IGNORED

How do you rank the 12 home tv console mainline Mario games?

Nintegageo

I'll list them all, as I don't agree that half of the games don't count for some reason.

#1: Super Mario 3D World
#2: Super Mario Sunshine
#3: Super Mario Bros.
#4: Super Mario Galaxy
#5: Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
#6: Super Mario 3D Land
#7: Super Mario Galaxy 2
#8: Super Mario World
#9: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
#10: Super Mario Bros. 3
#11: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
#12: Super Mario Land
#13: New Super Mario Bros.
#14: New Super Mario  Bros. Wii
#15: New Super Mario Bros. U
#16: Super Mario 64
#17: Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
#18: New Super Mario Bros. 2

I still haven't played Super Mario Odyssey, Bowser's Fury, or Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan)

Edited by Lynda Monica
  • Like 1

1.Super Mario Bros. 3 

2.Super Mario World

3.Super Mario Bros. 

4.Super Mario 64 

5.Super Mario Sunshine 

6.Super Mario Bros. 2 (American)

7.Super Mario 3D + Bowser's Fury

8.Super Mario Odyssey

9.Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japanese)

10.Super Mario Galaxy

Haven't played Super Mario Galaxy 2. I've played Odyssey a little, but not much. I needed to do a little catching up and was busy getting all of the Shine Sprites in Super Mario Sunshine and playing through New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 3D Land. Now that I've completed those games I need to get back to playing Galaxy and 3D World, then maybe I'll focus on Odyssey and perhaps give it a better ranking.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, Makar said:

This list has 21 games in the main series

https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_(series)

I would personally omit the two Mario Maker games, and I also might kinda question the inclusion of Mario Run, but other than that yeah, I would go by this list.

5 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Yoshi's Island doesn't count.

🧐

1. Galaxy 1
  2. SMB3
  3. Mario 64
  4. Yoshi's Island
  5. World
  6. SMB1
  7. SMB2
  8. 3D World
  9. Odyssey
  10. Galaxy 2
  11. SMB2 USA (Doki Doki Panic)
  12. Sunshine

Feels weird to rank anything low on this list, as all of these games are fantastic

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I was hitting the sheets as I posted this and 3-D World was sorta cause the wii u didn't seem to have a Mario game otherwise which just seemed strange. Would rank the home console flagship Mario titles have a clearer title?

3D World feels like it's coming in on the sideline, like a "cheaper" spinoff similar to the "New" series, at least in how it's obviously more of a sequel to 3D Land.
But at the same time the difference from 3D Land to 3D World is just night and day. I think the creativity in the game is on the level of mainline entries like Galaxy or Odyssey, which I realize is pretty high praise, but I think it's deserved.
It's an insanely well polished game, it looks amazing (first Mario platformer with true HD graphics, even!), and I have no problems considering it a "mainline" entry.

32 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I acknowledge Yoshi's Island and Lost Levels though I actually thought those might be argued so didn't do them.

I can sorta understand Yoshi's Island. Even though it was advertised as "SMW2" it's a radically different style of game. At the time I thought it was obvious that this is just the next Mario game, but especially with the game receiving spinoffs of its own, it's easy to see it as its own subseries now. I include it on my list because it's always been a mainline Mario game in my perception, and because it's one of my favourites, too.

As for "Lost Levels", I'm not sure how that could possibly be argued? I can easily see the arguments against SMB2 USA because it's well known it's not originally a Mario game, but the Japanese SMB2 was the first straight up mainline SMB sequel, in every sense of the word. 🙂

Edited by Sumez

I haven't played them all yet, I'll rectify that eventually. I'm only going to list the ones I have played.

1. SMB3 

2. SMB2(USA)

3. NSMB

4. Mario 64

5. Super Mario 3D World

6. Super Mario Oddysey

7. Super Mario Sunshine

8. Super Mario World

9. SMB

10. NSMB Wii

11. NSMB Wii U

12. SMB Lost Levels

A couple notes:

All games from 11 and up are at least an 8/10. Ordering my favorites feels like trying to pick my favorite kid at times!

