IGNORED

Are you also an OG hardware snob? What are your exceptions?

RH

We all have differences in opinions on how we prefer to enjoy playing games.  Some of you guys don't mind playing a bunch of Everdrive carts on emulation/FPGA consoles with updated and more ergonomic controllers. Others (myself included) prefer OG hardware as much as possible.  This include games, consoles, controllers and peripherals.

For those of us in the latter group, what are your exceptions.  Here's my list.

• Saturn - I want to get an ODE or a Satiator so I don't have to mod my unit.  I really want to get into Saturn gaming but between the high prices of the really good games and the fact that I've found the games/cases to be so frail, I'd like to just update the optics/storage.
  • PSX - I own two PS1s and I want to play my OG games on an unmodded system, with OG controllers.  For older games, I even prefer the original, non-Dual Shock controller!  However, there are a lot of games I'll never own and rather than modding a system to play burnt CDs, I want to eventually install an ODE.  I also have an 8bitMods Memory Card Pro which has special features and functions to work with an ODE.  I want to take my seconds PSX and mod all of that to work together!
  • Game Boy/Game Gear - I love my Game Boy and I even still love playing on the old green screen display, but finding the right lighting is always a pain.  The Game Gear is also a horribly broken device that takes a lot of work to keep running.  The solution for me has to get the Analogue Pocket.  Normally, I wouldn't like such an upgrade and I completely understand it's not the original experience but great detail has been put into the GB filters that I love it.  I have a GG adapter on back order which will hopefully ship soon.  From what I've seen, the OG GG filters look pretty close to the original with out being super flawed.  I think this is a good sacrifice.
  • Memory Cards - I already mentioned my PSX MemCard Pro.  It's been great so far and it's a small part of the "experience" I don't mind sacrificing for consistency. I still have tons of PSX memory cards just in case I want to pull them out, but I don't need them.  I don't have other memory cards but I am considering getting the N64 "ForeverPak".  If I find other, quality memory card replacements for the PS2 or GameCube and they have a good reason to invest in, I'll likely pick those up too.
  • Controllers - Go OG, or go home! This is especially true for the N64 because though I can admit it's wonky, I also feel that's part of the experience and I love the experimentation.  Some developers actually utilized the feel of the controller and it's lost if you replace the controller with something different.  However, old hardware is inconsistent and broken for so many consoles.  What I don't mind is buying quality, replacement parts.  This is especially true for the N64's joystick.  I can argue all day of why you need an OG controller, but you'll never see me arguing to keep that worn out, loose analog stick.  I do keep all of my original hardware, but replacing the analog stick is often a must, first repair for any new controller I pick-up.

What about you guys?  If original hardware is your rule, do you have exceptions?  If so, what are they?

Edited by RH
  • Like 4

Graphics Team · Posted

I'm perfectly fine with clone-consoles and emulation.

I do prefer original controllers, however. Or at least "original-style" controllers. (I'd rather not play Atari 2600 with a d-pad if I can avoid it.)

I'd make an exception for arcade-sticks, though. Everything is more fun with an arcade stick.

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.3ee23b6564f180070739fa9ef9013ad7.jpeg

• Like 4

I play everything on original hardware with the exception of whatever Analogue makes. I didn’t get a pocket but I do have a NT noir, Super NT, and a Mega SG. I’ll likely retire my TG16 if they ever get around to releasing the Duo. I’m not really an on the go gamer so the pocket doesn’t appeal to me. I do have an ODE in my GameCube but I have another non modded GameCube that I play on for the discs I have. Besides the GameCube ODE and the few roms on it, all my games are OG. I just like owning them. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 3

I prefer original hardware as much as possible, and while I like to use the original games when I can, I'm willing to cheat with devices that play the software in the exact way as the original games.  

