IGNORED

Juneteenth is a US holiday, what you are doing?

FireHazard51

Are you "celebrating Juneteenth"?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you "celebrating Juneteenth"?

• Hell yeah, new federal holiday!
    • I live in the USA and don't get the day off
    • What's that? (live in USA)
    • What's that? (live outside USA)

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Both Biden and Trump talked about making it a holiday. It's really not a left or right issue.

Never said it was.  I'm just saying it was changed at this time is all.  When I said set someone off, I just don't consider it a holiday but another day of the week just like all the other random stuff you need to google to find out what holiday of the day it is these days.  Cheeseburger day, national donut day, national cheesy socks day, alien abduction day, etc.
https://nationaltoday.com/weird-national-holidays/

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

And it was on this Juneteenth that Estil brought upon himself the wrath of every Canadian VGS member. It was a dark day indeed.

And Tulpa is declaring to speak for all Canadian VGS members.  Yeah that's sooooo much better!

Moderator · Posted
26 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Never said it was.  I'm just saying it was changed at this time is all.  When I said set someone off, I just don't consider it a holiday but another day of the week just like all the other random stuff you need to google to find out what holiday of the day it is these days.  Cheeseburger day, national donut day, national cheesy socks day, alien abduction day, etc.

Are you seriously equating a holiday commemorating the announcement of the end of slavery to slaves in the Confederacy to cheeseburger day? What the hell is wrong with you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Estil said:

And Tulpa is declaring to speak for all Canadian VGS members.  Yeah that's sooooo much better!

I was made an honorary Canadian in 2014 when I singlehandedly negotiated a peace treaty between Canada and Paraguay, narrowly averting war.

Ask any Canadian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Excuse Me What GIF by CBS

It's a new holiday so you can be forgiven in not knowing what it is.  Given that is a FEDERAL holiday I think you should take 3 minutes to turn on the news and educate yourself on what the holiday is about.  To dismiss it as any other "national" day like national donut day is ignorant as fuck.  Do you have the same opinion as MLK Day too?

3 hours ago, Estil said:

Canada is still not a real country! 😄   I mean your head of state and the guy on all your coins and $20 bill is a king 3000ish miles away...

I'm English, so that's fine with me! 😛   All hail King Charles the THIRD!!!!!

EDIT - And I haven't actually seen a single piece of money with the King on it yet; all of the money in my city still has the Queen, so maybe they're waiting for next year (his first full regnal year) to mint his likeness or something, I really don't know...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

A couple of different names. Jubilee Day seemed to be the most common. 

It was a Texas African American observance for a long time, and other states had similar celebrations on other dates. Juneteenth was settled on sometime after that. It became a national holiday in 2021.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Scrobins said:

Are you seriously equating a holiday commemorating the announcement of the end of slavery to slaves in the Confederacy to cheeseburger day? What the hell is wrong with you?

Its okay, he got one post in before saying something repulsive. 

Literally compared the end of slavery to donut day lol

Administrator · Posted
7 hours ago, Tulpa said:

A couple of different names. Jubilee Day seemed to be the most common. 

It was a Texas African American observance for a long time, and other states had similar celebrations on other dates. Juneteenth was settled on sometime after that. It became a national holiday in 2021.

The tricky thing was when it became a federal holiday.   It had some way short run-up (like a week's notice maybe?) in 2021 so there was confusion when the banks and post offices were suddenly closed that year.

Moderator · Posted
14 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

The tricky thing was when it became a federal holiday.   It had some way short run-up (like a week's notice maybe?) in 2021 so there was confusion when the banks and post offices were suddenly closed that year.

That’s the crazy part. I work for the Postal Service and I didn’t get it off the first year because their attitude was that they couldn’t shut down the mail on 3-days’ notice.

Social Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

That’s the crazy part. I work for the Postal Service and I didn’t get it off the first year because their attitude was that they couldn’t shut down the mail on 3-days’ notice.

Ha!  The Friday before the State of Ohio was still putting the paperwork in to make sure we were off on the following Monday.  I'm guessing working on a federal holiday would be time and a half for all the workers.  I can't believe the hirer ups would work that hard if it didn't mean saving money. Hope they paid you over time for working on a federal holiday 😏

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The fuck? Tucker Carlsen masturbating to …. …. …. Edited for the children. 

