IGNORED

Game Debate #160: Mega Man 2

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

8/10

Still pretty fun after all these years, but I like Mega Man 3 and Mega Man 5 a little more. One flaw that Mega Man 2 has that other Mega Man games don't have (not even the first one) is that if Mega Man gets hit while there's a lot of sprite flickering, he actually moves back farther than normal. This is kind of cheap, and can make him fall during the Dragon battle or fall off platforms in the Wily stage 4 boss room.

Even so, I proudly display a Mega Man 2 poster in one of my game rooms. Respect to the first Mega Man game I played.

image.jpeg.e3392a90a3215922bbd74b2a63ddc2ad.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Agree 1

I have a hard time separating out my nostalgia for this one. It's one of the earliest games I owned after getting my NES. Without question my favorite of the NES series and in strong contention with Mega Man X for my favorite of the franchise. Probably in my top 10 favorite games on the system. The music is beyond iconic and I've beaten it many times. It's the video game equivalent of "comfort food" for me at this point.

So, in an effort to not be a complete slave to sentiment, I'm giving it 9/10. Not a perfect 10 because...I dunno...maybe it's less innovative than the later games or the Metal Blade kinda overshadows every other MM weapon ever conceived? Maybe one of the Wily Castle bosses is kinda janky if you're not prepared for it? Maybe some think it's too easy? Maybe I've just played the thing to death? Whatever. It's a fantastic game. It probably deserves a 10.

• Agree 2

"Never played it" isn't fair because I've probably put it in the NES and played it for 5-10 minutes, but I've never given it a good try.

My NES collection is missing Mega Man 1 and 5 and it's been a long-standing intention to pick them up and then play through the series.

I've often joked (as have others) that the "Best Mega Man is Duck Tales".  Well, I loved Duck Tales as a kid and was my favorite platform game on my GB by a super-wide margin and playing friends versions of DuckTales on the NES was always a huge treat when I borrowed.  Since those titles were both built on the Mega Man engine (or one version of it), I've always wanted to really, really give the MM series a try, but I just haven't yet.  I know MM2 is often a favorite by fans, but I just want to play through MM1 first before I jump into this.

Maybe I can trade for it...  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Murray said:

MM2 is not great if you compare it to MM3...

College Accuse GIF

MM3 is objectively the more robust game for sure, having the benefit of MM2 to learn from. That said, I honestly think they might have gone a bit too far with it in some places. I think MM3 marks the earliest signs of the series spiraling into absurdity...but only just barely. A couple of the robot masters are starting to stretch the premise a bit (Top Man, Gemini Man. Get it? 'Cause gems? Gem-ini! Get it?). The weapons are still *mostly* good but a few are...questionable. I like the introduction of Rush to replace the generic special items from MM2 but they can also be a bit gimmicky. The slide move is also mostly a gimmick, albeit a fun one to goof around with.

Also...why does Proto Man exist?

Edited by Webhead123
  • Agree 1

10/10

Shoutout to Video and Arcade Top 10 for stealing Crash Man's music. 🤣

Re: Mega Man 2. Not enough words can be said about how amazing this game is. 

I actually had it first and thought it was the original. 

As an 8 year old child you don't think of things like numbers and the "2" didn't mean much to me. It was just such an awesome game it blew my mind. 

Loved discovering Mega Man, but still always loved MM2 the most. 

Metal Blade > Everything.

42 minutes ago, Murray said:

MM2 is not great if you compare it to MM3...

How'd I miss this? Haha... great joke, though. I mean... you ARE joking, right?  🧐

Edited by AirVillain
  • Like 3

MM1 was a modest success. 2 was a passion project that the team worked on at night because Capcom wouldn't assign it, thinking it wasn't worthwhile. So the designers worked really hard to get it right and give this concept the structure and polish they felt it deserved.

Mega Man 2 perfected the formula. Mega Man 3 didn't take that kind of step.

• Like 1