IGNORED

VGS Pumpkin Carving Contest 2022 [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

Pumpkin Carving Contest 2022 Voting  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who's pumpkin carving is your personal favorite? (1st Place Tiebreaker)

2. 2. Who's pumpkin carving is your personal favorite? (3rd Place Tiebreaker)

3. 3. Should I allow other types of decorated pumpkins, besides just carvings, to count for future pumpkin carving contests? (IE painted pumpkins)

This poll is closed to new votes

Events Team · Posted

Alright, four entries already, keep 'em coming! And again, just as a reminder, if anyone who's already submitted a carving wants to submit a different carving later, feel free to do so by all means, it'll just replace your previous submission in the poll later on 🙂

Also, I did want to say real quick, since there's been some behind-the-scenes talk about possibly allowing stuff other than JUST pumpkin carvings in the future, (painted pumpkin, for instance) that if anyone wants to submit any pumpkin-related creations that aren't explicitly carvings, feel free to do so. Obviously they won't count towards the actual contest, but I still would like to see any creations you guys come up with, and I'd be perfectly happy to have these events act as sort of hubs for people to show off their creations, carving or not. So yeah, even if it isn't a carving, feel free to show off any creations you guys come up with all the same!

On 10/25/2022 at 10:55 PM, darkchylde28 said:

Not that I plan to do so, but would it still count if an artificial pumpkin was used for the carving?  All the various craft stores around me carry these hard foam pumpkins that look relatively real and are meant for both decoration as-is as well as carving.  Figured I'd throw this out there in case there was anyone who was interested in participating but not thrilled with the potential mess that a real pumpkin creates and/or would want to hang onto their creation a little more permanently.

I passed by the dollar store for some last minute Halloween purchases and saw the foam pumpkins. I wonder if they are any good.

7 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

I passed by the dollar store for some last minute Halloween purchases and saw the foam pumpkins. I wonder if they are any good.

I think it depends on how hard the foam is.  If it's a softer foam, something more akin to Nerf or foam fingers seen at sporting events, I'd say you're gonna have a bad time.  However, if it's solid, but with a tiny bit of flex like the ones that places like Michaels offers (or like that expanding spray foam stuff is after it sets), I'd say that it would do a decent job, so long as the inside/color of the foam isn't too different from the actual inside color of a pumpkin.  A little paint can always fix that if it proves to be an issue.

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
27 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

However, if it's solid, but with a tiny bit of flex like the ones that places like Michaels offers (or like that expanding spray foam stuff is after it sets), I'd say that it would do a decent job, so long as the inside/color of the foam isn't too different from the actual inside color of a pumpkin.

That's probably a lot to ask for a dollar store pumpkin though, haha. I know that really good quality foam pumpkins can cost quite a bit compared to actual pumpkins.

30 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Nope.  Just the cheap carving kits.  My favorite tool is the tiny saw.  I'm tempted to use my Dremel but I'm afraid of the potential mess.

B0UsOaH.jpg

Interesting. I don't like the tiny knife. It's always too finicky and frail to make the cuts lol. I use the big knife. I haven't ever really needed to do tiny details. I use the $10 "premium" carving kit at Target. I tend to lose it or lend them out and they never get back to me.

This was my first time trying to carve a picture into a pumpkin and I think it turned out pretty well! All I had available to use in the way of 'carving tools' was a steak knife and a pair of chopsticks.

Unfortunately, the front of the pumpkin here with the smoothest surface had/has a blemish on it that makes it look burnt in the dark.

I was trying to think of something to do for the Yokoi Kids game of the month, Bubble Ghost, and then it came to me: carve a Bubble Ghost pumpkin!

UG5BCK5oRfeQ0R3Ovd6MZQ.jpg

• Like 10

Love seeing pumpkin carvings!

I had to carve it Wednesday night since I work graveyards through Halloween. I didn't gut it until today though, as we all know how fast they rot. Was interesting not being able to check my work as I went. Probably could do more detail, but after 6 hrs I was done. Still happy how it came out. Tough to take a picture as the image kind of wraps around the pumpkin.

PXL_20221031_032835339.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow! 7
  • Love 2

Events Team · Posted
41 minutes ago, Krunch said:

150561C1-B66C-4C9F-BC46-31853346E4D0.jpeg.328e3638ccaba0d764573a36bc737a88.jpeg

Respect my authorita!!  

Lol I found a huge pumpkin that was perfect for Cartman, this is copied by hand since I couldn't print a stencil large enough.  I might update or add more pics later once it's dark outside but yeah that's one more submission!!

That brings us up to 12 entries by my count! Still plenty of time left for new submissions though, keep 'em coming!