IGNORED

Game Debate #160: Mega Man 2

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I only ever played this once and that was a while ago. I remember it being pretty good compared to the other NES Megaman game I fully played through (3). I liked that the jumps were a bit floatier than in 3 and don't remember feeling as fatigued with it since it does not have you go through remixes of past stages. I know some people like to talk about how overpowered Metal Blade is, but MM3 Rush Jet I think might be even more overpowered

I know that some people are bothered by "gotcha moments" where you get punished really hard for not knowing the stage prior to going in, but the game has passwords and the stages are short, so I think that those are pretty forgivable

I'll give it a 9. If I wind up liking one of the other ones more than it I guess I could justify bumping it down to an 8. I don't remember Megaman games playing wildly differently from one another, so I don't think that I could recommend that everyone needs to play all six of them, but I think that everyone should play at least one of them so it may as well be this one

Edited by Ankos
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 1:23 PM, Sumez said:

8/10, one of the best NES games. Squarely below MM3 and 4. Details on this have been discussed in countless previous VGS threads, so let's all refer to those 😅

Mega Man 4 is technically the best, even though it's not the best in anyone's mind (including mine). Thanks for reminding me of this.

• Confused 1

On 7/1/2023 at 11:40 PM, Link said:

Yeah, I agree. I can still go through the lasers easy and fun, but a lot of people are frustrated by them. I can't do the disappearing blocks in Heatman any more. Probably could if I would put the patience and practice in like I did back in the day, but these days I just zip by with Item-2.

I still do them manually, but I was thinking about this sort of situation the other day and will probably start a VGS thread about it.

On 7/1/2023 at 11:40 AM, Link said:

Yeah, I agree. I can still go through the lasers easy and fun, but a lot of people are frustrated by them. I can't do the disappearing blocks in Heatman any more. Probably could if I would put the patience and practice in like I did back in the day, but these days I just zip by with Item-2.

13 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I still do them manually, but I was thinking about this sort of situation the other day and will probably start a VGS thread about it.

I just use the weapon and stop the lazers. At one point I wanted to beat it "naturally" and I did, but it was pretty annoying so I just stop them now, haha.

I like the disappearing blocks in the Heat Man stage, but usually takes a few times to remember what the hell is going on so I just use the rocket there too. 🤣

I love it.... fuckin' see ya!

On 7/1/2023 at 11:48 AM, DoctorEncore said:

8/10 for me. I grew up with a copy of MM3 so that one will always hold first place in my heart. 2 is still great though.

Can you help me understand 3 a little better? 

Does 3 have Snake Man? Maybe that's 4.... 

What are the weapons in 3? I can't recall them being any good.... but maybe I'm wrong. The slide is nice. 🤔

My favourite part about Mega Man is the weapon variety.... so the games that don't have good weapons I'm not a huge fan of. The Snake weapon? WTF? 

The Snake Weapon just angers me so much I probably have a bias against the game, haha. 🙈

Note: Favourite Mega Man weapons of all time...

*Metal Blade
*Electric Shock (I think is the name? Elec Man from the OG)

Edited by AirVillain

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/6/2023 at 8:44 AM, AirVillain said:

Does 3 have Snake Man? 

Yes

On 7/6/2023 at 8:44 AM, AirVillain said:

What are the weapons in 3? I can't recall them being any good.... but maybe I'm wrong. The slide is nice. 🤔

My favourite part about Mega Man is the weapon variety.... so the games that don't have good weapons I'm not a huge fan of. The Snake weapon? WTF? 

The Hard Knuckle and Top Spin are definitely not my favorites and drag the game down in my eyes. I do like the Spark Shock, Shadow Blade, Needle Cannon, and Gemini Lasers.  They're good, even if some feel like generic projectiles with a name slapped on. Magnet Missiles on the other hand, great design and function, very cool and on-theme.

The good thing about the snake weapon is it runs along the floor, so it can sneak under Doc Robot Air Man's tornadoes, for instance. Been a long time since I played it so I can't remember what else, but it comes in handy here and there. I think there's even a boss who climbs up the wall, and the snake is the only way to hit him when he hangs out up there.