A few examples:

• NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA - I have a decent collection of games for each of these systems, but I tend to use my Everdrives to play all of my games, even the ones that I own.  It's just easier using one cart with all of the games on the SD card.  It's also easier to incorporate cheats for a game if needed.
  • GameCube - I have a small collection of games, but my GC is modded to read burned discs so I can play some of the harder to find titles.  I would like to get a device that reads games off an SD card, but I don't have it yet.  I also use my GC with a GB Player along with my GB and GBA Everdrives.
  • Wii, Wii U, Switch, DS, 3DS - I don't have any mods or hacks to any of these systems yet.  I just play my original games, but I rarely use backwards compatibility for anything that has it since I prefer the original system/controller.  The only exception to backwards compatibility might be with playing DS games on a 3DS.
  • PS1 - No mods.  I just play my original games of which I have a little over 50% of the US library.  I don't even use a region mod.  I have a separate JP PS1 to play my Japanese games.
  • PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSTV - No modes.  Just the original games.  I don't typically use any of the backwards compatibility.
  • Sega Master System, Genesis, 32X, Game Gear - I have a decent collection of games for each of these systems, but I tend to use my Everdrives to play all of my games, even the ones that I own.  It's just easier using one cart with all of the games on the SD card.  It's also easier to incorporate cheats for a game if needed.
  • Sega CD - Small collection of games, but I also have a lot of burned games.
  • Sega Saturn - modded with a chip that allows for burned games, and I use an Action Replay to play Japanese games.  My collection is almost entirely burned games.  I would like to eventually get an SD card reader.
  • Dreamcast - I use both an unmodded DC to play my disc games, but I also have a second DC with the GDEmu to play games off an SD card
  • TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine - I have a Japanese Duo R and I only have a handful of Hu cards and discs.  I play it almost entirely with my Everdrive and burned discs.  I own an Arcade card which allows me to play any type of disc game that I can burn.  I would like to eventually get one of the SD card readers that would attach to the back of a Core Grafx that I also own
  • Atari 2600, 5200 - No mods or SD card readers.  I would like to eventually get one for each system, but I own pretty much any game I would want to play, and I rarely play these systems so I 'm in no rush
  • Jaguar, Lynx -  I have GameDrives for both of these systems to play games off an SD reader along with a small collection of original games
  • Jaguar CD - I have half the games, and I've read that you can play burned discs, but I haven't tried it.  Retro HQ was working on getting CD games to play off his GameDrive, but I haven't been keeping up to see if that has happened
  • 3DO - Small collection of original games.  I've read that this console should be able to read burned discs with no modding, but I have never had luck with that.  It might be an issue with my laser, but I own two systems and neither has been able to play burned discs.  They have SD card readers for this system, but it's another I don't play often
  • Xbox, Xbox 360 - I've never bothered to try any mods.  I just have a small collection of games for each system
  • Neo Geo MVS (consolized) - They make an SD card reader, but it's expensive and my 151 in 1 cart includes about 90% of the games I would ever want to play, so I just stick with that.  I own no original games and I have no intention of paying $$$ for any
  •  
  • Like 3

Historically it was legit hardware utterly unmodified, largely kind of still is other than some exceptions.  Hardware I'm using as a general word for any original tangible good (system, controller, hookups, games, accessories, etc.)

Around the mid 2010s though I got fed up with how old stuff tended to suffer on flat panels, and CRTs I want nothing to do with as they quite frankly suck, so the only one left is in my Neo Geo.  So I bent on that rule, somewhat or went around the side of it in some cases.  For the NES and N64 I have the internal HDMI kit applied but it's still stock otherwise. The Gamecube is stock, but I have an external HDMI adapter off the digital port which is fantastic.  On the handheld side I put a modern panel into a GBC I kept for 8bit fun, but I've not gone hog wild on my DMG, GBP or any form of GBA, left them alone.  The NES I still have a CIB Action Set.

SNES I have a CIB DK Super Set, but it's stored on display(w/Action Set) because for that I got a SuperNT since it's spot on, solid core.  I did the same for Sega Genesis, but only after getting a Nomad and when it's panel failed I got a composite LCD put in, but it still functions like it should, just cleaner on screen.

Controls though, I'm all about original when on the consoles, original and licensed first party -- Advantage/Super Advantage, stock controllers NES through GC.  I've never found a third party controller that does as nice a job I like that wasn't licensed with first party art to the box (like HORI stuff.)

The Neo Geo I mentioned, kind of wish it had a LCD but left it alone, everything is stock original as it was before me well cared for largely gently it appears so it is what it is and has stayed so outside of UniBIOS4 but I kept the old chip.

