IGNORED

A game with no sequel and you’ve been wondering why (but you hope there will be)

GPX

Administrator · Posted
On 8/13/2023 at 3:25 AM, wongojack said:

Is Astro's Playroom a true sequel to Astrobot Rescue Mission?  If not then that game definitely needs a sequel

Some others that I think about every so often - Alan Wake, Jade Empire

On the classic side, I'd really like to play a true sequel to H.E.R.O.  Apparently some guys in Brazil made one recently, but it has been hard to track down.

Just in case you hadn't seen about it, Alan Wake 2 is coming out this year:

https://www.alanwake.com/

• Like 1

Personally, I’m going with Intelligent Qube.

I know it actually did get a few sequels but nothing in the US and I need a US localization!

Another is Rad Racer which though it has Rad Racer 2, what I would have liked to have seen was a development of the game into a franchise up through the N64 era.  I would have liked to have seen it become basically a competitor to the Cruisin’ series.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 1:53 PM, MegaMan52 said:

I was going to say Ristar, but since that has already been mentioned I guess I'll say Kirby Air Ride.

To critics, it was considered mediocre. However, many now believe it is a good game. It's worth mentioning that there is a Kirby Air Ride comic in an issue of Nintendo Power, two episodes of the Kirby: Right Back At Ya! anime (which are part of the Kirby: Fright to the Finish DVD) have vehicles from Kirby Air Ride, and there is a cool Kirby Memory Card that came out in Japan. And the game hasn't been forgotten, as music from the game is included in several Smash Bros. games (including Ultimate) and there are also Kirby Air Ride "treats" in Kirby's Dream Buffet.

The way I think about Kirby is that every game in the series tries to do something unique. So you’ll just keep seeing new innovations with Kirby. The unique games are the Kirby “sequels”

On 8/13/2023 at 2:25 AM, wongojack said:

Is Astro's Playroom a true sequel to Astrobot Rescue Mission?  If not then that game definitely needs a sequel

Some others that I think about every so often - Alan Wake, Jade Empire

On the classic side, I'd really like to play a true sequel to H.E.R.O.  Apparently some guys in Brazil made one recently, but it has been hard to track down.

I ended up ordering HERO 2 from GameSelect in Brazil.  It is an excellent and professionally done game with fully re-imagined levels very similar to the original.  I have personally played around with many different HERO clones and even tried my hand at re-coding the game and re-designing levels in windows.  This is an excellently done continuation of HERO that sits on the line between remake and full sequel.  I haven't played all the levels yet, but the manual says it has 20 levels (just like the original) and they are completely different and quite challenging.  The game REALLY seems to start at level 9 where there are multiple paths and an 'early' appearance of the chompers.

I'd say that if you enjoyed HERO, have a way to play 2600 carts, and really want to play every version there is that you should definitely add this to your collection.  The price + shipping may be a bit steep for some, but I don't think it is unreasonable for what you are getting - original game, original packaging and fully working 2600 cart.  If you are on the fence at all, I'd say just go through with it and email Ricardo.  Even if you end up regretting your purchase, you can probably find another Atari collector in your country who didn't email Ricardo and you can sell it to them later.

email him at atarigameselect@gmail.com

• Love 1

On 8/12/2023 at 2:14 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Skygunner

edit: Oh wait, it has a PC Japan-only sequel no one's ever heard of.

So... 3D Dot Game Heroes

what's the sequel called? or does nobody know the name? 😛

On 8/13/2023 at 10:29 AM, Bighab said:

Herzog Zwei on the Sega Genesis. Split screen RTS with a transformable Jet/Mech was ahead of it's time when it came out. 

this game is cool. I got the switch ages release and it trains you how to play. Much better than the time I tried to figure it out blind. Has online play too I think.

Closest I can think of to this is the doom mod ZDoom Wars that turns doom into a first person RTS, in which you summon monsters from your character's game to fight for you (so doomguy summons demons, etc) and it covers several doom engine games.

For me, there's a simple 3 word answer: Lost Planet 2. nuff said.

I’m not trying to dig up old arguments or cause controversy but I’d like to see a Doki Doki Panic sequel.

Yeah, yeah… it was rebranded as SMB2 in the states to quickly capitalize on the need for more Mario in the US and then rebranded again as SMB USA in Japan.

But in an alternate world, this game is it’s own thing.  What would as SNES or N64 sequel have looked like, or what about an entire new series that existed too this day?

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, RH said:

I’m not trying to dig up old arguments or cause controversy but I’d like to see a Doki Doki Panic sequel.

Yeah, yeah… it was rebranded as SMB2 in the states to quickly capitalize on the need for more Mario in the US and then rebranded again as SMB USA in Japan.

But in an alternate world, this game is it’s own thing.  What would as SNES or N64 sequel have looked like, or what about an entire new series that existed too this day?

That or minimally why have we never had Nintendo re-visit the bosses and more of the enemies, or at the very least a bit of the lands and unique bits we had with the rockets, albatross, magic carpet rides it would be a good bit of change and fun to add to the old mix.  Why not have yet another nightmare, Wart is back, do it on Switch/Switch replacement in a Galaxy/Odyssey style 3D setup.  I would think it would be a blast to largely re-visit subcon, maybe instead of a dream of Mario's have it be another of the players, or perhaps Daisy's mind is being rotted from within, a nightmare invasion of her kingdom Sarasaland, her friend Peach and her companions journey into her land, and her nightmares, to kick his miserable ass again hopefully for the last time.

9 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Looking at the games on my shelf this week made me think Sony's Jersey Devil, being a first party 3D platformer collect-a-thon would normally have gotten a sequel. Not that I'd particularly want one.

Considering the character looks and moves like bugs bunny you would be surprised to learn that the same developer put out some bugs bunny games also for the PlayStation that look and play very similar to Jersey Devil

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...