of its usefulness, I also find many NES manuals very charming; there wasn't a real standard so many have their own personality and quirks, from gameplay photography, graphic design/layout, character illustrations, to creative gameplay and backstory descriptions.   One standout for me was Totally Rad (NES), with its use of real photographs seemingly of folks from the company, with fourth wall dialogue throughout.  It's unusual but fun.  I can say that about a lot of NES manuals, they're not as dry as one may expect.

Edited by nesmaster14
formatting
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted

As someone who plays a fair amount of Atari 2600, I find that reading those manuals can be borderline essential. Without notation on the switch-settings and controls, a lot of those games can be impossible to figure out on your own.

I'm a loose-cart collector, but if I'm interested in an Atari game that isn't straightforward and doesn't have an explanatory review from someone like the NoSwearGamer on YouTube, I try to pick up the manual with it so I know what I'm doing when I play.

[T-Pac]

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I loved reading manuals back in the 90s. I saw both playing the games and reading the manuals gives you their full experience and value.
Nowadays, I’m more collector-driven and only like staring at manuals but not open them as to preserve their original state. So maybe a philosophical take, the difference between a gamer and a collector is how much they’re willing to dig their fingernails onto the inner pages of manuals?

10 hours ago, T-Pac said:

As someone who plays a fair amount of Atari 2600, I find that reading those manuals can be borderline essential. Without notation on the switch-settings and controls, a lot of those games can be impossible to figure out on your own.

Yes. There’s plenty of Atari games where you won’t be able to play it properly just by jumping in blind. A few NES games are like this too, but those tend to be more intuitive more often

• Agree 1

Reading the manual is a requirement in the arcade/pinball scene and is typically the first thing I reference when I run into issues. It typically answers questions about the machines and many have the schematics. Some good manuals also have detailed troubleshooting steps and theory of operation. They are a good read.

That said, there is absolutely no way 85% of people on this site read their video game manuals. Be honest!

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1