IGNORED

That's it. I now officially hate Elon Musk.

OptOut

4 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

He's right that's there's going to eventually be armed conflict over Taiwan. He's just stating the obvious.

Elon has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. The Chinese have zero right to assert control over the people and government of Taiwan, and any attempt to resolve this diplomatic situation by force would be utterly ruinous for China's economy and society.

Russia fucked around in Ukraine, now they're finding out. That'll go ten times over if China try anything in Taiwan, and they are not NEARLY dumb enough to try it.

Elon is full of shit, it doesn't matter what he talks about, he's got the whackest takes on the planet. Fuck him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I don't hate him, not at all, but OH HELL NO to that.

Taiwan falls the amount of global damage would be epic to the point even now the european nations are committed to fighting to protect them from their wannabe chinese overlords too.

Odds are Elon is getting crap from the CCP and trying to protect his assets as he's seriously not that stupid.

Taiwan handles most of the global computer chip supply for production.  If China got their hands on that they could blackmail every major and minor power in the world to do what they want or get cut off.  The amount of money they'd rake in no one could ever control or sanction them again from doing their devious sneaky shit.  And not to mention the horrors of CCP spyware within various apps they make and phones (huawei) they currently make.  Imagine a world where any computer in a home or government office could send info subtly back home or allow easy hackable access to whatever the hell they want to steal to make copies of, or if they wanted to ghost a few trillion from some economy to tank a nation they hate.

F - NO.

I'm not for war, but I am for utter and complete decimation of the Chinese government and military whatever the cost, because of what they'd do to the world on the whole is a true nightmare situation.

• Like 1

Comparing him to Donald Trump isn’t a bad comparison but they both have very different personalities and perspectives.

I don’t hate Musk, but I don’t like him either.  I think when he throws comments out like that he’s trying to instigate discussion by throwing out something controversial.  In a sense, it’s thriving on playing “Devil’s advocate” and by playing the bad guy, it gets people to think about better solutions and promotes awareness.

No one in their right mind would think that something like annexing part of Taiwan would solve the issues between the two nations.  However, posing such a dumb idea might have gotten a lot of people to pay attention to the problem.  Am I right in my assumption of why Musk made those comments? Maybe. Maybe not.  He’s a hard read, he is smart and he’s unconventional.

Regardless, I just see him as an oddity of pop culture and mostly ignore him and avoid any stock or investment he gets involved in.

Do you guys wanna know a fun fact? Historically, the mainland dynasties viewed Taiwan as a haven for pirates and they wanted nothing to do with it, iirc that's even part of the reason they gave it to Taiwan, as they didn't view it as a huge loss. 

Funny how now they want it so bad, such assholes ignorant in history.

• Agree 2

Both of these characters remind me of professional wrestlers.  The character is good/bad for a given narrative.  One narrative comes to an end, another is begun and the character instantly becomes bad/good to fit.  No one drowning in wealth has your best interests at heart.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, RH said:

Comparing him to Donald Trump isn’t a bad comparison but they both have very different personalities and perspectives.

I don’t hate Musk, but I don’t like him either.  I think when he throws comments out like that he’s trying to instigate discussion by throwing out something controversial.  In a sense, it’s thriving on playing “Devil’s advocate” and by playing the bad guy, it gets people to think about better solutions and promotes awareness.

No one in their right mind would think that something like annexing part of Taiwan would solve the issues between the two nations.  However, posing such a dumb idea might have gotten a lot of people to pay attention to the problem.  Am I right in my assumption of why Musk made those comments? Maybe. Maybe not.  He’s a hard read, he is smart and he’s unconventional.

Regardless, I just see him as an oddity of pop culture and mostly ignore him and avoid any stock or investment he gets involved in.

That's my thoughts.  He has one Trump quirk other than being rich and able to throw it around, he's a twitter troll.  Personality and perspective, nothing alike.  I don't hate Musk, don't love the guy either, but I do like what he has been doing with space technologies, it's a boon for all.  What he's doing there is borderline twitter troll, but also making a conversation starter because at the root of it, he's right in a way.  He's right that there will be negotiation at some rate, but I honestly do not believe at all he wants an economic zone controller like HK by China there.

