IGNORED

A game with no sequel and you’ve been wondering why (but you hope there will be)

GPX

One of the (unofficial) universal laws of gaming: a really good game gets sequel(s).

Makes sense right? Good game, lots of people play it, love it, they want more of it. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. 

My personal choice is a PS1 game called Einhander. A 2.5D horizontal shooter where you can choose between several ships and you can swap combos of many weapons and able to use 2 at any given time. It was made by Squaresoft, which are more famous for their RPGs, so definitely a surprise they came through with a rare gem of a shooter. What’s more surprising to me is why they didn’t make a sequel. Heck, even if they decide to do a remix with a short bonus level, I’d rush to buy it in a heartbeat!

Xenogears. I've always wondered - even after reading Perfect Works - what an episode 6 would have looked like and how much further Takahashi-san would have explored Gnostic teachings and what other philosophers he would have drawn inspiration from. Would it have delved further into the higher dimensions? 

...what could have been :I

Edited by Renmauzo

Is Astro's Playroom a true sequel to Astrobot Rescue Mission?  If not then that game definitely needs a sequel

Some others that I think about every so often - Alan Wake, Jade Empire

On the classic side, I'd really like to play a true sequel to H.E.R.O.  Apparently some guys in Brazil made one recently, but it has been hard to track down.

6 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That Mystic Warriors game looks good. It doesn't appear that it got any home releases though.

Got a pcb of the game. It's more akin to Sunset Riders than moo mesa is, but I don't like it nearly as much, the gimmick stages are kinda annoying. It's still very good though, and the soundtrack is fantastic. 

Moo Mesa is absolutely worth a recommendation however. It's a little on the easy side, but I did a 2-loop 1CC of the game, and it was super enjoyable. Great soundtrack as well, early Michiru Yamane! 

Both games are must-plays of you are a fan of the original Sunset Riders at least. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Link said:

Kung Fu should've had more than Spartan X 2. 

I'd say Vigilante feels a lot like the proper sequel to Kung Fu/Spartan X. 

Even has the same classic row of badguys moving in to group hug you 😅

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Did Panic Restaurant have a sequel?

Can't remember if it came before or after, but Time Zone, by the same devs, feels very similar. And I like it a lot better than Panic Restaurant. 

Edited by Sumez
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Cocoron is pretty much the spiritual sequel to Little Samson. I don't like it as much though, but it's a very interesting game. 

Cocoron came out after Megaman 1 and before MM2. It came before Samson

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure there's an obvious one that I'm overlooking right now but one that comes to mind is Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. I thought that game was cool as hell and it even ends on a friggin' cliffhanger...but I don't think it sold all that well and thus the sequel never materialized. Shame.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was going to say Ristar, but since that has already been mentioned I guess I'll say Kirby Air Ride.

To critics, it was considered mediocre. However, many now believe it is a good game. It's worth mentioning that there is a Kirby Air Ride comic in an issue of Nintendo Power, two episodes of the Kirby: Right Back At Ya! anime (which are part of the Kirby: Fright to the Finish DVD) have vehicles from Kirby Air Ride, and there is a cool Kirby Memory Card that came out in Japan. And the game hasn't been forgotten, as music from the game is included in several Smash Bros. games (including Ultimate) and there are also Kirby Air Ride "treats" in Kirby's Dream Buffet.

Other games that I wish would've gotten sequels are Diddy Kong Racing (Donkey Kong Racing and Diddy Kong Racing Adventure were canceled, while Diddy Kong Pilot was turned into Banjo Pilot), and Mega Man Battle & Chase. At least Diddy Kong Pilot repro cartridges exist.