IGNORED

Analogue Pocket - Will game prices rise?

Will prices on NGPC, GG, or Lynx games rise when Analogue Pocket is released?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Will game prices on NGPC, Game Gear,, or Lynx rise?

• YES. Renewed interest in these systems will cause a price increase.
    • NO. There is not enough demand, people, or interest.

With the announcement that the Analog Pocket will play Neo Geo Pocket Color, Lynx, and Game Gear games with adapters, do you think prices will rise on these niche console games? This is the first time many people will have access to a device that plays Neo Geo Pocket Color games. Before the AP, who wanted to play NGPC games on an unlit screen? And with the Mega SG's upcoming Game Gear support, that increases the amount of people that may get into the GG library.

Do you think there will be enough userbase on Analog devices or demand that prices will rise? I hope not. But I don't think it's likely.

I am looking forward to the Analog Pocket!

Image result for analog pocket nintendolife

I think it's an amazing looking product, but I can't see it making much of a splash outside of the current retro market.  I don't know that there are very many people sitting around wishing they could play GG or NGPC games, waiting for something better to play them on.  Also, the entry point is pretty steep.  $200 is a lot of money for most people.  

I can't decide if it interests me, personally.  I like the idea that it docks to a TV with HDMI, but I wonder how much I would utilize it.  I'm a real sucker for playing games on original hardware.

28 minutes ago, epiclotus said:

I can't decide if it interests me, personally.  I like the idea that it docks to a TV with HDMI, but I wonder how much I would utilize it.  I'm a real sucker for playing games on original hardware.

I agree with you that $200 is a bit too prohibitive for enough people to get one.

I generally like using original hardware as well. Ill stick with my ags 101 for all the Gameboy stuff. But man, we really needed this for those other systems. It's definitely going to make me more enthusiastic about exploring these libraries.

20191018_001228.jpg

Edited by acromite53

Yeah, GG is especially rough.  I've got one that looks pretty decent, but I like the look of the LCD mods (McWill mod).  I'm more apt to go for something like that because then I'm still holding a Game Gear in my hands, just improved and tweaked a bit.  Atari Lynx, I think, has similar issues.  AGS-101 GBA's are amazing.  Best thing to ever happen to the whole GB line.

There are lots of ways to play Game Boy games well enough from GBA to GBP to SGB, so I don’t see a crazy rush of demand as everyone suddenly goes to buy GB games they could never play.

I was worried about Sega import prices with the Mega Sg, but how long has that thing been out and they still don’t have the cart adapters? If/when they make an SG-1000 or whatever adapter I think the hype will have died down enough to have a smaller impact than if it launched with one.

I also think because it has an SD card slot, tons of people are just going to load it up with ROMs. Many people don’t care about playing carts they just see the letters FPGA and want that thing.

Handhelds are HOT right now. China has been pumping out nice hardware up grades for the GBA and GBC at a reasonable price now ips screens that easily Trump the AGS101 ship for around $40-50 for both the GBA and GBC. Even the neo geo pocket has a nice ips screen fs at around the same price. They're all plug and play installs too where you only have to solder if you want a brightness control. I think bc of these QOL accessories being some easy to get and install that most enthusiastists have the games they want to play or flash carts already. Analogue is just capitalizing on an already existing market for a reasonable price point and added accessabitity.

• Like 1

I think this product will attract some new interest in playing the must have games. You might get people who never played these handhelds before as well as people not really into handhelds originally. 

I was never really into handhelds, but I think the versatility of this product is amazing and worth the price rather than me buying original hardware. It’s close enough to having the real thing for me. However, I won’t hold my breath on the adapters. They still don’t have the GG adapter for the Mega Sg and took forever to make the DAC.

Administrator · Posted

I'm absolutely getting this as well as the dock, but honestly I think I already have basically all the games I need. I may consider looking into some "best of" lists to bulk up the handheld collection a bit, and perhaps dip a little into these other non-Nintendo handhelds to see how they hold up. Really excited to get my hands on it!

I foresee a long, but steady decline in interest in retro gaming in general over the next few years, with rises in prices only in the upper echelon of rarities and mint condition to sealed fan favorites.

Niche consoles and handhelds like TG-16/CD and Neo Geo AES/CD/Pocket/Color will be looked at in the future how ColecoVision, Intellivision, Odyssey 2 and Microvision are looked at today...where NES/SNES/Master System/Genesis is the analog to 2600.

• Like 1

I don't think this will cause any sort of meteoric rise across the spectrum, but I do see the potential for some price bumps of the lesser known/used systems (Lynx, NGPC) versus what we've seen before.  Honestly, so long as an Everdrive-equivalent exists for any/all systems, I don't see it as as much of an issue personally, as those are systems that I like playing far more than trying to collect for.  If carts skyrocket, it won't break my heart so long as I've got an option to actually play what games are out there already.  And hey, if/when jailbreak firmware arrives, a flash cart probably won't even be necessary!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hassangba said:

I never got why people say $200 is expensive. You're getting a load of amazing consoles with amazing games, I personally wouldn't go with it cause just like the other guy I'm a sucker to have the OG hardware; even if the console has a noac

$200 is not a lot... FOR US.

For the casual person, who doesn’t care about perfect emulation and accurate sound, $200 is too much considering there are Chinese clones with all of the games preloaded for less than $50.

That said, there’s not enough of us who are willing to pay $200 for his thing to have an impact on the market price of game gear, neo geo pocket and Lynx cartridges 

I just picked up Pete Sampras for a rather "cheap" price, so now I don't care much about what happens to the Game Gear market.  I still need Mega Man (PM me if you got it!) and once that's covered, I'm not to worried about the rest.

I can't speak for other markets.  The big question mark for me will be is if they update the device further to play Hue Cards (which would be insane) I think that could spark interest in the TG16, but that increase would be a bit of a slow burn.  It'd happen, but not over night.

That is also contingent on them getting enough hardware out fast enough to people interested in the device.  If they only make 500-1000 of these units, I don't think it will bump up prices much at all.  But, if they break a few-10k, we could see some market shifts.

On 10/22/2019 at 6:16 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Handhelds are HOT right now. China has been pumping out nice hardware up grades for the GBA and GBC at a reasonable price now ips screens that easily Trump the AGS101 ship for around $40-50 for both the GBA and GBC. Even the neo geo pocket has a nice ips screen fs at around the same price. They're all plug and play installs too where you only have to solder if you want a brightness control. I think bc of these QOL accessories being some easy to get and install that most enthusiastists have the games they want to play or flash carts already. Analogue is just capitalizing on an already existing market for a reasonable price point and added accessabitity.

This is exactly how I feel, gba modding has been popular for the last few years and the price of carts hasn't really moved. I think that most people that would spend the money on the analogue would have enough to also get an everdrive.

Regardless the analogue gb just looks so sweeeeet!!

Edited by drxandy
Did the bad spell, ok?

38 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Did prices rise with the release of the other Analogue systems? I feel like their products are too niche and the supply too low to make much of an impact.

The Analogue SG increased the prices of Genesis stuff substantially. It brought a lot of people to the Genesis market. That beimg said, the Pocket library is not the Geneis lobrary and the Genesis had a very low entry level before the new interest arose.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Did prices rise with the release of the other Analogue systems? I feel like their products are too niche and the supply too low to make much of an impact.

It's a good question, but the thing is that with each new release of hardware, Analogue is making a bigger and bigger name for themselves.  Meaning, people pay more and more people pay attention due to the quality of their hardware.

If the Genesis market saw an impact, I'd assume the handheld markets could as well.