The thing is the chinese a little have him by the balls given where Teslas are produced, 1/2 are there in the Shanghai province area, given he told them to piss off on other stuff, it almost seems like some public double talking pacification to throw smoke.  He's not stupid, anything but, and he has to realize the amount of chip tech out there, if it fell to China, would fuck him over to an amount into the 10s of billions easily, and not just him the the radically higher sums of money combined with other industries that need those chips out of Taiwan.  Couple that with my first post of the potential for hacker back doors, hardware level spyware, the ability to infiltrate and fuck anyone in the proverbial ass that don't give the bullies what they want and it's lights out.  That shit alone would start a world war because everyone else would realize a world basically being puppet controlled by Beijing is an utter nightmare.

As you said, he's clearly doing this to start a conversation, as he usually does, just like when he caught shit for getting stoned with Rogan and other stuff, it's all calculated at some insane level to benefit him and many others.  He pulls this crap often, just like the perpetual middle fingering of Putin that pussy with his free starlink for ukraine so them and russians too know what shit he's pulling without being able to censor it.  Did you know he bootlicked China into agreeing NOT to put starlink over their lands?  Not to say he wouldn't in time, but for now it's a solution to other problems I'm sure he had to get them to back off.  To Musk this is nothing but a chess game.

Edited by Tanooki

On 10/8/2022 at 3:49 PM, PII said:

Both of these characters remind me of professional wrestlers.  The character is good/bad for a given narrative.  One narrative comes to an end, another is begun and the character instantly becomes bad/good to fit.  No one drowning in wealth has your best interests at heart.  

I think he even got tired of shilling dogecoin for attention.

MHIS6RNLSJGXRPVQT4RAT53RTM.png

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think he even got tired of shilling dogecoin.

Didn't even know about this...

From Wikipedia:

software engineers Billy Markus and Jackson Palmer, who decided to create a payment system as a "joke", making fun of the wild speculation in cryptocurrencies at the time

Musk's first Dogecoin-related tweet occurred on December 20, 2020. Musk tweeted 'One Word: Doge'. Shortly after, the value of Dogecoin rose by 20%.

Could there be a better example of people wanting to be told what to do by someone who does not have their best interests at heart?

Probably.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:20 AM, Brickman said:

Musk is a tool, I lost all respect for him when he insulted the cave divers trying to save those Thai kids. 

I don’t doubt his Engineering intelligence but a lot of his posts are just made to incite rage and I think he gets off on that. Very similar to Donald Trump.

You guys give him the power. Everyone has opinions on stuff, we all probably disagree with each other on some things. It just so happens that every single word that comes out of this man’s mouth becomes a headline

On 10/8/2022 at 10:41 AM, Tanooki said:

Taiwan handles most of the global computer chip supply for production.  If China got their hands on that they could blackmail every major and minor power in the world to do what they want or get cut off. 

They won't get it. Taiwan will blow up all the factories upon any invasion bc they know the ccp just uses the one China talk to try to steal their tech and influence.  

That's why China hasn't invaded yet either. The threat of destroying their own factories is actually enough since it's something ridiculous like 90% of the world's semiconductors. 

• Like 1

I’ve never seen a dude so concerned with what randos on the internet think of them like Elon Musk is.

But the others here are right. He’s a billionaire, that’s strike one. But he’s also standing on the shoulders of the people who have actually done great things and taking the credit. If you’ve ever actually listened to his ideas or his opinions on complex subjects you’ll know the dude is really, really dumb and uninformed, but has made it a point to try and put on an intellectual facade. Probably because of the aforementioned insecurities he has.

Edited by Strange

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

You guys give him the power. Everyone has opinions on stuff, we all probably disagree with each other on some things. It just so happens that every single word that comes out of this man’s mouth becomes a headline

Yep agreed, this is my approach too. I stopped paying attention to him a long time ago.

20 hours ago, Strange said:

I’ve never seen a dude so concerned with what randos on the internet think of them like Elon Musk is.

But the others here are right. He’s a billionaire, that’s strike one. But he’s also standing on the shoulders of the people who have actually done great things and taking the credit. If you’ve ever actually listened to his ideas or his opinions on complex subjects you’ll know the dude is really, really dumb and uninformed, but has made it a point to try and put on an intellectual facade. Probably because of the aforementioned insecurities he has.

His insistence for example to engineer a custom submarine to rescue the Thai soccer team was profoundly dumb. Branding the lead diver for calling him out over it a pedo was evil. 

• Agree 1