Flash Kits I largely avoided, but when prices turned into some scam racket for scalping and screwing people I got kits.  I still prefer original, will play and buy original, but if something is a disgusting joke I'll use the kit.  Kit also in use for translated games and unique works as well.  I find they're a double edged sword, too many games mean ADHD-like brain and can't choose, can't stick to a game long, no monetary value on a free ROM to bother when I have tangible paid goods so they come first.

Emulators great for a quick check, try before you buy, or a lazy moment of indecision.  For PC I'm using a stock xbox360 USB controller, since they dominate the PC market and the console ports use their art, it was forced but works best so it's fine.

I also have the NES, SNES, PCE, Genesis, NeoGeo, and Astro City mini cabs -- 100% stock, no modification as it would cheapen them.  I like the limited choice, it's more focused to pick from.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

I prefer original console and controller hardware as much as possible but I'm not at all fussed about playing on everdrives, etc., mostly from a convenience and storage perspective. I also pretty much demand that consoles from the 5th generation and earlier be played on a true CRT. Scalers and scanline filters just don't cut it for me personally. I mean, I'll tolerate it if I have to but it bugs me.

I try to avoid emulation as much as possible but I recognize that it has its uses and can appreciate that.

For classic systems: Original hardware/controller/memory card. RGB modded consoles when available, component or S-Video out when RGB unavailable. Play consoles on a PVM when possible. Original media.

I don’t consider myself a snob. I was just fortunate to begin my collecting journey prior to original hardware and media not yet being super expensive.

• Like 1

Yes, I am a snob. 

1) AVS/Analogue products are top tier

2) rgb modded or output consoles through frameister via hdmi or pure RGB through PVM

Flash carts are fine, but I prefer video quality. 

All clone consoles and emulators are trash, and should be promptly put out of their misery. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Yes, I am a snob. 

1) AVS/Analogue products are top tier

2) rgb modded or output consoles through frameister via hdmi or pure RGB through PVM

Flash carts are fine, but I prefer video quality. 

All clone consoles and emulators are trash, and should be promptly put out of their misery. 

Wow, shots fired!  Though I kind of expected that to happen, I did not expect it to come from that direction.

In all seriousness, how do you feel about old hardware that's really tough to keep alive or will in our lifetimes?

Again, the Game Gear is a good example.  Possibly a better one is Vectrex. You can get working units but due to the fact that they are small, cheap CRTs, I can see it being extremely hard to get a decent, working unit in 10-20 years and I doubt you believe that a system like that should only be appreciated by people willing to drop $1,000-2,000 (spitballing) on a working unit.

/\/\/\ I'm so afraid of the day my Vectrex gives up.  I need to do some work in there to keep it running . . .

I'm definitely not a snob or purist.  I think that playing MAME frequently cures that pretty fast.  Anyone here ever used a foot pedal for a stick-mounted trigger?  I once hacked a plug n play Golden Tee to use as a USB track ball . . .

I do have a lot of original hardware though, so I like to get use out of it.  I tend to go in waves of playing a particular system, so that wave often starts with emulation and ends a few weeks later with a big messy spread of XYZ system and some of the original carts.

I sit in both camps.

My preference is original hardware on a CRT with the best video possible un modded. There’s just nothing that can beat that experience. I have a nice Sony Wega CRT and the games like beautiful.

But sometimes I do love the convenience of just turning on my Analogue consoles with an Everdrive in it, 8bitdo wireless controller and playing on my OLED.

I also strongly disagree with your N64 controller theory haha. Retro fighters Brawler controller all the way! The N64 controller is a monstrosity that should never have been made (waits for all the N64 fanboys to give me angry faces)

• Angry 1

7 hours ago, RH said:

Are you also an OG hardware snob? What are your exceptions?

yes. i prefer to play just about everything via original cart/disc and console. and era-accurate controllers as well. anything else just doesn't "feel" right.

my biggest exceptions would be extremely minor: i don't have a PS1 or an OG Gameboy, so i play those actual games via PS2 and GBA/Super Gameboy. 

my Atari 2600 doesn't always work right, and the controllers are very hit-or-miss. Therefore, i hate playing it. If i get a hankering to play 2600 (or more accurately, arcade) games, i bust out one of the multiple game collections i have for the PS2 (Atari, Activision, Taito, Namco,..... i think there's one more but i can't think of it right now).