Edit 2:  edit one was not mean enough.

What does @Tanookilike on his doughnuts?

White Powder.

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

IMG_6038.gif

How would you react if someone said what you just said but about Veteran’s Day or Memorial Day?

Edited by Strange
  • Like 1

I don't care for donuts much or powdered sugar on anything really but I get it, lame miss the mark racism joke.

I do know what the holiday is meant to be could be also called emancipation day which sounds nicer.

It's not the only federal holiday I don't really care about.  And no I don't have an issue with nor do I dismiss veterans and memorial day either, same with MLK I get that entirely.

As I said I knew it wouldn't be a popular comment.  I do find it amusing seeing the reactions to it assuming a whole lot.

I have no good way to word it without setting someone off, but I'm just over specialized days and months over history, issues, and/or grievances of the past.  Move on, not backwards or staying in place.  Tired of the whole this or that forme and not for three stuff.  You want equality, act equal, don't just preach it and want more.

8 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I have no good way to word it without setting someone off, but I'm just over specialized days and months over history, issues, and/or grievances of the past.  Move on, not backwards or staying in place.

You do know the phrase, "Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it", right?

Sorry if it brings up uncomfortable reminders that we used to be shit human beings, but that's not moving backwards. That's making sure it doesn't happen again.

And do you not see that equating a day that's important to millions with days like "Barbie-in-a-Blender Day" is basically saying, "your holiday is unimportant"? Or basically "if it doesn't benefit me directly, I don't give a shit"?

Because that's not a good look. But if that's how you want to be viewed, embrace it.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

Moderator · Posted

To be fair, Tanooki is some white guy who’s never had security eyeball him while he’s gone shopping, or had to fear for his life whenever he’s been pulled over by the police. He’s never known people staring at him in his neighborhood with glares that communicated that he didn’t belong. He never had someone assume he was dumb or a criminal just from looking at him.

So of course he’s going to casually dismiss anything that recognizes and brings attention to discrimination to peoples who have endured real hardship, because he can’t handle the fact that someone besides him is ever the victim.

Haha we get it, your lame racism joke didn’t land. You can’t be bothered to crack open a book or do a simple google search. Nobody cares that you’re over “specialized” holidays. They aren’t for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't want to feed into some back and forward so this is it.

If you don't want history to repeat, then teach it in a history course, history videos and texts on and offline, and so on.  Keep it in perspective, fresh, and educated upon from school forward.

I'm equating many days or stretches of days as unnecessarily put up as a holiday or moment because it bucks equality with isolating a person place or group as the thing of the period.  If you want equality (how stuff is now, it's fantasy I know it) then everyone should just be treated equally no matter if they're on whatever color spectrum, sex, interest, and so on.  Just be you.

I don't care if it looks bad, I wasn't trying to score some popularity or anti-popularity points.  I'm just putting it out there equality is being pooped on in the face of breeding more inequality.

If someone wants more detail, to drag this out or whatever, fine... send it to message.  I really don't want to take this thread over for more laughable hooded imagery and assumptions.

Scrobins please, projecting much?

Edited by Tanooki

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

I don't want to feed into some back and forward so this is it.

If you don't want history to repeat, then teach it in a history course, history videos and texts on and offline, and so on.  Keep it in perspective, fresh, and educated upon from school forward.

I'm equating many days or stretches of days as unnecessarily put up as a holiday or moment because it bucks equality with isolating a person place or group as the thing of the period.  If you want equality (how stuff is now, it's fantasy I know it) then everyone should just be treated equally no matter if they're on whatever color spectrum, sex, interest, and so on.  Just be you.

I don't care if it looks bad, I wasn't trying to score some popularity or anti-popularity points.  I'm just putting it out there equality is being pooped on in the face of breeding more inequality.

If someone wants more detail, to drag this out or whatever, fine... send it to message.  I really don't want to take this thread over for more laughable hooded imagery and assumptions.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/19/texas-book-bans/

Sounds like texas is off to a great start!