IGNORED

What games do you enjoy, but just can't seem to get good at?

Bearcat-Doug

24 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It would be cool to see the old NA stats and Hall of Fame carried over by @Gloves or @guillavoie to motivate future contest participation. I've been playing since 2012 and as a Hall of Famer, I'd like to pass the torch eventually to a new group of players.

I ran across an old NA thread not too long ago that had a bunch of HoF stats in it.  Might be easier than one would think to dig that stuff up and put something together...

Editorials Team · Posted
27 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't think it's that tough, it's just getting somebody to do it.

Uh, where do I even start...

You will have to dig out EVERY finish by EVERY player in EVERY thread.  There's no easy way to scrape that.  Manual inputs into a spreadsheet.  Thousands of them.

Some people decided to change their usernames at some point.

The first contest runner would "reuse" his own threads, meaning you had to deduce what had actually happened.

Good luck trying to rely on the webarchive snapshots.

I've always liked fighting games, but I've never been good at them.  Outside of Tekken 3, I've never been able to complete a single player campaign of any fighting game without using cheats.  

Same thing can be said for most beat'em ups and shooters, but I'm at least I'm slightly more competent in those genres.  However, I still usually need cheats if I want to complete those games.

32 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Good luck trying to rely on the webarchive snapshots.

The archive.nes.science seems to be a lot more navigable. I've been trying to figure out who made it; regardless, big kudos to them. But yeah, still need somebody with the inclination and time to tackle the task. 

34 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Some people decided to change their usernames at some point.

What! Who would ever do that??

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

...or at least you would if I hadn't already done it.  But I don't know where my data ends.  Did I do 2019?

Your old stuff is still up, but there's not anything for 2019.

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview0d82.html?catid=31&threadid=168510

Events Team · Posted
On 10/24/2022 at 4:08 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Oh, right.  Inductees were added to the committee.  It's all coming back to me...

Way to out me Doug!

What happened to all of this @guillavoie ! 😂

I'm certainly not against it per say, but let's say that the decline of participation in the contest over the last years make it harder to justify a revival of the HoF. Whenever a big boost in participation occur would be a good timing to 'think' about bringing it back.

On 10/24/2022 at 4:06 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

I didn't think my involvement with the HoF was ever made public... someone talked.

It's funny to think of it now given how much work you actually did to make this happens. The whole stats grinding was definitely the bulk of the work to do, and probably the most interesting part of the whole thing. If someone want to step up and update newer stats with the older you already compiled, this would be a good start to revive any of this.

Maybe Doug could do it? (@Bearcat-Doug)

Events Team · Posted

Fighting games, especially against people who are really, really good at them. That whole genre is definitely my Achilles heel, even though I do usually enjoy them. I'll also say that, in general, I'm substantially better fighting against AI than I am real people. AI always has some kind of pattern you can eventually pick up on and take advantage of, no matter how seemingly complex it is, but people can be completely unpredictable and usually can also be far more skillful at the game in question than AI, haha. This applies to fighting games too, in Smash Bros Ultimate, I'm generally very very good at Classic Mode, even with characters I'm playing as for the very first time and am learning as I'm playing. But fighting against an even slightly competent human player, even with a character I'm super familiar with? I'm probably not gonna last long, haha.

9 hours ago, guillavoie said:

I'm certainly not against it per say, but let's say that the decline of participation in the contest over the last years make it harder to justify a revival of the HoF. Whenever a big boost in participation occur would be a good timing to 'think' about bringing it back.

It's funny to think of it now given how much work you actually did to make this happens. The whole stats grinding was definitely the bulk of the work to do, and probably the most interesting part of the whole thing. If someone want to step up and update newer stats with the older you already compiled, this would be a good start to revive any of this.

I don't think I have the technical know-how and I don't own a computer so it would be kind of tough for me to do, but it would be cool to see it come back. I don't know if you have the data for 2019, but if so, it appears from the old thread that everything has been tallied up through 2018. That is a good point about the Hall of Fame. I think we have a few deserving players that belong in there, but it wouldn't serve much of a purpose going forward if the participation doesn't pick up.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:59 AM, guillavoie said:

You made a thread about keeping this up to date. It seemed @ninjistar showed some interest.

Adventure Island on NES. I made a serious attempt to beat the game some years back, and couldn't make it past world 7 even with the Hudson Bee. I had the game as a little kid and have always loved the visuals and music, but I've never been able to finish it. I enjoy playing up to world 5, and then turning it off.

The Fire Emblem-Advance Wars-Ogre Battle-Final Fantasy Tactics types of game.

I like and hate them.  Like what they're intended to do, the concept of how the mechanics should work, and the stories that go on around those maps that move the fight forward.  But I for once can not understand and grasp the utter lack of clear logic or concept the designers throw together on these, not early on, but maybe half way into the game.  You get to a point where it's clearly rigged AI coupled with a nearly specific set of moves needed per stage, or it's the death of a thousand cuts type of loss.  I hate that with a passion.  it seems to mindless and counter intuitive stifling fun, for what...selling $20-40 game guides?  Or is it about making your money go longer by having to memorize every step of a 20+ turn map on what unit(s) to move on specific turns or fail?  That's not fun, that's grating, a chore, a job.  I want to love those franchises and games, but without a printed guide, I can't.

• 3 months later...

Shmups, some puzzle games, some arcade games.

With the latter two genres, I think it has to do with me getting bored after ten minutes and then quitting. Take DK for example, I can enjoy it, but I much prefer the GB 94 remake with all the crazy levels and stuff.

Shmups I think I could get decent at, there's just an initial hurdle to overcome.