IGNORED

Conceding to Game Terminology

T-Pac

9 minutes ago, Sumez said:
3 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

If shoot-em-up is acceptable as "shmup," doesn't that mean that the same people who espouse and champion that change have a responsibility to also start using the term "bmup" for beat-em-ups?  🤔

People do write bmup though? 🙂

Let's destroy the whole genre and start calling games about beatin' up rival punks, mbops.  😜

• Haha 3

Since I guess this is the thread for that now, the term "side scroller" annoys me. I've never seen it used until very recently but I think technically it dates back a lot further. 

It's such a dumb non-term because a game that scrolls sideways could be literally any type of game, and I've seen people using it about games that scroll in all directions or games that don't even scroll at all.

In general there doesn't seem to be a common consensus about what it's supposed to mean anyway. The most common trait seems to be that the game is a platformer, but even that isn't a given. So why do people say it at all? It gives me zero indications about what a game is like 😅

1 minute ago, Sumez said:

Since I guess this is the thread for that now, the term "side scroller" annoys me. I've never seen it used until very recently but I think technically it dates back a lot further. 

It's such a dumb non-term because a game that scrolls sideways could be literally any type of game, and I've seen people using it about games that scroll in all directions or games that don't even scroll at all.

In general there doesn't seem to be a common consensus about what it's supposed to mean anyway. The most common trait seems to be that the game is a platformer, but even that isn't a given. So why do people say it at all? It gives me zero indications about what a game is like 😅

Differentiates it from top down and 3/4 view not defined genre.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Tulpa said:

BREAKING - A member of a video game forum has been taken into custody after murdering several other members of that same forum. The forum member, who goes by the screen name Tulpa, reportedly told police that "They just wouldn't stop saying shmup! It's shoot-em-up, dammit!" Police are still trying to ascertain how many NES controllers the perpetrator used to strangle his victims...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I had no idea what a shmup was before now, why does this exist

Because a lot of people apparently flunked kindergarten.

10 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

and how do you pronounce it?

Well, first, punch yourself in the face a couple of times, then come to the realization it's pronounced shoot-em-up. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Because a lot of people apparently flunked kindergarten.

Well, first, punch yourself in the face a couple of times, then come to the realization it's pronounced shoot-em-up. 😛

Pretty much how I feel about it. What are the qualifications for a game to be in this category?

5 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Pretty much how I feel about it. What are the qualifications for a game to be in this category?

Shoot-em-ups? I say standard sprite that shoots enemies that isn't a platformer, run-n-gun, or other obvious genre. Galaga, Gradius, etc. There's some debate here and there, but I think most agree on that.

Shmups? A healthy snort of superglue.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

It's another way of saying "LOL".

I always understood it to have started when somebody was writing "heh" but misplaced their fingers when typing.  Reading deeper on it, it apparently did begin this way, but it was a translation of "heheh" from Korean which came out as "kekek" and just snowballed from there.  Apparently when WoW got built, opposite factions would see "kek" in chat instead of "lol" when typed by the other side.  Supposedly Blizzard's programmers included it as an inside reference/joke pointing back to Starcraft where it had originated.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

People do write bmup though? 🙂

Do they?  I've never seen it, but as silly as some of this stuff is, and as disappointed as I am in society in general, I'm ready to believe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RH said:

Also, the "PS1" is what the mini PlayStation is referred to as because it was branded as the "PlayStation One".  Before 2016 and hanging around retro gamers, if someone told me they had a "PS1" I would have assumed the mini device.

If you want to get real technical, they actually dropped the full name “PlayStation” and just called it PSone. Also they used a ridiculous font. To me PS1=PSone and PSX=PlayStation.

If we lived in Japan, then maybe I’d make a bigger deal out of that rare system that nobody ever seen in real life

0293E2E9-4D51-4D0F-A9C4-97F901551766.thumb.jpeg.a383e26b89739f95fed37e29337a7dd4.jpeg

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

People who says SNES out loud make me uncomfortable. It's the" Super Nintendo" or the "Super NES". 

Shmup sucks. I read the letters SHMUP as shoot em up. Idk it's kinda like saying TTYL instead of saying "talk to you later." Idk the whole saying acronyms outloud is strange. 

I never liked it when people say "Snez" all as one word, so I've always said each letter separately like I would for the NES. I usually say S.N.E.S or Super Nintendo.

I agree that shmup is an annoying term. It's not that much harder to say or type shoot 'em up, and it just sounds and looks better.  Whenever I see shmup I think of that Strong Bad joke where he says "people always have to abreeve everything."

Edited by PekoponTAS
  • Like 2

Shmup is ok with me. When I kept an extensive collection of PC share/free/abandonware I categorized "ship shooters" separately from run n gun shooters. I forget what I called the latter folder, but it was some other "[single word] shooter". 

5 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Also, why is downloadable content not abbreviated as DC? Why is the L in there at all?

Same reason people call isopropyl alcohol IPA 🙄  🤷‍♀️🫤?