IGNORED

VGS Pumpkin Carving Contest 2022 [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

Pumpkin Carving Contest 2022 Voting  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who's pumpkin carving is your personal favorite? (1st Place Tiebreaker)

2. 2. Who's pumpkin carving is your personal favorite? (3rd Place Tiebreaker)

3. 3. Should I allow other types of decorated pumpkins, besides just carvings, to count for future pumpkin carving contests? (IE painted pumpkins)

This poll is closed to new votes

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Krunch said:

That was my best guess as well

I'll give it some time and see if anyone else has trouble voting, if so I can mess around with the polls and try to get it working if that is the case. Worst case scenario in the meantime you guys can always just say in a post on the thread who you'd vote for, haha.

3 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I'll give it some time and see if anyone else has trouble voting, if so I can mess around with the polls and try to get it working if that is the case. Worst case scenario in the meantime you guys can always just say in a post on the thread who you'd vote for, haha.

Poll isn't working

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Poll isn't working

Alright, try it now @Mega Tank @Krunch Any luck? It SHOULD be working now, I completely deleted the poll, then re-did it, so hopefully that'll allow you guys to re-vote, since I assume the issue was that it wasn't letting you vote since you guys voted in the original poll. I also went ahead and extended the voting deadline to 6 AM since there's been some technical difficulties, haha. If it is working, go ahead and also re-vote @NESfiend while you're at it.

If not still the only other thing I can think of is posting the poll in a different thread altogether which would be a huge pain.

44 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Alright, try it now @Mega Tank @Krunch Any luck? It SHOULD be working now, I completely deleted the poll, then re-did it, so hopefully that'll allow you guys to re-vote, since I assume the issue was that it wasn't letting you vote since you guys voted in the original poll. I also went ahead and extended the voting deadline to 6 AM since there's been some technical difficulties, haha. If it is working, go ahead and also re-vote @NESfiend while you're at it.

If not still the only other thing I can think of is posting the poll in a different thread altogether which would be a huge pain.

It worked, thanks.

I voted Yay on the poll, but would painted be just straight painting and no carving?

I voted no for the exception in future pumpkin carving contests simply because of what they are.  Where I used to work, they would have the exact opposite type of contests each Halloween, pumpkin decorating contests, where painted pumpkins (as well as ones that had been dressed up with clothes, had stuff glued to them, etc.) were welcome, but any that had actually been cut on were explicitly banned.

I don't dislike the idea of painted and/or otherwise decorated pumpkins, but for the purposes of a carving contest, I think it should it remain just that.  Maybe have two contests if other types of decoration were to be allowed?  I say separate contests due to the two technique being a bit like apples and oranges, to me at least.

7 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I voted no for the exception in future pumpkin carving contests simply because of what they are.  Where I used to work, they would have the exact opposite type of contests each Halloween, pumpkin decorating contests, where painted pumpkins (as well as ones that had been dressed up with clothes, had stuff glued to them, etc.) were welcome, but any that had actually been cut on were explicitly banned.

I don't dislike the idea of painted and/or otherwise decorated pumpkins, but for the purposes of a carving contest, I think it should it remain just that.  Maybe have two contests if other types of decoration were to be allowed?  I say separate contests due to the two technique being a bit like apples and oranges, to me at least.

I voted yay, but different "Categories" would be nice to not blend them. Carving + Painting is a nice mix when done correctly. Straight painting vs straight carving, meh.

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Maybe have two contests if other types of decoration were to be allowed?  I say separate contests due to the two technique being a bit like apples and oranges, to me at least.

2 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

I voted yay, but different "Categories" would be nice to not blend them.

Well where that gets complicated is if we were to do that, then we'd have to have two different sets of first, second and third place prizes. That's why I'm asking, just in general for future contests like this, if more general decorations should be allowed to count for the contest beyond specifically carvings. Figured the best way to figure out everyone's opinion on that would be to just ask.

Events Team · Posted
Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

Well where that gets complicated is if we were to do that, then we'd have to have two different sets of first, second and third place prizes. That's why I'm asking, just in general for future contests like this, if more general decorations should be allowed to count for the contest beyond specifically carvings. Figured the best way to figure out everyone's opinion on that would be to just ask.

And again just to be clear, as I've said, people are of course always free to share any types of pumpkin-related art they make, carving or no carving in these threads every year, it's just a question or what should or should not count for the actual contest itself.

