IGNORED

The Nintendo PlayStation Prototype is for sale

13 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'd kill to own this but there's simply no way I could afford it in any way. 

Yeah, this is me.  I imagine myself in a poker tourney environment with HUGE tables. Everything I own game related is on the table, I shove it forward and I just say "I'm all in".

Everyone else just laughs.  And then offers 4-5x the value of everything I own in my collection.

I'm sure this won't go for less than six-figures.  Didn't it first sell for around $10-15k? I can't imagine it going for less than that.

EDIT

Well, I posted that before seeing Kelsey's tweet.  $3m is laughable.  Maybe, maybe, in another 10-20 years but not to day. The most I could see this going for at a well advertised auction would be $250k and even then, I'd imagine there'd have to be a lot of passion in the room.  $3m, yeah, even if I was a billionaire who wanted this, I'd laugh at the guy.

Unrelated to value, though, I really want to see that thing get retrobrited by a plastic conservationist.  It really is an awesome looking device (actually, kind of reminds me of the Wii if it were envisioned in the 90s) but I'd still like to see the exterior restored if it can be done without damaging the plastic and making it brittle.

Edited by RH

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, RH said:

Yeah, this is me.  I imagine myself in a poker tourney environment with HUGE tables. Everything I own game related is on the table, I shove it forward and I just say "I'm all in".

Everyone else just laughs.  And then offers 4-5x the value of everything I own in my collection.

I'm sure this won't go for less than six-figures.  Didn't it first sell for around $10-15k? I can't imagine it going for less than that.

EDIT

Well, I posted that before seeing Kelsey's tweet.  $3m is laughable.  Maybe, maybe, in another 10-20 years but not to day. The most I could see this going for at a well advertised auction would be $250k and even then, I'd imagine there'd have to be a lot of passion in the room.  $3m, yeah, even if I was a billionaire who wanted this, I'd laugh at the guy.

Unrelated to value, though, I really want to see that thing get retrobrited by a plastic conservationist.  It really is an awesome looking device (actually, kind of reminds me of the Wii if it were envisioned in the 90s) but I'd still like to see the exterior restored if it can be done without damaging the plastic and making it brittle.

If I was a billionaire I'd drop 3m on this easy. That's pissing money. 

If I had 3m of spending money this would be an easy buy. The owner is clearly waiting for the famous rich person who has to have the one and only, this is why it's in the news so much. Throw out what we consider a crazy number, and that'll get media attention. Now he just has to wait for someone to go "I can afford that, and that sounds hella cool to be the owner of". 

That or a rich comic collector, apparently they're loaded. 

Just now, Gloves said:

There are many collectibles I want and, if I had loads of useless cash, I'd throw ludicrous amounts at them if I could get them. That said, I'm to principled.  I might value something way above it's general expected value, but there's a point where I see exploitation, and when that happens, I just walk away.

13 hours ago, Br81zad said:

3 mil?!

I played SF2 on that very machine a few years ago at the Louisville Arcade Expo. I had no idea at the time that I was handling a multi million dollar piece of tech. Lol

Same here, same year I remember that. They were nice to talk with for a bit while playing that game.

3 hours ago, ookii_risu said:

$3 million... think of all the hookers and blow you could have for that instead.

ill-make-my-own-wallet-with-blackjack-and-hookers-bender-51471479.png

Edited by Tanooki
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Same here, same year I remember that. They were nice to talk with for a bit while playing that game.

It was just sitting out in the open on a table next to a monitor. No real security measures taken. 

Anybody coulda put on a mask and snatched the damn thing. lol

8 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

It was just sitting out in the open on a table next to a monitor. No real security measures taken. 

Anybody coulda put on a mask and snatched the damn thing. lol

You got that right, and they were just kind of chilling, eating, wandering too.  Someone could have come in total cosplay style and walked off as it was not bolted down or anything at all.

14 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

You got that right, and they were just kind of chilling, eating, wandering too.  Someone could have come in total cosplay style and walked off as it was not bolted down or anything at all.

