IGNORED

Game Debate #161: Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I have not finished it but even just from what I have played, it deserves a spot in the upper ranks of the GB library. I think it takes a unique twist on the Mario formula but manages to still feel like it belongs in the larger franchise.

8/10 at least, maybe higher whenever I get around to beating it.

Edited by Webhead123

Loved this game as a kid, played it over and over. A platform game with so many secrets to find still felt a bit novel at the time, but even returning to it I think it holds up well. Easily one of the best games on the classic Game Boy.

I'm still bitter that the sequels completely changed their approach, focusing entirely on the puzzle/secret hunting, with the platformer gameplay completely taking backseat - I would have loved another game in the style of the original.

• Like 1

I've limited experience with this game, I never had a game boy and I just played it when a friend brought his gameboy over growing up one day. I was absolutely hooked for the hour or so I played it. I might give a second score if I ever get around to giving it a proper playthrough, but for now it's an 8/10.

IIRC, this is the first platform game by Nintendo where you do not "die" or have lives.  It's been decades since I played this one but I recall Nintendo really, really hit a home run with this one and set a new standard and pattern that future Mario platform games would follow, at least in 2D space.

@Gloves, if you like Mario games and are not disinclined to play a Game Boy game, I think this might be the "must play" title of the three SML games for the handheld.  I can recommend all of the SML titles, but this one actually feels important to the future of how Mario games would would work going forward.

• Like 1

Amazing game.  I got it as a present at launch and I loved it then and I still enjoy it today. I think it's better than SML2, even though that game is still awesome.  When playing it for the very first time, I liked the concept that touching an enemy didn't necessarily hurt you, but touching the sharp part of an enemy definitely caused damage.  Great replay value in trying to get the best ending. 9 for me.

Spoiler

As a kid, I thought I was getting the best ending with the big castle, but as an adult I learned there is one better ending.  

It's a fun platformer with the typical Nintendo polish and lots of places to explore and things to find. They do an excellent job at conveying Wario's personality and vibe through the mechanics and gameplay. Also some pretty ridiculous but fitting music.

But, while very fitting for Wario, I think Wario's plodding, brutish nature in this game has resulted in action gameplay not quite up to Mario's standard (well, when Mario himself is living up to it anyways) - there's just so much less flow to everything compared to run-and-jump. And while the levels are fine and have some neat secrets, there's not many that comes to mind as particularly great. While I don't think it's quite as good, I can see why they went the direction they did for Wario Land II.

Was kinda conflicted but went with a very weak 8. Being Wario and smashing dudes' face and finding treasure is too fun and appealing to get too hung up on the shortcomings here.

This with the Virtual Boy were really the peak experience of Wario platform gaming.  Played more like a Mario game, with greed, lots of greed, and it was good.  NO dumb gimmicks like no-death, and puzzle play, it's just a nice set of stages of a multi-world game in the style of SMB gone bad.  Always irked me though, it was the duology of lies Nintendo pushed to move a new franchise.

I still wish I had got Super Mario Land 3, but Wario Land was just well done, still wanting on a real Super Mario World 2, though NSMBU/Deluxe basically would be that given its unique physics/mechanics. 😄

I 100%’ed when I was a little kid. One of my favorite Gameboy games. Even more than Mario Land 2. Although Mario Land 2 may be more mass appealing.

There is one complaint I have. The stage at the top of teapot mountain becomes inaccessible after the thing lands on top of it. This is a game ruining event for me. I like to be able to revisit every stage as much as I want

@DarkTone lol "great game" *votes good game* 😉 I think that made me laugh more than it should have haha.

I voted 8, but I really wish it had starred Mario instead. The gameplay is good, but it's not as jump-y rather it's more smash-y. I do love the Treasure system and them determining your castle when you beat the game.

Editorials Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

@DarkTone lol "great game" *votes good game* 😉 I think that made me laugh more than it should have haha.

I voted 8, but I really wish it had starred Mario instead. The gameplay is good, but it's not as jump-y rather it's more smash-y. I do love the Treasure system and them determining your castle when you beat the game.

I just assume he's trolling me at this point 😄

4 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Ah. The Meltzer method. 

WL2-4 aren't good, at least if you're after a Mario style Wario game.  They're just action puzzles, and they're incredibly NOT fun if not just downright boring or aggravating if you dislike that style of play as it's just a no death brain teaser of sorts to get through the stages as they go along.  WL on GB and WLVB are traditional platformers, so if you want a normal game with lives, the Mario take a hit or 2/super mechanic style platformer they're tops.  They should have retained this style and just did another line of Wario puzzle platformers, but instead went down that rabbit hole.