IGNORED

Juneteenth is a US holiday, what you are doing?

FireHazard51

Are you "celebrating Juneteenth"?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you "celebrating Juneteenth"?

• Hell yeah, new federal holiday!
    • I live in the USA and don't get the day off
    • What's that? (live in USA)
    • What's that? (live outside USA)

5 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

We could put a poll up and see who thinks racism is not bad.  And one to see who thinks slavery is not bad.  (The two are actually separate issues if one stops to think about it. Just saying.)

I know that they’re two separate concepts. But in the scope of American history they do in fact go hand in hand. A couple of outliers doesn’t absolve that connection.

You can think racism and slavery are bad and still say something that is racist, ignorant, or at the very least tone-deaf. I’ve known plenty of people who had racists thoughts, comments, or beliefs but thought they weren’t. But that’s not even my point - I’m more raising my eyebrows at people who will not outright say it or can’t say it without peppering in various additives.

Just now, Strange said:

I know that they’re two separate concepts. But in the scope of American history they do in fact go hand in hand. A couple of outliers doesn’t absolve that connection.

You can think racism and slavery are bad and still say something that is racist, ignorant, or at the very least tone-deaf. I’ve known plenty of people who had racists thoughts, comments, or beliefs but thought they weren’t. But that’s not even my point - I’m more raising my eyebrows at people who will not outright say it or can’t say it without peppering in various additives.

It was a joke - sorry if it was beyond you.  

Who the f**k in their right mind would answer such a poll hoestly if they believed such things.  (Sorry you seem to have run with a rather sad lot.)

I have mostly tried to put some light on facets of things that often remain hidden (because they are not popular methinks).  (And no I am not an intellectual for the bright inquiring minds out there - I have read an awful lot  over the years though (and actually still do). If I have said anything that is not factual I am willing to discuss that with you in a rational manner - assuming it was not in a jocular vein that is.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Who the f**k in their right mind would answer such a poll hoestly if they believed such things.  (Sorry you seem to have run with a rather sad lot.)

You’d be quite surprised. People who hold such beliefs have become quite emboldened lately. If we had folks like that here on VGS then they might not be brave enough to rep it in such an insular community but in a large forum or social media site? Absolutely there would be some who own it without shame.

(And for the record - I don’t hang out with those types of people. I do call out problematic things amongst family and friends if I hear it but I do not actively associate with people who hold those types of beliefs.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I dunno how someone posting a meme asking what people are gonna do on a holiday turns into this. 

Might be on the first page, where a post starts with “I know someone will get sore, but….” Things were peachy prior to that.

Which is hilariously like starting off a chat with “No offense, but…..” . You 100% know its going to be offensive.

PS. I know you knew that 😝

Anyways Juneteenth isnt a holiday to be “celebrated” unless you feel a deep attachment to it- just remembered.

so if a young child asks  “Why do we have it off?”

You can tell him “I don’t know but it might have to do with a plunger or donut

”it was the day the good guy government freed the slaves from the southern states who committed treason by taking up arms against the united states, in the name of owning black people like cattle.  Those states have been mad at the gov’t for years now”

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

”.....  Those states have been mad at the gov’t for years now”

For what it is worth you still won't see many Sherman Streets or Lincoln Boulevards in the south.

Since this thread seems to be pretty derailed you will still see these down there occasionally:

download(24).jpeg.9bb479631dc097d61d832b89254085d1.jpeg

Edited by Tabonga

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

Mods - I think I’ve done a good job of abstaining from these types of heated threads lately but I’m sorry for contributing to this one.

Dont apologize my guy, you did nothing wrong.  Calling out terrible takes is what the internet is for!

Plus a little engagement is good for the site, we had 14 posts in the last 7 hours

Just now, Strange said:

The absolute best progressive+left wing organizing and community engagement I’ve ever seen were in southern states. 🙂 I’m not defending Florida though.

I don’t doubt it. Thank you Stacey Abrahms! 

2 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

For what it is worth you still won't see many Sherman Streets or Lincoln Boulevards in the south.

Since this thread seems to be pretty derailed you will still see these down there occasionally:

download(24).jpeg.9bb479631dc097d61d832b89254085d1.jpeg

Or Lee middle school out west 😉

Is that some sort of confederate or slavery historical Marker? It looks like the international “ribbon” symbol to support a cause. 

9 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Or Lee middle school out west 😉

Is that some sort of confederate or slavery historical Marker? It looks like the international “ribbon” symbol to suptport a cause. 

It is what was called a Sherman necktie (sometimes bowtie) - on the famous (or infamous depending on your perspective) march to the sea as part of the total devastation (intentionally made) Sherman's troops would tear up railroad rails, heat them on bonfires made from the wooden ties and wrap the rails  around trees.  No only would that make the rails impossible to straighten (which could be done if you started out with a fairly straight one) but the trees had to be cut if you wanted to try to remelt the rails to reuse the metal.  The south had almost no capacity to make metal objects - they only had one major foundry - the Tredegar works in Richmond.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Is that some sort of confederate or slavery historical Marker? It looks like the international “ribbon” symbol to support a cause. 

Sherman necktie.

During Sherman's March to the Sea, they tore up the Confederate railroads and twisted the rails like that.

Pretty much broke the back of the South at that point.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Strange said:

Mods - I think I’ve done a good job of abstaining from these types of heated threads lately but I’m sorry for contributing to this one.

This might sound high-falutin' to some people, but I'd advise anyone of that reaction to consider the level of discourse and interaction we're at, here on a discussion forum where they surely claim "everyone is entitled to their opinion" especially when questioned, whether or not they realize that is a two-way street:

Don't condone or ignore injustice in the name of peace. 

11 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Oh and i liked the part where he compared an actual nationwide federally observed holiday to made up nonsense holidays observed by no one, instead of not clicking on this thread and not replying. 

I was gonna say something about, I don't observe Flag Day, or really any holiday as much as Halloween and Christmas, and I don't bother opening my mouth about it. 

Sure this is a topic in the news, because it's something (of relatively little impact) involving the government, but I also don't pop in on threads about celebrity deaths to say I don't care, because... why would you do that?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/19/texas-book-bans/

Sounds like texas is off to a great start!

Indeed it was not that long ago that it was the radical Bible thumpers who did most of the cancel culturing and the left/ACLU types who were the most jealously guarding of free speech...

Then again it was liberal Democrats Joe Lieberman and Tipper Gore who lead the charge of video game censorship...

Social Team · Posted
2 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

What a great idea, I’m sure it will be answered truthfully too

Jesus 😂😂😂

sorry @FireHazard51 I do appreciate the sentiment behind the thread you were trying to convey. Before this gets locked, of course. 

I was listening to NPR and heard that like 20 states haven't acknowledge the new federal holiday and how many people don't know what Juneteenth was.  Hell I didn't know until they made it a national holiday.  I'm sure I'll learn more and more about it as the years go on.  So I thought it would be cool to ask what people are doing on a holiday while casually asking US residents if they knew about Juneteenth and maybe let our other international members know some interesting new trivia about the US.  "What's the newest federal holiday in the US?"  Good thing I didn't make a post about Pride Month...

Spoiler

HUYxZs.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

Your mom doesn’t seem to have any issue with black dudes.  

I'm pretty sure the stereotype of black dude sexuality has ties to racist roots...the idea of the black buck perhaps? I'd need to research as it's been fifteen years since I studied it. 

• Haha 1