I a vacuum, 2 is a great game, but there are a number of of other Mega Man games I'd put over it when considering the series as a whole, and as such, kind of gets lost in the shuffle of the series. A solid 8/10, but the game is too easy for me to want to go back to it often considering the stages aren't as interesting to run through (for example, X is easy, but the stages are more interesting IMO).

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 1:49 PM, Link said:

Yes

The Hard Knuckle and Top Spin are definitely not my favorites and drag the game down in my eyes. I do like the Spark Shock, Shadow Blade, Needle Cannon, and Gemini Lasers.  They're good, even if some feel like generic projectiles with a name slapped on. Magnet Missiles on the other hand, great design and function, very cool and on-theme.

The good thing about the snake weapon is it runs along the floor, so it can sneak under Doc Robot Air Man's tornadoes, for instance. Been a long time since I played it so I can't remember what else, but it comes in handy here and there. I think there's even a boss who climbs up the wall, and the snake is the only way to hit him when he hangs out up there.

Well... I'll definitely take a closer look at those weapons next time I play. 

I mean... I know there's times where you're SUPPOSED to use the snake weapon and I'm sure it's great. But I guess I've just never gotten over the disappointment and underwhelming "first impression" of beating Snake Man, and trying his weapon for the first time. Beat Snake Man, immediately change into his suit on the next level to see what the weapon is, hoping it's something cool and awesome... and.... it's piddly little snakes sliding on the ground.... 🫠

Also note my favourite Mega Man weapon is Metal Blade, so part of the fun for me is raging on enemies with an awesome weapon. 🤣  So I'm probably unfairly comparing it, and holding it up against impossible standards. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

Also note my favourite Mega Man weapon is Metal Blade, so part of the fun for me is raging on enemies with an awesome weapon. 🤣  So I'm probably unfairly comparing it, and holding it up against impossible standards. 🤷‍♂️

Yes the omnidirectional blade that's powerful against almost everything and makes a cool sound and comes from a stage with some of the best music in the series? Hard to put anything up against that 😝 Sure, the little snakes are lame in comparison. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Link said:

Yes the omnidirectional blade that's powerful against almost everything and makes a cool sound and comes from a stage with some of the best music in the series? Hard to put anything up against that 😝 Sure, the little snakes are lame in comparison. 

Haha, I actually "lol'd" reading this. Excellent description of Metal Blade. 😆

True... Snake Weapon never stood a chance. 🤣

Lead Bubble is kinda lame, but not lame as baby garter snakes. I do respect the Lead Bubble somewhat... because of its use against Wily. It's SOMETHING. But Little Snakes??? CAMMAN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Link said:

And Heat Man, which maybe doesn't make the nost sense but it's kind of cool.

Yeah... just think vs Wily gives it more street cred. 😆

I guess it's great against Heat man because it's really really heavy water bubble made of lead? .... ummm... Wait.... water isn't lead. Can you have a lead AND water bubble? I don't know how lead reacts with flames. SSSssssooooo.... Yeah.... need a scientist. 

On 7/6/2023 at 9:44 AM, AirVillain said:

I just use the weapon and stop the lazers. At one point I wanted to beat it "naturally" and I did, but it was pretty annoying so I just stop them now, haha.

I like the disappearing blocks in the Heat Man stage, but usually takes a few times to remember what the hell is going on so I just use the rocket there too. 🤣

I love it.... fuckin' see ya!

Does 3 have Snake Man? Maybe that's 4.... 

The Snake Weapon just angers me so much I probably have a bias against the game, haha. 🙈

Note: Favourite Mega Man weapons of all time...

*Metal Blade
*Electric Shock (I think is the name? Elec Man from the OG)

Honestly, I couldn't tell you much about any of the NES Mega Man games except that 3 has Snake Man. I just know I had it as a kid so the nostalgia factor is real.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Honestly, I couldn't tell you much about any of the NES Mega Man games except that 3 has Snake Man. I just know I had it as a kid so the nostalgia factor is real.

