IGNORED

The Nintendo PlayStation Prototype is for sale

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I thought it could for as high as double that price, but this seems appropriate. It's basically a very expensive paperweight. An extremely rare and pretty cool paperweight, but a paperweight nonetheless.

It functions! I know it doesn't do anything special, but one can observe and demonstrate a bit of Sony engineering from the 16-bit era. 

I honestly think it was a mistake to have the thing listed so long on the site. I understand wanting to garner interest, but it also seems to have burned the hype and passion buyers. People realizing they had bid obscene $ on the thing.

Edited by Nintegageo
  • Like 1

Here is a hypothetical question for everyone.

Let's just say that today we discovered that there was a Super Mario Bros. CD game that had been in development for this system and that the disc is fully playable on the prototype system, and just for the sake of the hypothetical, the game was 99% complete.  In other words, we just discovered a fully playable unreleased Mario game that only works on this prototype system.  What would that do to the value of this system?

21 minutes ago, Californication said:

Should have taken care of the yellowing. Shm.

bah, you gotta appreciate that rich patina!

22 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Here is a hypothetical question for everyone.

Let's just say that today we discovered that there was a Super Mario Bros. CD game that had been in development for this system and that the disc is fully playable on the prototype system, and just for the sake of the hypothetical, the game was 99% complete.  In other words, we just discovered a fully playable unreleased Mario game that only works on this prototype system.  What would that do to the value of this system?

it shouldn't matter, this system should be valuable regardless, but sure, it would increase the value IMO

I thought they had already identified a prototype game that was found with this system? that it was able to play? Am I mis-remembering? 

I don't know to what extent this has been discussed, but is there any chance Nintendo or Sony sue the owner to reclaim the hardware? I'd be concerned about expending any considerable amount of money on something if there's a chance I'd be taken to court over ownership, or I'll put it in another way, are we sure the seller is without a doubt the legal owner and Nintendo and/or Sony can't claim ownership?

2 minutes ago, Abelardo said:

I don't know to what extent this has been discussed, but is there any chance Nintendo or Sony sue the owner to reclaim the hardware? I'd be concerned about expending any considerable amount of money on something if there's a chance I'd be taken to court over ownership, or I'll put it in another way, are we sure the seller is without a doubt the legal owner and Nintendo and/or Sony can't claim ownership?

If they wanted to my guess would it would have been done during the original discovery hype of the item. Not right after some poor soul spent $360k on it. 

Edited by TylerBarnes

11 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Would there really be a case for reclaim?  It was sold at am office liquidation lot, from their story.  

Just wondering if they could have a case here, so a former CEO had it and left it behind, are we sure he was the legitimate owner? Could Sony do something like file a stolen property police report and reclaim it? Or if something has been liquidated, whoever purchased it is now the legitimate legal owner regardless?

Edited by Abelardo

On 3/5/2020 at 6:24 PM, OptOut said:

I think you're missing the multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars already bid on the thing!

I know people are used to fake news or whatever, but this thing is already sold for AT LEAST the current bid... So anyone arguing this isn't worth 50k, umm... Wot?

Edit: Figured I might as well add this here because you mentioned it several times @GPX, but why exactly would you subtract the influence of "hype" on the price of the system? What's the difference between "hype" and marketing, or "hype" and demand? At the end of the day, the value of the system is determined by a huge number of known and unknown factors, and "hype" is a perfectly valid one.

Where would the value of a sealed SE be without "hype"? Where would the 100k Mario be? It's impossible to say because we live in a world where "hype" actually exists. If you discount "hype", why not discount any other number of factors which effect value?

I’m not discounting hype by any means. You need to hype things up to garner the right kind of interest in your market. What I’m sceptical about is the amount of “artificial hype”, by that I mean fake news/false claims/blatant lying. Examples:

- “turned down offers 1-3 million”

- “everyone would want a piece of this rare history”

Once you start off with false claims, then in my eyes, you’ve started the ball rolling for a shill bidding process. Effectively, the end price is not a true reflection of the market. And why I talk about hype more than other factors? Because that’s the main thing sellers can lie about. You can’t really lie much about condition or rarity status.

57 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

bah, you gotta appreciate that rich patina!

it shouldn't matter, this system should be valuable regardless, but sure, it would increase the value IMO

I thought they had already identified a prototype game that was found with this system? that it was able to play? Am I mis-remembering? 

There was a cart of some kind but iirc it's not working? Or just a bios cart to run the disc drive.

It's been reverse engineered and emulated, and someone released a game that runs in the emulator and would theoretically run on the real thing.