IGNORED

Juneteenth is a US holiday, what you are doing?

FireHazard51

Are you "celebrating Juneteenth"?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you "celebrating Juneteenth"?

• Hell yeah, new federal holiday!
    • I live in the USA and don't get the day off
    • What's that? (live in USA)
    • What's that? (live outside USA)

Went over to my neighbors, they have kids too so they had a slip and slide and a small bounce house setup for the kids. Came home so bubba could nap and played Diablo 4. Probably get some food and lounge for the rest of the day. 

In all seriousness as a Caucasian I’m not really sure how to celebrate Juneteenth. I do know shame on the 20 or so states that don’t recognize it. 

Social Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Went over to my neighbors, they have kids too so they had a slip and slide and a small bounce house setup for the kids. Came home so bubba could nap and played Diablo 4. Probably get some food and lounge for the rest of the day. 

In all seriousness as a Caucasian I’m not really sure how to celebrate Juneteenth. I do know shame on the 20 or so states that don’t recognize it. 

I think having it be a holiday will help teach people about the history and why it's a holiday.  Most people don't know when slavery officially ended.  That pretty much is the reason for the holiday.  Not every holiday requires people to do something.  Memorial Day is a good example.  Most people celebrate that day in a why that has nothing to do with what the holiday is about.

I know in Cincinnati there is actual event that that has been going on every year.  Long before it was a national holiday.  The cool thing is school will likely do something about the holiday.  Teaching the next generation so people don't forget is probably the most important thing.

• Like 2

Social Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Its actually a federal holiday where you get a day off?  I had no idea.

It was made a holiday like 3 days before it happen.  In Ohio they RUSHED to get it approved so we could have that day off when it was made into a federal holiday.  Not sure if was a union contract thing that we get every federal holiday off.  Veteran's Day is great example of a federal holiday that most people never get off.

• Like 1

Yes, it was made federal holiday very recently. I think for last year but it could have been 2021.

I live in the USA and don't get the day off. I do get overtime pay though, so I guess that's what I did to "celebrate". That and we didn't have to wear uniforms. We did take a group picture after shift. About 15 people got in on it. 

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

In all seriousness as a Caucasian I’m not really sure how to celebrate Juneteenth.

Honestly, I think you can go to any celebration whether public or held by people you know. As a white people I wouldn't host, but celebrating freedom of our fellow people is a good thing and I think you would be welcome for it. Most of my co-workers are Black, I was the only white person in the picture and nobody looked at me sideways. One even asked me where was my shirt (most people were wearing African colors ⬛🟥🟨🟩) I hadn't heard about coordination and don't usually dress for any holiday except Halloween 🤷‍♀️ I wore all black as usual anyway. Just for the love of god don't wear kente cloth like our genius white Democrat senators did a few years ago 🙄 Maybe that's when it was federalized. Anyway if you like barbecue I say feel free to go to any barbecue you are invited to like I do on Memorial Day like FH mentioned, even though I am not a veteran or dead person.

• Like 1

My union doesn’t get it off, nor do we get any overtime pay but we operate on a collective bargaining agreement that is up every three years so that’s when we coordinate our holidays. Maybe next cycle we will get it. 

I, too, am a white people, and I’m happy it is now a federal holiday.

I'm sure someone will get sore, but it's just another day to me, and I didn't get it off.

My work gives off MLK day though in the last couple of years.  I mean I get it and I don't at the same time for having a day off, it's a recent change under Biden if I remember right.

26 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I mean I get it and I don't at the same time for having a day off, it's a recent change under Biden if I remember right.

Both Biden and Trump talked about making it a holiday. It's really not a left or right issue.

3 hours ago, Link said:

......Just for the love of god don't wear kente cloth like our genius white Democrat senators did a few years ago 🙄 ....

Heh - that is one of my favorite moments of Congressional cluelessness (on more than one level) - right up there in memorableness (not of the good sort) as was a House member being worried that Guam would tip over if a naval base there was expanded. 

download(20).jpeg.92754d6962a5d7fa1aa81d9249bfa402.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

I saw this on our work calendar (up here in Canada) and I was like, "what the fuck is Juneteenth?!?"  and had to look it up.  I don't think this will ever be a holiday in Canada since the British Empire ended slavery before Canada was even a country, but we did add a new holiday in September for aboriginal people last year...

49 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I saw this on our work calendar (up here in Canada) and I was like, "what the fuck is Juneteenth?!?"  and had to look it up.  I don't think this will ever be a holiday in Canada since the British Empire ended slavery before Canada was even a country, but we did add a new holiday in September for aboriginal people last year...

Canada is still not a real country! 😄   I mean your head of state and the guy on all your coins and $20 bill is a king 3000ish miles away...

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

Heh - that is one of my favorite moments of Congressional cluelessness (on more than one level) - right up there in memorableness (not of the good sort) as was a House member being worried that Guam would tip over if a naval base there was expanded. 

download(20).jpeg.92754d6962a5d7fa1aa81d9249bfa402.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Estil said:

Canada is still not a real country! 😄   I mean your head of state and the guy on all your coins and $20 bill is a king 3000ish miles away...

And it was on this Juneteenth that Estil brought upon himself the wrath of every Canadian VGS member. It was a dark day indeed.

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You guys (as a colony) actually ended slavery earlier than just about anyone. Definitely first in the Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_Against_Slavery

• Like 1