IGNORED

What's your holy grail that you want or own?

In general I think of different categories for things when I try to come up with a holy grail, like if it is a game or a game system, or what system the game is for. If I had to narrow it all down to one white whale it would be Magic 7 Block by Gamtec

Gamtec was sort of the origin point for a team of developers that worked a a bunch of companies making Taiwan originals, and they were on the better side as far as dev teams making that sort of stuff goes. As far as stuff related to them that made it to North America I'd say the most noteworthy stuff was the games published by Realtec. What's interesting is that despite being the oldest of the bunch there has been one Gamtec game lying around for decades that has never been preserved, Magic 7 Block, so I'd really like to hunt down a copy. The only copy I am aware of having surfaced is the one I posted a link to above, and the owner did not include a picture of the cart, so it is a mystery to me. It isn't a particularly interesting game in terms of gameplay (just a simple puzzle game compilation), but its an early work by a dev team I've hunted down a lot of games for, so I'd like to be able to nab a copy

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

My video game "holy grail" would be a playable Bosconian prototype for the Famicom, just like the early-2000s Jakks Pacific plug-n-play port. 

Unfortunately, I don't believe Namco ever made an effort to port that game to the 8-bit Nintendo.

If I had to pick something that might actually exist, though - it would probably be a prototype of Turmoil [Atari 2600].

[T-Pac]

image.png.d67f3483932e2e6dbef90b45cb8c0f75.png

• Like 7

For grails I already own, there are these.  The top two are blanks and the bottom left green one has "Monoply" on it.  The New Leaf is blank.

Another "Grail" in this category might be one more New Leaf cartridge with Sonic 2 on it. I've had people tell me they were aware of one existing but this memory is quite volatile and I highly doubt anyone is going to replace the batteries because these items are so rare.  Note, I want one with Sonic 2 too complete the collection because I grew up in Columbia, which was the test market for these things.  When my brother and I would go to my Dad's house every other weekend, he'd often rent us a Sega Genesis and every time we would get Sonic 2.  I actually remember getting some of these cartridges back then, so not only have I played on a New Leaf cartridge, I've played Sonic 2 on one.

image.jpeg.c6e87ab6700504e031644bc1b7d11fac.jpeg

And the grail I don't own/never will would be the (probably) cel art for the sword that was used for almost all covers of American FF games.  I've deleted the image I made, but it  you take all of the covers from Final Fantasy Adventure, Legends II & III, Final Fantasy II & III for the SNES and resize them so the sword is the same height, you can flip between the layers and see that the sword on all 5 games is exactly the same.  So that's strong evidence that they all used the same cel art graphic, overlayed on top (or behind) their title and background graphics.

I asked around and held bank for a long time to hope to find that and purchase it but I eventually gave up.  The amount I held aside (which was 5 figures, to be clear) quickly became less and less likely to ever afford it and since I could never track down if that item even existed, I gave up.

Still... if I could get that, I'd feel complete.  Game over.  I've collected what I need.

Edited by RH
  • Like 4

Holy Grail I Want: Little Samson with box, manual, and inserts.

Holy Grail I Own: Just one? Difficult decision...

image.jpeg.1eed4fae7e1f66e6150c7944137250d1.jpeg

Super Mario Bros. 3 McDonald's Happy Meal toy display.

image.jpeg.09626d3b17f673046aebcee077498cbc.jpeg

Mega Man CES 1990 hat.

image.jpeg.034e8c11f19db4e52f67d5baab2b914f.jpeg

Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters on NES.

image.jpeg.d2621567b0ed663e132e29f28ba462dd.jpeg

A physical copy of Wonderland Dizzy (Kickstarter).

image.jpeg.d10b55014c79f565cf6ab27486246cfd.jpeg

image.jpeg.d91e3e8d26d8517aebac885edc60e3b5.jpeg

VHS containing recordings of eighteen Mega Man cartoon episodes when they were shown on Fox Family.

image.jpeg.c97788fdec712c1b6a26685535f64ae9.jpeg

Wendy: Every Witch Way on Game Boy Color.

image.jpeg.170f8ebd3280d160a8d8dd7fd437baac.jpeg

Sealed GameCube Component cable.

image.jpeg.db49770d4e830ffae9097810c87fee81.jpegt

Mega Man X Controller.

image.jpeg.8d4e851781c8ef249bad735c148c643c.jpeg

Or this Mario Party 4 Event Disc.

If I had to pick just one of these items, I guess it would be the Super Mario Bros. 3 Happy Meal toy display. It's basically the centerpiece of my collection.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

Homebrew games - you far whilst asleep and miss a release. Then there's no way you can get it, as you'll be priced out on the secondary market too. 

I can understand limited funds being available to hobbyists, but sometimes it feels as though folks are just making limited releases for the sake of making limited releases, and that sucks.

42 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Homebrew games - you far whilst asleep and miss a release. Then there's no way you can get it, as you'll be priced out on the secondary market too. 

I can understand limited funds being available to hobbyists, but sometimes it feels as though folks are just making limited releases for the sake of making limited releases, and that sucks.

I have to say I've found Star Keeper fascinating for years.  I definitely had to accept that that one will never be in my collection.

Also a complete set of the OG Christmas games that still come out each year.

7 minutes ago, RH said:

I have to say I've found Star Keeper fascinating for years.  I definitely had to accept that that one will never be in my collection.

While I don't know your budget or how insane you are w/r/t spending obscene amounts of money on video games, this is quite achievable. They're available somewhat regularly for sale and aren't like "generational wealth" level expensive. There's one on Ebay right now! (just don't look at the price)

It is definitely a fun game though, and it's got a great story, which makes for an excellent collectible.

3 minutes ago, Khromak said:

While I don't know your budget or how insane you are w/r/t spending obscene amounts of money on video games, this is quite achievable. They're available somewhat regularly for sale and aren't like "generational wealth" level expensive. There's one on Ebay right now! (just don't look at the price)

It is definitely a fun game though, and it's got a great story, which makes for an excellent collectible.

At this point in my collecting and wealth, unless I come into a lot of cash I'm not expecting, I don't see my self buying any game over $500 and, even then, it'd have to be one at a higher priority that Starkeeper.

I'm slowly working on a complete Game Gear set and maybe maaaaybe I'll sell off all of my "fluff" games that pad out my collection just to then turn around and buy the top 5-10 N64 titles just get a complete set for that system, but currently there's no plan for that.

Starkeeper's cool, but I'm not that motivated.  If the homebrew collector scene ever takes a major dive, then who knows.  Otherwise, I know I'm priced out of that market.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Social Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I feel like my budget for collecting individual games is WELL below the average collector on VGS.  I have finally settled on a very defined collection and find enjoyment in achieving that goal and diving into the unique items related to that collection.  But even with collecting for a modern system that many people ignore I find myself have some sticker price shock over some "rare" items.

No More Reds GIF by MLB

At lease with PSVR2 I'm getting on that boat from the get go so I can try and snag those rare items at MSRP when they are reasonable.

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Ankos said:

@FireHazard51So, is this just a scheme to figure out what everyone is hunting and beat us to the punch at getting it? 🤔

::puts note pad away:: I don't know where you came up with that idea.  I mean these are very well known expensive and well sought after items.  Not like these are unknown items that one may come across in a thrift store or garage sale and they have no clue what they have.

• Like 2