IGNORED

What's your holy grail that you want or own?

16 hours ago, fsped09 said:

Nintendo A.L.S. Storage Cabinet Model ES-2800, I've got the ES-1800, but this one has eluded me. 

image.png

What's the difference?  I have one of those, but there are no markings on it.  From what I see in the picture, it looks the exact same.  It's not a in-box though, if that matters.

Graphics Team · Posted
22 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Like @T-Pac, mine is also bosconian. Except it is just a bosconian cabinet. It's my favorite namco release and probably something I am going to have to piece together, I already have a boardset, so now to get the rest of it.

BLAST OFF!

dduh138-9bd6014d-5316-4824-a361-f0d6ab099ab3.png.a42e0f2e2ce164ef28b605b4386d7e9d.png

That's too cool - now you've got me rethinking my choice haha.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 12:04 PM, T-Pac said:

My video game "holy grail" would be a playable Bosconian prototype for the Famicom, just like the early-2000s Jakks Pacific plug-n-play port. 

Unfortunately, I don't believe Namco ever made an effort to port that game to the 8-bit Nintendo.

If I had to pick something that might actually exist, though - it would probably be a prototype of Turmoil [Atari 2600].

[T-Pac]

image.png.d67f3483932e2e6dbef90b45cb8c0f75.png

A bit late of a response, and unrelated to the original topic as well. (I don't really have an holy grail, at least at the top of my head.)

But in the NESDev Discord server, there were discussions on how a NES port of 'Bosconian' would be done. (The bloke who started the conversation did a couple of art mockups of English and Japanese designs of the logo.)

Unfortunately, the vertical HUD in the original would have to be horizontal instead as the NES can only do Y-axis scanline IRQs even with the advanced mappers available. (MMC5 doesn't count, that's a whole can of worms to discuss.)

For the audio department, I'd like to (and even be open creating audio to) hear a limit pushing 2a03 version of the legendary soundtrack from the X68k port of the game, along with keeping the original voice samples play out as DPCM/PCM.

I've made a rushed, sloppily made mockup myself on how the HUD would work in the NES port, if it ever comes becoming a reality.

bosnesmock.png.c495dc63144fcd9abcde8c8e90f4c65d.png

Graphics Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Famicuber said:

A bit late of a response, and unrelated to the original topic as well. (I don't really have an holy grail, at least at the top of my head.)

But in the NESDev Discord server, there were discussions on how a NES port of 'Bosconian' would be done. (The bloke who started the conversation did a couple of art mockups of English and Japanese designs of the logo.)

Unfortunately, the vertical HUD in the original would have to be horizontal instead as the NES can only do Y-axis scanline IRQs even with the advanced mappers available. (MMC5 doesn't count, that's a whole can of worms to discuss.)

For the audio department, I'd like to (and even be open creating audio to) hear a limit pushing 2a03 version of the legendary soundtrack from the X68k port of the game, along with keeping the original voice samples play out as DPCM/PCM.

I've made a rushed, sloppily made mockup myself on how the HUD would work in the NES port, if it ever comes becoming a reality.

bosnesmock.png.c495dc63144fcd9abcde8c8e90f4c65d.png

Sick! The reason I've been so keen on the idea of NES/FC Bosconian is because I heard that a lot of plug-n-play game ports are actually NES ROMs. I don't know if the Jakks Pacific version of Bosconian falls into that category - but if it does, I would love to learn how to dump it for archiving and playing in a NES emulator.

[T-Pac]

....I've been overthinking this answer for days. In fact, before I reveal my answer, I have a question for whomever reads this. 

What do you count as a holy grail? 

There's a difference between Holy grails and white whales. White whale would be rare and expensive items, but a holy grail would be a one off item that many people want, and may not even exist.... right? 

Didn't mean to derail. This is a cool question. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

....I've been overthinking this answer for days. In fact, before I reveal my answer, I have a question for whomever reads this. 

There's a difference between Holy grails and white whales. White whale would be rare and expensive items, but a holy grail would be a one off item that many people want, and may not even exist.... right? 

To me a holy grail is that which a person wants the most - it doesn't have to be unique but it generally has to be pretty rare (which can vary depending on one's resources - actually a lot of earthbound snes's out there but they are pricey).

So to be considered a holy grail it is the most desired white whale.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DarkTone said:

I follow the later.  "Holy Grails" are like the actual Holy Grail-they are almost mythical.  Some exist, some don't.

I know I showed off 4x New Leaf/Game Factory cartridges but I'm guessing there aren't many collections out their as big as mine (though I wouldn't be surprised if one of you guys back in 2000-2005 went and bought every one of these that popped up on eBay, and you're sitting on 20 of these...)  I'm not sure if an actual Sonic 2 New Leaf exists, so to me, that's a "grail".  It might and it definitely did at one point, but I've not seen one in the past 10 years.

And, of course, that Sword art is truly an impossible find.  I'll never find it and, the truth is, there's only a very, very small chance anyone ever will. THAT is a grail.

But something like "Stadium Events" is not, even though any copy of that would go more than any of these Genesis cartridges.  They are rare, but they aren't grail-level rare, that' for sure.

• Thanks 1

I think for me, at least now that I have the ability to properly use it again, a return of my test launch Deluxe Set.  Minimally speaking, all the pieces to run Gyromite ROB itself aside.  Recently tested the one I've had for some years now having to hold the batteries inside it too but it worked even up without sticking/skipping.

• Like 1