IGNORED

The Nintendo PlayStation Prototype is for sale

Editorials Team · Posted

Would he go so far as to lie about it? Is there anyone in Norway thinking "ah yeah, he must be talking about me and my 1.2m offer." I'm guessing that it will close at less than a million, and then this guy will no longer be the center of the universe.

Paying off your debts isn't nothing. "after I spend all that money on stuff that I want, I won't have any left over." Go pound sand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Reading through the listing, I like that they made sure to reference the work that Ben Heck did to get the CD part working but would rather have seen it more honestly described as "refurbishing" the system versus "repairing" it, since he did actually have to swap non-component/wire parts out to get it going, making it not 100% original.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Reading through the listing, I like that they made sure to reference the work that Ben Heck did to get the CD part working but would rather have seen it more honestly described as "refurbishing" the system versus "repairing" it, since he did actually have to swap non-component/wire parts out to get it going, making it not 100% original.

Did Ben share his repair process? That would be very interesting to see.

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Remember that there may be a reserve price, that won't be revealed until the 26th.

He may well have put a couple Mil reserve on it to stop it from selling lower than previous offers. 

Didn't he announce it would be no reserve at some point? Or did I remember that wrong

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, Lincoln said:

Didn't he announce it would be no reserve at some point? Or did I remember that wrong

I've not kept that close an eye on it, I just know there's a message on the auction about it. 

25 minutes ago, Lincoln said:

I'm to lazy to look it up, but I recall he had a video on the process.  Search for his YouTube channel and I'm sure you can find it.

EDIT : Well, there you go.  @Deadeye did my work for me.

32 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Remember that there may be a reserve price, that won't be revealed until the 26th.

He may well have put a couple Mil reserve on it to stop it from selling lower than previous offers. 

I wondered about that, but how does Heritage handle setting up auctions?  They seem to curate their auctions, so I doubt someone could walk up with an item that is truly deserving of the "Grail" term, but then say "Eh, I want a reserve price of elevendy bajillion dollars".  I mean, they have a reputation to uphold.  I don't think they'd list an item with a reserve they didn't feel was at least semi-realistic.

Edited by RH

Do people really care  though. I mean, on one hand it's not like there's any actual games you can play on the thing so why replace it, but also people do these kinds of replacement and mods all the time and people don't tend to sweat it. In fact it seems like people are willing to pay premiums on it(I.E pokemon carts with fresh batteries)

Edited by PineappleLawnchair

58 minutes ago, Gloves said:

All of Heritage stuff has that reserve will be revealed message, although as far as I've seen almost nothing has a reserve. If there is a ridiculous reserve and it doesn't sell this will be much ado about nothing though, and I will enjoy that very much.

You’d have to wonder how much of the owner’s mindset of wanting to sell over a million dollars has anything to do with the Mario Bros $100,000? And then a few months later some dude goes on Pawn Stars, talks up the game “worth to him” a million bucks. 

We are currently in an era where 6 to 7 figures are being thrown around like if it’s the norm for one or two of a kinds of a retro gaming piece. Sellers are looking from the vantage point “what it can sell for” instead of any referencing to “past sales”. It’s becoming a bit of a worrying trend, to be honest.

FWIW, it’s a cool piece of history. My guess would be around $100,000-150,000. This seems to be the magical range where rare expensive items are priced at in the current market. Would I spend that much? No thanks! I need to save up for future medical bills.