IGNORED

Juneteenth is a US holiday, what you are doing?

FireHazard51

Are you "celebrating Juneteenth"?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you "celebrating Juneteenth"?

• Hell yeah, new federal holiday!
    • I live in the USA and don't get the day off
    • What's that? (live in USA)
    • What's that? (live outside USA)

17 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

If that's where you're getting your sex tips, who am I to judge. 😛

Well at the end of the day the concept of the stereotype black dude sexuality goes back to that, yeah it has racist roots, so I'd honestly caution anyone from making jokes of that flavor. 

Here's just one article on the topic, though if you search scholarly databases you can pull up tons of analyses of the topic.

https://jimcrowmuseum.ferris.edu/brute/homepage.htm

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Small internet forum thread made up entirely of priveleged white male respondents gets into heated argument over new holiday commemorating the emancipation of black people from slavery...  News at 11.

I am still waiting for my membership card and decoder ring.  The poor white trash (actually just poor trash since there were no minorities where/when I grew up - so we got to fill in) didn't get those no matter what we did.

19 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Also, just throwing it out there, I quite enjoyed reading the book that @Tabonga had mentioned earlier, the German Slave Girl or whatever it was called. Read it back in 2006 or so. 

The one drop rule is also a very disturbing concept, for those interested in the topic.

It was a sad ending since she couldn't free her children without risking being re-enslaved her self.

• Agree 1

Those who can't relate historical events to current events will probably reject new ideas as much as lessons from the past. How is that for a corollary to the "know history or fail" axiom? Regardless of verbage if you don't like that, I beg you to consider that America was built on rebellion against power. To now say that the people in power before weren't so bad because they weren't the only ones operating that way... like, yeah, popular stance in 1620 or 1863 but we should MAYBE be trying to move away from those attitudes. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Link said:

Those who can't relate historical events to current events will probably reject new ideas as much as lessons from the past. How is that for a corollary to the "know history or fail" axiom? Regardless of verbage if you don't like that, I beg you to consider that America was built on rebellion against power. To now say that the people in power before weren't so bad because they weren't the only ones operating that way... like, yeah, popular stance in 1620 or 1863 but we should MAYBE be trying to move away from those attitudes. 

Oh I totally agree. It's weird that I need to declare / pay American taxes while living and working abroad, I mean didn't the colonists have an issue with paying taxes to an entity halfway across the world? Hmm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
10 hours ago, Estil said:

Then again it was liberal Democrats Joe Lieberman and Tipper Gore who lead the charge of video game censorship...

She's the reason you have those fancy black and white "parental advisory" labels on music.  

Warrant scored one of those on their Cherry Pie album solely for their "Ode to Tipper Gore" track.

I didn't know what Juneteenth was till 5 years or so ago. It wasn't taught in NH growing up. For that matter, MLK day wasn't a thing either when I was a kid in NH. I'm glad the times are changing. 

I live that restaurant life and had a very busy day like most other federal holidays that fall on a Monday. I made lots of tacos and burritos for people celebrating the day off.

• Like 3

Social Team · Posted
8 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Oh I totally agree. It's weird that I need to declare / pay American taxes while living and working abroad, I mean didn't the colonists have an issue with paying taxes to an entity halfway across the world? Hmm.

Death and Taxes.  Seeing how you live in Taiwan, I would say paying taxes to the US is an issuance policy to get evacuated.  Also the phrase is "no taxation without representation"  You can't vote in federal elections?  I thought you lived in Taiwan and not D.C. or Puerto Rico or any of the other US territories.

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Death and Taxes.  Seeing how you live in Taiwan, I would say paying taxes to the US is an issuance policy to get evacuated.  Also the phrase is "no taxation without representation"  You can't vote in federal elections?  I thought you lived in Taiwan and not D.C. or Puerto Rico or any of the other US territories.

All US citizens can vote, regardless of where they are living.

Social Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, G-type said:

Voting and having an elected official who can actual vote on bills that represents you is the issue.  In @fcgamer case I'm guessing he's got two state senators an one house of representative member who could represent his taxing issues that he can complain to instead of VGS members who unfortunately can not.  At lease I don't think we have any Congressional members in VGS.  But if you are D.C. resident you are shit of luck on proper representation, sorry @Scrobins.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

She's the reason you have those fancy black and white "parental advisory" labels on music.  

Warrant scored one of those on their Cherry Pie album solely for their "Ode to Tipper Gore" track.

Yeah about those...you know how many fellow students I seen at the time with those on their backpacks and notebooks and such?  Yeah, all that does is make it more appealing!

Editorials Team · Posted

2 hours ago, Estil said:

Yeah about those...you know how many fellow students I seen at the time with those on their backpacks and notebooks and such?  Yeah, all that does is make it more appealing!

"Oh, dang,you got that Sugar Ray album?  How'd you swing that with your mom, bro?

Real conversations

• Haha 1

Social Team · Posted

HA!  Canada isn't so perfect after all.  You guys have your own kinda Juneteenth day.  But instead of being about slaves it's about Native Americans, National Day for Truth and Reconciliation

Spoiler

Yeah let's NOT discuss the US's issues with Native Americans.  We are just now finally stopping the naming of sport teams after racial slurs for Native Americans 😅

Moderator · Posted
16 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

First cassette tape I ever bought with my own money, had to trick my grandma into checking out with it though and gave her the money after. 

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

HA!  Canada isn't so perfect after all.  You guys have your own kinda Juneteenth day.  But instead of being about slaves it's about Native Americans, National Day for Truth and Reconciliation

Oh, yeah, the residential schools thing that recently got a lot of attention is pretty heavy. 

Whatever. Canada (or, apparently, Ceenada) is just America's hat anyway 😝 

21 hours ago, Link said:

Oh, yeah, the residential schools thing that recently got a lot of attention is pretty heavy. 

Forget "climate change", maybe it's "gravitational pull change" we better worry about! 😄 

Edited by Estil