IGNORED

VGS Homebrew on the Horizon

Scrobins

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Scrobins said:

Well this is some fun news: iam8bit opened pre-orders for Retrotainment's latest NES homebrew Garbage Pail Kids: Mad Mike and the Quest for Stale Gum!

I really want to back this but I can't find so much as a screenshot, never mind a short video clip of the actual game.  I'm sure it's going to be good quality, but I'm not going to back something completely blindly, on principle.  Does anyone have a link to any material that shows the actual game???

5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I really want to back this but I can't find so much as a screenshot, never mind a short video clip of the actual game.  I'm sure it's going to be good quality, but I'm not going to back something completely blindly, on principle.  Does anyone have a link to any material that shows the actual game???

Iam8bit's Twitter post shows some screenshots of the game, it looks like to be using an identical platforming engine to their Haunted Halloween games.

Personally, I'm so far not that impressed with the video trailer they showed off, pretending that it's some kind of mystery "long lost" game that "caused controversy" while also not showing any footage of the game itself as well, but whatever, good luck to the developers behind the project, the graphics does look rather nice.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Famicuber said:
Personally, I'm so far not that impressed with the video trailer they showed off, pretending that it's some kind of mystery "long lost" game that "caused controversy" while also not showing any footage of the game itself as well, but whatever, good luck to the developers behind the project, the graphics does look rather nice.

Well, it's a gimmick, really.  They're not actually stating that it's actually some long lost, unfinished code, just that a GPK game is "long lost" because plenty of people talked about producing one due to the IP's popularity back in the day, and even more people (kids) discussed this as if it were actually happening, and yet it never did.  Hence, the "long lost, all new" game that's been produced.

I get it if you still don't care for their marketing schtick, but it's head and shoulders above some crap that I ran into in the Colecovision circles, where a guy who churns out pretty garbage homebrew created something he was claiming was him completing the actually "long lost" Dracula game for the system.  The only problem is that multiple Colecovision employees from the era confirmed that not a single line of code was ever written, nor a design doc put together--only a handful of mock up images of what a Dracula game on Colecovision could be, and done with cut up scraps of construction paper (a la South Park), at that.  I got such vitriol from that dude as well as the clueless Colecovision community over pointing out that he was riding on ~40 years of hype unfairly and should update his posts and "marketing" images to accurately describe it as inspired by that I ended up just abandoning that cesspool completely versus deal with the daily harassment I received just continuing to be part of that community, saying nothing.

4 hours ago, B.A. said:

I ordered because I am a sucker for GPK, $100 shipped with tax was a kick in the nuts though! 

Yeah, that's pretty much what immediately put me off from it.  However, I lucked out in finding @a3quit4s's Steam code for the game in Freebies last night, so I'll get to check it out whenever the digital version launches (late this month, IIRC?).  Fingers crossed there's a ROM included, so I can play it on actual hardware.  (I asked about if ROMs were included by Retrotainment via Steam in another thread, but thus far have no definitive answer.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...