IGNORED

Conceding to Game Terminology

T-Pac

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Link said:

Shmup is ok with me. When I kept an extensive collection of PC share/free/abandonware I categorized "ship shooters" separately from run n gun shooters. I forget what I called the latter folder, but it was some other "[single word] shooter". 

Same reason people call isopropyl alcohol IPA 🙄  🤷‍♀️🫤? 

You don't just call it I?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Link said:

Same reason people call isopropyl alcohol IPA 🙄  🤷‍♀️🫤? 

Context is always king on that one, as "IPA" can also mean beer.  Usually it's obvious, but not always.

7 hours ago, Link said:

I call it "isopropyl alcohol" 

For whatever reason, I've always called it "rubbing alcohol," most likely picked up from my parents.  What's funny with that is I've literally never seen it used for that purpose except in a couple of movies.  If someone gives me a blank look, I'll specify it as isopropyl alcohol, but I don't know that the acronym IPA has ever left my lips in regard to non-beer alcohol.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

For whatever reason, I've always called it "rubbing alcohol," most likely picked up from my parents.  What's funny with that is I've literally never seen it used for that purpose except in a couple of movies. 

Rubbing alcohol is kind of an archaic term. It was used for massage about a hundred years ago, but it had some other stuff in it, and was closer to modern liniments. Now it's just mainly an antiseptic or solvent.

It can be either isopropyl or ethyl alcohol, and there's some difference between the two (ethyl would be consumable if not for added bitterants.) I see isopropyl more commonly in stores, but ethyl rubbing alcohol is around.

47 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Rubbing alcohol is kind of an archaic term. It was used for massage about a hundred years ago, but it had some other stuff in it, and was closer to modern liniments. Now it's just mainly an antiseptic or solvent.

It can be either isopropyl or ethyl alcohol, and there's some difference between the two (ethyl would be consumable if not for added bitterants.) I see isopropyl more commonly in stores, but ethyl rubbing alcohol is around.

Ha ha it’s funny that you mention that. When I was younger in the Philippines my mom hired a massage therapist to come over our house and give everyone a massage. The therapist was actually a semi-professional boxer doing massage as a side hustle. He was using rubbing alcohol on everyone. I asked if this is normal and he said yea it is. So still a thing over there. 

56 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

It might have become popular for that around a hundred years ago, but people here and there do still use it for that purpose, even if it's not the most common thing.  Some Googling says that it's apparently still in somewhat common use in sports medicine, both directly for massage as well as in combination with epsom salts.  And that's actually the context in which I saw it used the few times I saw it in movies.

7 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Ha ha it’s funny that you mention that. When I was younger in the Philippines my mom hired a massage therapist to come over our house and give everyone a massage. The therapist was actually a semi-professional boxer doing massage as a side hustle. He was using rubbing alcohol on everyone. I asked if this is normal and he said yea it is. So still a thing over there. 

Apparently it's good for easing the aches and pains of sports-related injuries as well as reducing inflammation, so it doesn't seem surprising that it's still in use.  Are any members masseuses or do they get massages regularly enough to be able to comment on whether this is still a thing in various places outside the Philippines?

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Context is always king on that one, as "IPA" can also mean beer.  Usually it's obvious, but not always.

For whatever reason, I've always called it "rubbing alcohol," most likely picked up from my parents.  What's funny with that is I've literally never seen it used for that purpose except in a couple of movies.  If someone gives me a blank look, I'll specify it as isopropyl alcohol, but I don't know that the acronym IPA has ever left my lips in regard to non-beer alcohol.

Yeah, I almost said something about India pale ale but I took it out. In reference to the cleaner or astringent it makes no sense to me. (Sorry Spacepup)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, phart010 said:

They might still have the liminent additives like methyl salicylate over there. Not entirely sure.

You can still use it for massaging and whatnot, and it works fine for it, but they've definitely changed the formula at least here in the US to make it more of an antiseptic.

50 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

They might still have the liminent additives like methyl salicylate over there. Not entirely sure.

You can still use it for massaging and whatnot, and it works fine for it, but they've definitely changed the formula at least here in the US to make it more of an antiseptic.

I just googled it, this looks like the bottle if I remember accurately. The website says it can be used for massage

5560793F-5A51-45D6-87CB-180F664F9972.thumb.png.624a1aa430a4fbbe36012e7a1ab0d7cd.png

Editorials Team · Posted

"Metroidvania" is always used ironically. Nobody in the world has ever said that word without thinking about how dumb it is.

Roguelike? That's where "Roguelite" came from. 🤮

Let's call FPS's "Doomlikes."

I also love "arcade" as a genre. It can be any kind of game at all, but if it's a classic arcade game, it's "arcade" genre.

• Like 3

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/20/2023 at 7:26 AM, JamesRobot said:

I just like to say Shmup.

YetOfXr.png

I almost mentioned in the opening post that I knew the classic @JamesRobot "shmup" meme would be here sooner or later!

On 1/20/2023 at 11:52 AM, spacepup said:

Before it derails too much, just remember what Casual was asking for here and hoping not to get too much in the weeds on debates about specific examples and such.  🙂

Thanks dude, but a part of me knew what I was getting into with a topic like this haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1