33 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

And again just to be clear, as I've said, people are of course always free to share any types of pumpkin-related art they make, carving or no carving in these threads every year, it's just a question or what should or should not count for the actual contest itself.

If you don't believe there'd be enough entrants to merit having two separate contests, a simple solution would be to have a pumpkin decoration contest, and just make sure to state that both painting and carving are acceptable practices.  If it remains labeled a carving contest, I still have to draw the line, as painting, however wonderfully done, is still not carving.

As for sharing pumpkin (and season) related art, yeah, that's always wonderful to see.  However, in order to avoid any sort of "confusion" and unpleasantness as there was this year, perhaps next time make a separate, "official" thread specifically for non-contestants and/or non-entry pieces to be shared in?  That way folks who make more than one bit of art won't be forced to constantly re-state what is or isn't their single entry and anyone who doesn't want to participate would still be able to share their creations with the community while not being considered part of the ongoing contest.

Events Team · Posted

It won't let me vote without voting for all 3.  So my vote goes to @Makar.  It was honestly a tough call.  Mandy's is the quintessential jack-o'-lantern and it has a fantastic orange quality when it's lit up. But I felt there was a little more skill to Makar's candy skull pumpkin.

As for decorated or painted pumpkins, I vote nay.  They're fine and all, but jack-o'-lanterns are specific to the holiday.  

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, JamesRobot said:

It won't let me vote without voting for all 3.

AAAAAAAGH I'VE ALREADY HAD A DIFFICULT ENOUGH DAY WHY ARE THE POLLS BEING STUPID

Whatever, votes noted, haha. I guess bag, Mandy and Makar, if you guys end up voting just do it the way JR did here and I'll count it, I'll add your votes to the final tally.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

It won't let me vote without voting for all 3.  So my vote goes to @Makar.  It was honestly a tough call.  Mandy's is the quintessential jack-o'-lantern and it has a fantastic orange quality when it's lit up. But I felt there was a little more skill to Makar's candy skull pumpkin.

As for decorated or painted pumpkins, I vote nay.  They're fine and all, but jack-o'-lanterns are specific to the holiday.  

Jack O Lanterns are meant to be lit at night!

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted

AAAalright everyone! Sorry for not getting to this until just now, last few days have been hectic, and frankly I was pretty exhausted after yesterday in particular, haha. But regardless, I'm here now!

So, @bag has a fairly comfortable lead at 1ST PLACE, meaning @JamesRobot, you have won 2ND PLACE! It was pretty close between @Makar and @SailorScoutMandy, but counting @NESfiend's votes from before I fixed the poll:

c5f1d2bca2e446c08530131f54a0d4fc.png

As well as both JR and bag's votes that they posted in the thread itself:

c83fd0dc53779439f2a064648b623eb6.png

a22424b9f03be99391c3505776ceb51c.png

Makar just barely manages a 3RD PLACE WIN! I must admit I'm glad it wasn't another tie, I would've been slightly displeased with you all if that had happened, hahaha.

So, congratulations to @bag, @JamesRobot and @Makar, you all will be PMed very shortly!

But thank ALL of you for participating in this, seriously.

@bag@darkchylde28@drxandy@JamesRobot@jonebone@Kguillemette@Krunch@LutherDestroysTheGond@Makar@Mega Tank@NESfiend@RegularGuyGamer@Renmauzo@SailorScoutMandy

I've been wanting to try some new stuff out for events for awhile now, spice things up a bit, this being the first truly brand new event idea I had, and I'm really really happy to see that it was a resounding success, I always get super nervous when first starting up these events. I can't wait to see you all next year, I hope you'll all be back, seriously!

I will say that, in regards to whether or not I should allow other things besides carvings to count for these contests, I'm actually a bit surprised by the reception to that question, I really figured it'd be a lot more split. But, either way, you all have spoken, and for the foreseeable future, only actual carvings will count for these contests, however as always, please do share anything pumpkin-related you all make regardless, because as far as I can see, you're all super talented and it would be a shame to miss out on anything you all make!

So, with all that said, the 2022 VGS Pumpkin Carving Contest is (finally, haha) over! Sincerely hope you all had fun with it, always remember that that is the end goal here! 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to VGS Pumpkin Carving Contest 2022 [ENDED]
  • This topic was unpinned and unfeatured
Administrator · Posted

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took the time to participate and share your creations!  It's always fun seeing what people come up with, and some of these are really great!

I was hoping to do one myself but ran out of time, eek!  Maybe next year!

Thanks again and, until next Halloween!!

• Like 1