IGNORED

How do you rank the 12 home tv console mainline Mario games?

Nintegageo

OK, i'm ranking based off the list that @Makarlinked. Best to worst. This was harder than i thought it would be, because there's so much quality here. Tried to tier them off.

LOVE LOVE LOVE 10/10:
SMB3
SM World
SM64
SM Galaxy

GREAT GAMES I WILL GO BACK TO REGULARLY:
SMB
SM Land 2
NSMB2 (i liked that million coin aspect, even if i never accomplished that)
SM3D World (**haven't played the Bowser's Fury content**)

SOLID BUT UNCOMMON REPLAYS:
SMB2 (J)
NSMB Wii
NSMB
SMB2 (USA)
SM3D Land
NSMBU + Super Luigi U  (the addition of LuigiU content helped, but the formula was passé by this point)

GOOD ENOUGH:
SM Galaxy 2
SM Maker (love the concept, but obviously totally unbalanced)
SM Odyssey (fun but didn't blow me away)

THE REST:
SM Land (just not much too this one)
SM Run  (forgettable mobile game. breezed through and immediately forgot about it)
SM Sunshine  (not a fan of it really at all)

not ranked/never played:
SM Maker 2

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I like 3D World, but it gives me the same vibe as the New Super Mario series: a multiplayer "party" game spinoff experience.

Agreed. 3D World and the later NSMB games feel like "casual" content, even amidst the already fairly casual nature of the Mario franchise on the whole.

57 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

Agreed. 3D World and the later NSMB games feel like "casual" content, even amidst the already fairly casual nature of the Mario franchise on the whole.

My favorite thing to do in NSMb was to play with a group of friends and we’d all be asses to each other and try and chuck each other off the stage lol. Then you’d have to hop in a bubble for safety. We really screwed ourselves over on quite a few levels but it added a lot of fun to an easy casual game. 

Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, Yoshi's Island, and all four New Super Mario Bros. games were designed by the head Mario team with Miyamoto involved. I don't see why anyone excludes them.

New Super Mario Bros is just as important to Nintnedo as the old games, as New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold over 30 Million copies. They vastly outsold every other Mario platformer outside of the original Super Mario Bros., and only due to it being packed with every single NES.

The 3DS and Wii U games weren't as successful due to the systems involved, but they were still top sellers on those systems. Nintendo knows that no matter the system, New Super Mario Bros. makes serious money.

Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World were an attempt to find a middle ground between the simplistic and successful New Super Mario Bros formula, and the critically acclaimed, but worse selling 3D games. This has been stated in interviews many times, and Mario 3D Land had nothing to do with the Mario Land games outside of including "Land" in the title.

As far as the old Mario Land games go, they're still Mario games even if they weren't by the original team. None of the Metroid Prime or Donkey Kong Country games were even made by Japanese developers, let alone the original team. I don't think many people would try to argue they don't count.

I'm not trying to be brash or anything, nor do I think too highly of the New Super Mario Bros. games myself, but they absolutely count.

Edited by Lynda Monica
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Lynda Monica said:

I don't see why anyone excludes them.

I think that was mostly just in the service of maintaining a shorter and more concise list of games most people had played, honestly.

6 hours ago, Lynda Monica said:

None of the Metroid Prime or Donkey Kong Country games were even made by Japanese developers, let alone the original team. I don't think many people would try to argue they don't count.

That's a funny comparison, though. Because I think it's quite obvious how eg. NSMBW clearly takes after SMW much more than eg. Sunshine does. But the Metroid Prime games are absolutely a separate entity to the 2D ones - people compare Dread to games like Fusion and Super Metroid, not to any of the Prime games, and vice versa.
Moreso though, I don't think I've ever met anyone who'd claim the Donkey Kong Country games are the same series as DK, DKJr, and DK3, that would be really absurd 😛 

27 minutes ago, Sumez said:

That's a funny comparison, though. Because I think it's quite obvious how eg. NSMBW clearly takes after SMW much more than eg. Sunshine does. But the Metroid Prime games are absolutely a separate entity to the 2D ones - people compare Dread to games like Fusion and Super Metroid, not to any of the Prime games, and vice versa.
Moreso though, I don't think I've ever met anyone who'd claim the Donkey Kong Country games are the same series as DK, DKJr, and DK3, that would be really absurd 😛 

It is weird, but that's how these fandoms work if you spend time with them online.