I guess if you did steal it, it would effectively lose any and all resale value. Tough to sell a 1 of a kind item without getting caught. lol

Had the funniest  interaction with the owner of this thing at Midwest Gaming Classic this year. He had it on display and letting people play it at the official after party at the hotel. Had it sitting in a high traffic area where people were going to and from the bar to get drinks. People were partying etc and bringing their drinks around it. I pick up the controller to play and go to reset the system and he went ape shit on me. "Do you know what that is!!!!" and so on. Bit my damn head off. lol. If I had a piece of historical hardware I thought was worth a million dollars that would be the last place I would have it on display. It was pretty much a rave environment. haha

@Foochie776 was there with me I believe and so was @K.Thrower

Edited by Sign Collector Guy

1 minute ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

Had the funniest  interaction with the owner of this thing at Midwest Gaming Classic this year. He had it on display and letting people play it at the official after party at the hotel. Had it sitting in a high traffic area where people were going to and from the bar to get drinks. People were partying etc and bringing their drinks around it. I pick up the controller to play and go to reset the system and he went ape shit on me. "Do you know what that is!!!!" and so on. Bit my damn head off. lol. If I had a piece of historical hardware I thought was worth a million dollars that would be the last place I would have it on display. It was pretty much a rave environment. haha

Just one Jack Daniels splash away of being nothing but a sizzle.

1 minute ago, RH said:

Just one Jack Daniels splash away of being nothing but a sizzle.

I think he was totally uncomfortable with having it set up there. I clearly had no idea how important this thing was he made me feel like. I tried to have a conversation with him but he continued to talk down on me irately. lol. 

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

If I had 3m of spending money this would be an easy buy. The owner is clearly waiting for the famous rich person who has to have the one and only, this is why it's in the news so much. Throw out what we consider a crazy number, and that'll get media attention. Now he just has to wait for someone to go "I can afford that, and that sounds hella cool to be the owner of". 

That or a rich comic collector, apparently they're loaded. 

$3M is a price for a company or museum to pay. There are companies that will buy stuff like this to have in their "vault" aka historical archive. Like Nintendo has certain items from their history preserved and puts some on display. For a museum like National Videogame Museum this would be a good investment. I think it's smart to ask for a high price, better chance it will be preserved and made accessible if it goes to a business entity than if it were to go to a private collector. 

Just to add: I think it's funny that people threw out numbers like $15k or $25k which is basically what a Stadium Events will go for, and we know those are not "one of a kind." 

I also think it's funny someone was talking about "you can't do much with it" on a forum where many people buy and talk about sealed games they never intend to open. 

This is the mythical, legendary prototype. Of all the important pieces of gaming history one could own, this is up there with the most important ones. Like an NWC cart, and even those aren't as rare as this. 

Also the seller clearly has no urgency to sell. There's no opportunity cost and probably very little chance of this item losing value because more are discovered. If he ends up coming down on his price he will still walk away with a lot. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Just to add: I think it's funny that people threw out numbers like $15k or $25k which is basically what a Stadium Events will go for, and we know those are not "one of a kind." 

I also think it's funny someone was talking about "you can't do much with it" on a forum where many people buy and talk about sealed games they never intend to open. 

This is the mythical, legendary prototype. Of all the important pieces of gaming history one could own, this is up there with the most important ones. Like an NWC cart, and even those aren't as rare as this. 

Also the seller clearly has no urgency to sell. There's no opportunity cost and probably very little chance of this item losing value because more are discovered. If he ends up coming down on his price he will still walk away with a lot. 

Why can't more be discovered. Is that official, did Sony and Nintendo only make one?

4 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

There could be more, but no one else has come foward or it was the only one to leave Sony.

Okay, ya, that makes one more sense.

Someone should really start knocking off those controllers though. Probably just need a famicom controller and some spray paint.  

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

It is definetly an important piece of history, but what does it represen?

I mean you had two video game developers who couldn't see eye to eye. And because they couldn't agree, Nintendo probably took some short term and long term losses, but overall the gaming industry is better because Sony and Nintendo didn't work together longer. 

The moral of the story is if you don't get along with someone it will all work oit for the better?

Competition > Synergy ?

Edited by Californication

5 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

The seller had no idea what he had until his son found out and the internet told him.

Sealed games have art and are nice to look at, they have substance from nostalgia. 

You know, I will admit I am wrong and it will sell for more than I threw out there.

How about this, if I had unlimited money the most I would spend would be 15k.

• Like 1