I get it. That's the beauty of having 6 games to choose from. Most times you or one of your friends had ONE of the six. 🤣

Was Snake Man (not even sure of actual name) your favourite weapon, though?  😆

Haha, seems like Snake Man Weapon is The Lead Bubble for Mega Man 3. 

I will certainly pay MUCH closer attention to the weapons in 3 now, haha. And I'll use Snake Man for the above mentioned uses so I'm sure my respect for it will grow. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

I get it. That's the beauty of having 6 games to choose from. Most times you or one of your friends had ONE of the six. 🤣

Was Snake Man (not even sure of actual name) your favourite weapon, though?  😆

Haha, seems like Snake Man Weapon is The Lead Bubble for Mega Man 3. 

I will certainly pay MUCH closer attention to the weapons in 3 now, haha. And I'll use Snake Man for the above mentioned uses so I'm sure my respect for it will grow. 

Oh, absolutely not. The Snake weapon sucked hahaha. I just loved that stage and could beat Snake Man pretty handily with the buster so I replayed it a thousand times.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:43 AM, DoctorEncore said:

Oh, absolutely not. The Snake weapon sucked hahaha. I just loved that stage and could beat Snake Man pretty handily with the buster so I replayed it a thousand times.

Haha, okay, just checking.... I mean... I guess it's possible for someone to LOVE the Snake Weapon, haha. Still looking for that person apparently. 

Great reasons to replay the stage, though. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Was the first in the series I ever played, and I played it a lot. Never owned it as a child but seemed we always either rented it or borrowed it from a friend. I remember my brother recording the soundtrack with an old boombox, we liked it that much. A big step from the first in the series; if it wasn’t for this one, there probably wouldn’t be a mega man franchise. 10/10 for me. 

• Love 1

On 7/22/2023 at 10:43 AM, DoctorEncore said:

I just loved that stage and could beat Snake Man pretty handily with the buster so I replayed it a thousand times.

It does remind me of the Wood Man stage in MM2 a lot, which is among my favorites. You've got a final section of navigating sky-borne platforms, with additional challenge of the rising and falling discs, which also showcase a new rotational effect in sprite technology. And there are 2 or 3 of the "mid-bosses" that Kitamura mentions in the above interview, in an arena of platforms on various heights made more challenging by having them shift in real time. 

It's also a good stage for doing the superjump and invincibility hacks, speaking of activities to enjoy this game with a sibling ↓ 

1 hour ago, Sydpinkfloyd said:

I remember my brother recording the soundtrack with an old boombox, we liked it that much.

I did this too! 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 1:11 PM, Link said:

And Heat Man, which maybe doesn't make the nost sense but it's kind of cool.

I just figured the bubbles were supposed to be filled with water and that's what gave them the weight. I always thought it was the Bubble Lead as in it leads the way, not the lead like the metal.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 2:49 PM, Renmauzo said:

I a vacuum, 2 is a great game, but there are a number of of other Mega Man games I'd put over it when considering the series as a whole, and as such, kind of gets lost in the shuffle of the series. A solid 8/10, but the game is too easy for me to want to go back to it often considering the stages aren't as interesting to run through (for example, X is easy, but the stages are more interesting IMO).

Which games would you put over 2? I like MMX a lot but I find myself losing interest late game where MM2 keeps me motivated until the final boss. 

2 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Which games would you put over 2? I like MMX a lot but I find myself losing interest late game where MM2 keeps me motivated until the final boss. 

Good question! I really enjoy 3 and feel it offers more challenge. 5, which has interesting levels even though it is REALLY easy. 8 is probably my favourite of the classics and stacks up for me as one of the best overall. 11 is rock solid throughout and a joy to play. X4 is consistent albeit way too easy (but really fun), and I like X5 minus the scaling system that makes the Mavericks a joke for a good chunk of the game. 

I haven't put in much time with 9 & 10 to be able to speak on them much, but I really enjoy all the games in both the original and X series' (outside of X6 - X8). However, in the same vein of what you mentioned regarding late game X1, there are various balancing, pacing, and creativity issues that drop the rest below MM2 for me 🙂