A lot of modern Donkey Kong fans think of Country as the main series, as Donkey Kong's old design has been retired since Game and Watch Gallery 4, and Donkey Kong Jr. vanished around that time too. Almost nothing remains of the original Donkey Kong, so as time went on Country became the main Donkey Kong series.

Similarly with Metroid, the classic style didn't come back until very recently, and from 2002 until 2017 the series was primarily Metroid Prime. They put out Prime, Echoes, Corruption, Pinball, Hunters, Trilogy, and Federation Force, and the only other Metroid games were Zero Mission and Other M. For a very long time Prime was the most prevalent series, so to label them as a separate series tends to annoy Metroid fans.

Yet you'll still find a very large amount of Mario fans who label the New Super Mario Bros. games as spin-offs for some reason.

I don't actually want to get into a huge debate about it as I feel like I've been kind of bothersome in this thread, but I wanted to let you know where I'm coming from. I promise I'll shut up about it now.

Sorry to derail everything. 😔

I don't think anyone minds this discussion. Even if people are free to disagree, it's interesting to see other people's perspective on those things.
I think the NSMB series feels like a spinoff only in the sense that there's a clear direct line going between the "major" releases of 64 -> Sunshine -> Galaxy 1/2 -> Odyssey, and injecting the NSMB games inbetween those kinda breaks that flow. It's not like they aren't genuine Mario games, and I think especially "Wii" and "U" manage to showcase much of the same general level design genius that governs most of the larger budget titles.

25 minutes ago, Lynda Monica said:

A lot of modern Donkey Kong fans think of Country as the main series, as Donkey Kong's old design has been retired since Game and Watch Gallery 4

There's no "main" series, it's just two different series 😄 They can both be main ❤️

26 minutes ago, Lynda Monica said:

Similarly with Metroid, the classic style didn't come back until very recently, and from 2002 until 2017 the series was primarily Metroid Prime.

The classic style (if you consider Fusion such) came back literally on the same day Prime was released. Prime was a short-lived sub-series that only lasted five years, and I think if you considered that the "main Metroid series" up until 2017, that's fine with me, because they are great games, but it arguably says more about your subjective approach to the games than people's general perception of it.

Given the recent discourse, here's my revised list featuring both the NSMB and Land games. 🙂 And I renamed "SMB2 USA" to please the grumpy Tapeworm 😉  Not sure if I forgot anything else.

1. Galaxy 1
  2. SMB3
  3. Mario 64
  4. Yoshi's Island
  5. World
  6. SMB1
  7. SMB2 (j)
  8. NSMB Wii
  9. 3D World
  10. Odyssey
  11. Galaxy 2
  12. NSMB U
  13. Super Mario USA
  14. Wario Land
  15. Sunshine
  16. 3D Land
  17. Mario Land 2
  18. Mario Land 1
  19. NSMB

Didn't play:
NSMB 2, Bowser's Fury

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Here's my take.  I didn't do the SNES games as to avoid spoiling my rankings.  And this is a general sentiment of how I feel about them.  SM64 had a bigger impact on me, but I'd rather play Odyssey nowadays 

1. SMB/LL
  2. SM64
  3. Odyssey
  4. SMB3
  5. Galaxy
  6. Sunshine
  7. 3D Land
  8. NSMB U
  9. NSMB
  10. NSMB2
  11. SMB2
  12. Wario Land
  13. Land

In-progress: 3D World

Haven't played in 30 years: Land 2

Partially played: NSMB Wii

Never played: Bowser's Fury, Galaxy 2

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Reed Rothchild what is SMB LL?

Super Mario Bros. Livin' Large

From the imdb entry

Aspiring TV journalist Mario (Terrence "T.C." Carson) heads down to a local crime scene to meet his industry idol. But in a bizarre turn of events, the reporter is killed, and Mario suddenly finds himself asked to step into the slain man's live, on-camera shoes. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...