IGNORED

Are you also an OG hardware snob? What are your exceptions?

RH

10 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Also never heard of this. SNES is always the most reliable for playing games (based purely on keeping the the top load clean, though)...

Go get yourself an OG SNES. You won't be disappointed. 

All the clone systems are shit, especially the controllers. 

Indeed, I wonder if we're in danger of ending up with clone system glut like we had Pong system glut back in the day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Estil said:

Indeed, I wonder if we're in danger of ending up with clone system glut like we had Pong system glut back in the day.

Clone systems have been a thing since the early 2000s (earlier if you count Famiclones). That's twenty years they've been around, and they're not exactly setting the market on fire at any point.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by Tulpa

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Clone systems have been a thing since the early 2000s (earlier if you count Famiclones). That's twenty years they've been around, and they're not exactly setting the market on fire at any point.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I mean more all those x-systems in one we've seen the past few years, both console and handhelds...there seem to be so many coming out how is anyone supposed to know which one is best?

3 hours ago, Estil said:

I mean more all those x-systems in one we've seen the past few years, both console and handhelds...there seem to be so many coming out how is anyone supposed to know which one is best?

What, like Hyperkin's 3-in-1 stuff? Those have been around a lot longer than "the past few years", too. Clone systems are not new, and are still niche. Most hardcore retro gamers ignore them, and they're picked up by casuals who play them for a few months and then shove them in a closet for ten years.

Retro gamers go for original hardware or the FPGA stuff like Analogue that have proven track records. There's no danger of clones crowding out the good stuff, because those are two different markets.

6 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Retro gamers go for original hardware or the FPGA stuff like Analogue that have proven track records. There's no danger of clones crowding out the good stuff, because those are two different markets.

Yeah, this.  "Serious" coillector/gamers go this route.  You're either going to skew significantly toward keeping things original, with some exception or people tend to go for the boutique, high end, low production quality stuff like Analogue harware or MiSTer units.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Estil said:

Good point. There's a metric shit ton.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

What, like Hyperkin's 3-in-1 stuff? Those have been around a lot longer than "the past few years", too. Clone systems are not new, and are still niche. Most hardcore retro gamers ignore them, and they're picked up by casuals who play them for a few months and then shove them in a closet for ten years.

I get what you're saying that the clones aren't going to really change the way people like us game, but I think Estil brings up a good point that there's just going to be a shit ton of busted and shitty clone systems laying around pawn shops like the pong versions were. 

6 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

I get what you're saying that the clones aren't going to really change the way people like us game, but I think Estil brings up a good point that there's just going to be a shit ton of busted and shitty clone systems laying around pawn shops like the pong versions were. 

Those $20 clones are going to be in pawn shops? No, they're going in the recycling bin because no self-respecting pawn shop is going to devote shelf space to them. At least the pong consoles have some value as collectors items. And if you do see them in a pawn shop, that tells you something about that pawn shop (meaning, they stock garbage.)

And even if they are, who cares? No one who does their research is buying them anyway. And if the casuals all drift to them, it means us "real" retro gamers get our pick of the good stuff without the added competition.

I really think people obsess over clone systems too much. They're not going to up and eat your Little Samson or your dog or anything. 😛

Edited by Tulpa

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

Those $20 clones are going to be in pawn shops? No, they're going in the recycling bin because no pawn shop is going to devote shelf space to them. At least the pong consoles have some value as collectors items. And if you do see them in a pawn shop, that tells you something about that pawn shop (meaning, they stock garbage.)

And even if they are, who cares? No one who does their research is buying them anyway. And if the casuals all drift to them, it means us "real" retro gamers get our pick of the good stuff without the added competition.

I really think people obsess over clone systems too much. They're not going to up and eat your Little Samson or your dog or anything. 😛

For me the biggest problem is that they're just shitty pieces of electronics that are increasing the rate of decline of the earth simply for the "instant gratification" of our consumeristic society.   🤷‍♂️

And I wold keep them FAR FAR away from my dog anyways. 😉

3 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

For me the biggest problem is that they're just shitty pieces of electronics that are increasing the rate of decline of the earth simply for the "instant gratification" of our consumeristic society.   🤷‍♂️

Dude, that battle was lost a long time ago. Clone consoles are a drop in the bucket. I mean, browse around Ali Express for five minutes and try not to vomit. The fake games are a far bigger concern. Lord help us if they manage to make perfect labels and whatnot.

Just be glad we have a few FPGA experts and a few dudes who know how to restore old consoles.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Dude, that battle was lost a long time ago. Clone consoles are a drop in the bucket. I mean, browse around Ali Express for five minutes and try not to vomit. The fake games are a far bigger concern. Lord help us if they manage to make perfect labels and whatnot.

Just be glad we have a few FPGA experts and a few dudes who know how to restore old consoles.

No doubt.... I mean, the same thing could be said if we were having a conversation about $15 toasters from Canadian Tire.

But yeah, the fake games.... fuck off with that shit.