IGNORED

Game Debate #123: Parappa the Rapper

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

I played the demo on a disc.  Thought it was just ok, but was never compelled to own it.  I picked up Um Jammer Lammy for cheap and I'm not much of a fan but it's on my shelf.  I don't think it's bad but it's not my thing so I gave it a 4/10.

I chose Majora's Mask.  We need a blood bath and ranking that one over OOT is likely to provide that.

Pretty hard to realistically rate this game.

It's such a massive classic in terms of the style, characters and the iconic songs. Who the hell doesn't recognize "kick, punch, it's all in the mind!". It's catchy, funny and memorable, and still works today.

But as anyone who has played the game would probably agree with - as a game, it's just barely functional, and there's usually no logic behind when you succeed or when you fail. Going into overdrive mode is easier by just spamming the buttons way outside of the stuff you're supposed to be rapping, and doesn't require any sort of rhythm or flow.

Honestly, a remake featuring the same songs but when completely revamped gameplay to actually work as a coherent rhythm game would just be money ripe for the taking. Hell, combine the original game and the sequel (or even Um Jammer Lammy) if that doesn't seem beefy enough.

5/10 is as far as I can stretch it, and that's entirely because of how much I love the songs and the humor.

• Agree 3

Editorials Team · Posted
40 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Never played it and probably never will. Just posting to say two things:

1) I have just discovered this game isn’t called papatherappa like I have been reading it all these years.

2) no matter which Zelda game wins it’s going to be a shit storm in the comments section.

lmao

"Wait, it's not Nobunga's Ambition?"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Pretty hard to realistically rate this game.

It's such a massive classic in terms of the style, characters and the iconic songs. Who the hell doesn't recognize "kick, punch, it's all in the mind!". It's catchy, funny and memorable, and still works today.

But as anyone who has played the game would probably agree with - as a game, it's just barely functional, and there's usually no logic behind when you succeed or when you fail. Going into overdrive mode is easier by just spamming the buttons way outside of the stuff you're supposed to be rapping, and doesn't require any sort of rhythm or flow.

Honestly, a remake featuring the same songs but when completely revamped gameplay to actually work as a coherent rhythm game would just be money ripe for the taking. Hell, combine the original game and the sequel (or even Um Jammer Lammy) if that doesn't seem beefy enough.

5/10 is as far as I can stretch it, and that's entirely because of how much I love the songs and the humor.

This - All of it

I have TRIED to play this game, but it just doesn't work.  It really does pull you in with the characters and music but then massively disappoints with the gameplay. 3/10 from me

Edited by wongojack
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted

Never cared about it.

Now Zelda is another story.  I played Ocarina in tha day but didn't play Majora's Mask until it released on 3DS.  I waffle on my stance on Ocarina but my opinion is generally positive.  Majora's Mask is virtually unplayable though.  I just can't get my head around the timed levels.

Tons of charm with it's cute cutout characters and uber catchy songs.  I think I enjoyed umjammer lamby a little more, since it had guitar effects, parappa remix mode, and multiplayer.  Both are recommended if you like quirky games.

Edited by fox

Rhythm games are a cool genre, but my memory of this one is that is was punishingly hard. The music is dorky but god damn are some of those raps earworms... I only played this game a few times at my friends house 25 years ago, but I still remember "Kick - Punch - it's all in the mind!" or "Ribbit Ribbit I can't Hold it" like it was yesterday.

10 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Never cared about it.

Now Zelda is another story.  I played Ocarina in tha day but didn't play Majora's Mask until it released on 3DS.  I waffle on my stance on Ocarina but my opinion is generally positive.  Majora's Mask is virtually unplayable though.  I just can't get my head around the timed levels.

Ocarina is awesome. I've never even played Majora's Mask. The whole timed element kinda threw me off as well since the Zelda games are based around exploring.

5/10, awesome style, terrible game. I play a lot of rhythm games including ones with really tight timing. The timing in Parappa is so tight and makes no sense. It will have one button press for a two syllable word like "gotta" and it's entirely unclear what the perfect timing is. Parappa's fat imprecise head passes almost entirely over the note before the proper timing too, so you can't even do it visually. 

• Like 1

I rate the imaginary category of "Always been curious, but likely won't play."

It's always seemed like one of those games that has a hardcore cult following, but isn't actually very special. That kind of game is usually restricted to the weirder Sega consoles with games like Kolibri, Popful Mail, NiGHTS into Dreams, and Samba De Amigo. The kind of games that fans of the system say are fantastic, but aren't interesting to anybody else.

Parappa's fan base is so vocal that people always assume it's a classic, but it's never looked very good to me. I've been burned by these cult classic type of games too many times to fall for it anymore, so I'd never go out of my way to play it at this point.