NSMB for DS is criminally underrated. I feel like it loses points with people based on the other entries in the series, which are still good. But the DS version is stunningly amazing. While a bit on the easy side for a Mario title, the control and platforming are every bit as tight as SMB3 making the stages pure joy to explore. And it has shell mario the bulldozer.

• The title was changed to How do you rank the 12 home tv console mainline Mario games?
10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Might want to pop that out, or at the other two legitimate Mario Land games 1 & 2.

And 3D Land

Anyway my list is:

SMW

SMB

SMB3

Galaxy

Odyssey

Galaxy 2

SMB2 bc I'm AMERICAN 🏈🗽

Mario 64

Sunshine

Mario 3D World doesn't fit since it's a handheld series folded onto the Wii U to give the console more content. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

My ranking would look something like this:

SMW, SMB 3, Mario Odyssey, Yoshi's Island, SMB 2, Galaxy 2, Galaxy 1, SMB, 3-D World, Mario 64, Sunshine, Lost Levels

I'm more of a 2-D Mario guy than 3-D Mario and that shows in my rankings. As much as it may not truly deserve it, I'm putting Lost Levels last because a) it's too similar to the original to be all that noteworthy and b) what makes it different is the increased difficulty which, consequently, makes the game less fun.

I personally don't consider SMW2 to be part of the mainline series of games since Mario isn't playable and the game starts another new series.  And this is despite the fact that I consider it one of my favorite games of all time.

Also, I consider SML 1 and 2 to be part of the mainline series of games, but I exclude SML3 for the same reasons that I exclude SMW2.

I also consider all NSMB games to be part of the mainline series.  

I'll get around to ranking them later.  

Edited by TDIRunner

S tier
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario World

A tier
Super Mario 3D World/Bowser’s Fury
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Yoshi's Island
Wario Land
Super Mario 3D Land

B tier
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Bros 2 USA
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Sunshine

C tier
Super Mario Land
New Super Mario Bros U
New Super Mario Bros
Lost Levels

D tier/Not played
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros 2
Mario Maker 1+2
Super Mario Run

Edited by fox
  • Like 1

Adding SMB2j to the list has really highlighted how much people underestimate that game.

I see "it's like a kaizo hack" or "it's too hard to be fun" thrown around way too often as an easy way to dismiss it without giving it a genuine chance. The game is challenging, but it's not that hard. It's just hard for a Mario game, which most people expect to be easy. It takes practice to beat it without using continues, but doing so is consequently much more satisfying.

Here's the thing, I'm one of those people who have been playing SMB1 since the 80s and never really stopped. It's such a quick chill game to pick off the shelf and take a few rounds of, and it never ceases to be fun. Even after my biggest streak of probably 10+ years without touching the game, popping it back in, my muscle memory just set in immediately, and went all the way through without a single death, that's how ridiculously ingrained that game is in my brain!
And I know I'm hardly the only one, this forum alone clearly has a lot of people who are in the same boat. And being able to pick up what's essentially a version of Super Mario Bros. 1 that offers brand new stages and a true genuine challenge is a bit of a blessing that we're lucky to have. Since then, every Mario game has been very focused on being super beginner friendly, so having exactly one Mario game that manages to be challenging is something that should be cherished!

That said, I also think most people's experience with the game is probably from Super Mario All-Stars which has the somewhat buggy physics for that game and SMB1, as well as the changed backgrounds with parallax which actually makes some of the hidden blocks on a couple of stages way more obscure.
The original NES/FDS version (also playable on Wii Virtual Console) is better, though the difference isn't so big that I'd say the All-Stars version sucks. But I really recommend giving the game a chance on an original NES or an emulator.

• Agree 1

Yes some of them "don't count" but this is my order as it is, I just wanted to include every Mario platformer.

[A+] Super Mario 64
[A+] Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2
[A+] Super Mario World
[A] Super Mario 3D World
[A] Super Mario All-Stars
[A] Super Mario Bros. 2
[A] Super Mario Bros. 3
[A-] Super Mario Galaxy
[B+] Super Mario Sunshine
[B+] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[B] Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
[B] Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3