IGNORED

Conceding to Game Terminology

T-Pac

Events Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, Gloves said:

His statement is incorrect as he ignores that the actual title of the brand is PlayStation. It's a proper noun with two capitalized letters in the name, so both need to be accounted for. So by his logic it should be "PS". 

FYIGloves.

Social Team · Posted

MMOBA (Moe-ba) is another spoken acronym commonly used.

I'm curious to see if PSVR turn into PSVRX, PSVR1, or PSVROne.  Since the PSVR2 is about to be release in a month.  Maybe that can solve the PlayStation 1 debate once and for all.

Other terms I often hear is COD (cod, like the fish).  CODlike is kinda rare to hear though.

9 minutes ago, Gloves said:

No that'd be if it was actually just "'P".

Whirh of course it's not cuz that'd be ridiculous. 

Also I love how PlayStation gets the argument while GameCube sits in a corner hoping nobody notices it.

Well, that picture is of someone "pissing," and the content there could be either "piss" or "pee," so I would think that it would make P and PS interchangeable, since we're all just saying all the letters shoved together these days, like the cool kids.  🤣

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Cartoon Whatever GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

MMOBA (Moe-ba) is another spoken acronym commonly used.

I'm curious to see if PSVR turn into PSVRX, PSVR1, or PSVROne.  Since the PSVR2 is about to be release in a month.  Maybe that can solve the PlayStation 1 debate once and for all.

Other terms I often hear is COD (cod, like the fish).  CODlike is kinda rare to hear though.

I love saying cod blops. 

• Agree 1

C

12 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

If that's all it took to hook those two games up, why didn't the Mario games, etc., get thrown in to the batch?

I believe the additional criteria is backtracking exploration is required after upgrades or skills are obtained. It's not simply platforming. 

3 hours ago, RH said:

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

"minty."

I hate that word so much, I forgot about it for this discussion until you brought it up!

I assume it's a term willfully used by a younger generation.  I also have no clue why it bothers me so much.  "These games are minty fresh!" shouldn't be so obnoxious but... it is.  It just is.

I think it's when something is not mint condition, but the person wants to say mint because it makes their thing sound like it's in perfect condition and that makes them cool. Those people can go to hell. 

4C6EAE04-0E7B-4A2E-B741-4AEA33995E84.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Link said:

I believe the additional criteria is backtracking exploration is required after upgrades or skills are obtained. It's not simply platforming.

I get that, but at the time the term came to be, Symphony of the Night was really the only game where you were doing that, IIRC.  I've not kept up with Castlevania games, so they may well have produced enough games in the series to where there are more that fit that formula than the original one, but I'll always cringe at the term since it was so far off base when it was coined.

12 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I love saying cod blops. 

Another fine example of a messy pet cleanup term, lol!  Perhaps I'll start taking these terms more seriously when they stop sounding like things that would get called out over the PA at PetSmart.  🤣

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Haha 2

At times I have to concede to using the term "gameplay", even though it's the most simplistic and least descriptive term in the business. Every single aspect of game design contributes to the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment that's watered down into one non-word. Sometimes it is just the easiest way to string a sentence together though.

This is a brilliant thread. I'm sure I can come up with more, so I'll think about it.

• Like 2

Here's another sillier one, but between the Game Boy Color, Sonic Colors, and Paper Mario Color Splash, I have to concede and spell colour as color more often than I'd like in order to be accurate. It's technically not gaming terminology, but it is something I had to give in to for the sake of games.

The reverse is sometimes true too though, where I eventually give up on the fan terminology and start saying things properly. Over time I learned to stop saying "Wii-mote" and call it a "Wii Remote".

Edited by PekoponTAS