I mentioned in another thread recently that i picked up Sonic Gems Collection so that i could play Sonic CD. i don't own a SegaCD and have no plans or desire to ever own one, so this seemed like the best option. I'm sure there's some other compilations that i grabbed to play games of unowned consoles as well. 

Consoles: Analogue FPGA consoles or RGB/HDMI-modded original consoles. Both are top-notch, but the FPGA consoles offer more benefits and QOL features.

The Pocket paired with a Dock will likely be one of my main retro console going forward, seeing as the MisTer cores are being ported over. That way, I can play on my TV as a console with beautiful filters, or handheld on the best screen ever made for gaming. Best of both worlds.

Monitor: Modern low lag display and CRT. Both are great, and offer something unique from each other.

Carts or flashcarts: Both, but mainly flashcarts with improvement/QOL patches for many games.

ODEs for disc-based consoles: Oh, yes.

Controllers: 2.4G wireless from either 8BitDo or RetroFighters. They feel authentic, and have virtually no noticeable lag. No Bluetooth controllers though, as thet are way too laggy. I also own OG controllers for all consoles in great condition, but I'm done with wired controllers.

Other accessories: Stuff like PS1 MemCard Pro is fantastic. Same with FRAM Controller Paks for the N64.

Edited by ifightdragons

Editorials Team · Posted

I only have original hardware and software, outside of the NSO stuff and whatever emulation I've needed for Survivor.

I don't know if I'm a snob.  I just prefer my retro games look unenhanced and on a CRT.  Making it look better seems to go against the spirit of recreating how it was meant to be played.

I guess that is pretty snobby 🤣

Also, I'd much rather spend my money on software.  New games in the collection > some expansive mod or clone console.

8 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I play everything on original hardware with the exception of whatever Analogue makes. I didn’t get a pocket but I do have a NT noir, Super NT, and a Mega SG. I’ll likely retire my TG16 if they ever get around to releasing the Duo. I’m not really an on the go gamer so the pocket doesn’t appeal to me. I do have an ODE in my GameCube but I have another non modded GameCube that I play on for the discs I have. Besides the GameCube ODE and the few roms on it, all my games are OG. I just like owning them. 

You do realize that if you use the Dock with the Pocket, it's a console? Just like the Switch.

Pair that with the MisTer cores now being ported over, you'll soon have all the Analogue consoles all-in-one, as long as you also get the Dock.

The newly ported SNES core on the Pocket is absolutely fantastic. No longer need my Super Nt. The NES core is dropping soon. GB, GBC, GBA, SMS and Game Gear cores are already out. Stuff like Genesis, TG-16, and more will be coming too.

So if I were you, the Pocket+Dock would be top of my list right now. Since you're obviously a fan of their consoles, the Pocket+Dock is going to be all you need.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

So which one is it? 😛

Exactly as i said. Fpga =\= hyperkin

4 hours ago, RH said:

Wow, shots fired!  Though I kind of expected that to happen, I did not expect it to come from that direction.

In all seriousness, how do you feel about old hardware that's really tough to keep alive or will in our lifetimes?

Again, the Game Gear is a good example.  Possibly a better one is Vectrex. You can get working units but due to the fact that they are small, cheap CRTs, I can see it being extremely hard to get a decent, working unit in 10-20 years and I doubt you believe that a system like that should only be appreciated by people willing to drop $1,000-2,000 (spitballing) on a working unit.

No Im an elitist snob. I can afford the best, and except nothing less.I also refuse to use 3rd part controllers, outside of 8 bit do stuff.  Answering OP’s question. 

I dont judge anyone else based on what they play, and how they play it. My personal opinion is that hyperkin products are garbage. If others get great entertainment out of them, then awesome for them! If playing megaman 3 on your psp is fun for someone, I will not trash talk them.

At my work theyve been asking me to bring in an N64 and some games to play 4 player. All i have is my rgb modded funtastic blue ice (or whatever) and all we have at the shop is hdmi input flat screens.

ive been stressing about having to bring my frameister in to get a quality picture, and refuse to just bring in a standard n64 with a made in china component to hdmi adapter. Might just over pay for an hdmi modded n64 or source an ultra hdmi and have ANOTHER hd n64 just so I can supply people that dont care or who couldnt tell the difference with the highest quality, authentic n64 experience.