IGNORED

The Nintendo PlayStation Prototype is for sale

46 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Don't these all go to live auction after this initial bidding, with these numbers just being the starting point or something like that? Part of why I've not even bothered at all with these auctions is that the whole process seemed convoluted. 

Yes.  But let's say the internet bidder is really at $1M, just the bid is showing as $280k because no one bid against him.  Then during the live session his bid will automatically beat any bid placed below $1M.  

In other words, you don't have to be active in the live session to win an item.  But yes you'd probably have to have a significant max bid already placed.

• Like 1

I’d offer $2000 for it. Though I think it probably deserves to be more, maybe around $20,000 to $50,000 (without the hype). 

More complexing questions:

If the auction is going to a live auction after the online bidding, what is the incentive for bidding so high earlier on in the online bidding?

Furthermore, why need to continue into live bidding and not just conclude at the online bidding?

4 minutes ago, GPX said:

I’d offer $2000 for it. Though I think it probably deserves to be more, maybe around $20,000 to $50,000 (without the hype). 

Furthermore, why need to continue into live bidding and not just conclude at the online bidding? 

Because they do real auctions for wealthy people not fake auctions for us proles like eBay does. Real auctions are live and they continue until no one wants to bid anymore. They do not just end at a set time. 

Also I think it's funny that your max for this is $50k. That's like a rare game, not a one-of-a-kind item. At least, as long as this is really the only one to exist, and considering how legendary it is (represents a major turning point in the games industry), $50k seems laughable. No offense. 

Edited by MiamiSlice

3 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Because they do real auctions for wealthy people not fake auctions for us proles like eBay does. Real auctions are live and they continue until no one wants to bid anymore. They do not just end at a set time. 

Also I think it's funny that your max for this is $50k. That's like a rare game, not a one-of-a-kind item. At least, as long as this is really the only one to exist, and considering how legendary it is (represents a major turning point in the games industry), $50k seems laughable. No offense. 

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

50k is fairly laughable.  I don't recall but I know that entombed sealed pristine copy of Stadium Events pulled over 42k didn't it a couple years back?

The issue is though, everyone seems to correlate and extrapolate rare video game items to that of a rare video game. I did mention 50K if there was no hype, meaning that's what I feel would be the end result if simply let bid on Ebay without all the "publicity stunts".

And here's my line of thought (if there was no hype):

- Has any video game console (prototype, rare, or whatever) ever sold more than 20K? Certainly I've not heard of any outrageous offers on a console prior to this current console auction. Then you have to wonder why it's all of a sudden 10 times more than what it's possibly sold for in the past, or 20-50 times more with the end auction result.

- oh but GPX! A rare video game sold for 100K and alledgedly some other stuff is going for more than that recently! Well that's a fair point I suppose, but then I'd argue a rare video game with Mario and a first print sticker-sealed, is desirable by pretty much any gamer/collector out there on Earth. How many of us are into collecting console prototypes?

- lastly, if console prototypes are hot property, then we'd hear about them peaking 100K prior to any video game reaching that status. So how I see it, there is much less desire for a rare console than a rare game.

---------------

Anyway, just throwing some rationale at the situation. I understand that 2 crazy billionaires could be bidding right at this instant, and I might end up with egg on my face.

• Thanks 1

I think you're missing the multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars already bid on the thing!

I know people are used to fake news or whatever, but this thing is already sold for AT LEAST the current bid... So anyone arguing this isn't worth 50k, umm... Wot?

Edit: Figured I might as well add this here because you mentioned it several times @GPX, but why exactly would you subtract the influence of "hype" on the price of the system? What's the difference between "hype" and marketing, or "hype" and demand? At the end of the day, the value of the system is determined by a huge number of known and unknown factors, and "hype" is a perfectly valid one.

Where would the value of a sealed SE be without "hype"? Where would the 100k Mario be? It's impossible to say because we live in a world where "hype" actually exists. If you discount "hype", why not discount any other number of factors which effect value?

Edited by OptOut

1 hour ago, Deadeye said:

@OptOut Rooster posed the question of: Without hype/marketing before hand, just posted as FO on VGS, what would the prototype sell for.  GPX answered it with his opinion.

I see.

In that case my answer is it wouldn't sell on VGS because the seller would quickly realise he could see more money selling in the wider market.

You'd have to be a fool to limit your pool of potential buyers to such a small niche crowd for a unique item of this significance.

Speculating what it "could have sold for" or "should of sold for" is kinda moot when we are witnessing the current market value for the item unfold in real time...

Have your fun, I guess but I'd rather keep my eye on the reality of the situation rather than some imagined scenario... Unless you wanna get super creative with it!

How much would the Nintendo Playstation be worth if everything else was the same, but no hype, and also every 24 hours a batch of baby radioactive scorpions crawled from the cooling vents? 😝

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

I see.

In that case my answer is it wouldn't sell on VGS because the seller would quickly realise he could see more money selling in the wider market.

You'd have to be a fool to limit your pool of potential buyers to such a small niche crowd for a unique item of this significance.

Speculating what it "could have sold for" or "should of sold for" is kinda moot when we are witnessing the current market value for the item unfold in real time...

Have your fun, I guess but I'd rather keep my eye on the reality of the situation rather than some imagined scenario... Unless you wanna get super creative with it!

How much would the Nintendo Playstation be worth if everything else was the same, but no hype, and also every 24 hours a batch of baby radioactive scorpions crawled from the cooling vents? 😝

That answer 3x + hype / irl vgs= 3.50 

• Haha 1

GPX I get your argument, hell I do even agree with it pretty much.  It's just this one is unique, very unique.  Even if it just got minimal notice being tossed on ebay or whatever with word of mouth, and not hyped to hell and back by HA and the rest, I still think it would at minimum be a six figures device.  There's just too much history there, too much bad blood, an amazing stories around this one that somehow survived.  It's the mother of all WHAT IF... that actually existed, had Sony not tried to dick Nintendo and it did actually come out where would our gaming world be now?  Dramatically quite different that's for sure, maybe not at this very moment, but the 90s into the 00s would.  It's just on another tier from some super insane rare video game or video game time piece of an event like the NWC carts.  As you kind of put it, it's a unique unknown known.  There's nothing to gauge it by, hype or not, but those who know or grew up in the 90s what the hell that thing is, they'd make a play for it.  SUre they'd want it as cheap as possible, but given the time frame we're looking at, some heavy money could get into a fight on it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

GPX I get your argument, hell I do even agree with it pretty much.  It's just this one is unique, very unique.  Even if it just got minimal notice being tossed on ebay or whatever with word of mouth, and not hyped to hell and back by HA and the rest, I still think it would at minimum be a six figures device.  There's just too much history there, too much bad blood, an amazing stories around this one that somehow survived.  It's the mother of all WHAT IF... that actually existed, had Sony not tried to dick Nintendo and it did actually come out where would our gaming world be now?  Dramatically quite different that's for sure, maybe not at this very moment, but the 90s into the 00s would.  It's just on another tier from some super insane rare video game or video game time piece of an event like the NWC carts.  As you kind of put it, it's a unique unknown known.  There's nothing to gauge it by, hype or not, but those who know or grew up in the 90s what the hell that thing is, they'd make a play for it.  SUre they'd want it as cheap as possible, but given the time frame we're looking at, some heavy money could get into a fight on it.

Very good points.to think it’d be cheap here is funny since many collectors in this forum have the money and/or quality high dollar items. I remember when the power fest was offered on Na for over 10k. No clue if it sold.