IGNORED

Limited Run Games

21 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Supposedly visual novels were "invented" in Japan. Although I question if this is really true. What about Zork and other games? Aren't they basically visual novels? Or are they considered "interactive novels"? How is this really different than Monkey Island and other LucasArts classics? Meh.

There's obviously a lot of overlap, but many visual novels either dispense with choices altogether, make it so the choices don't actually matter, or have only a few possible endings. VNs also tend to let the story play out if there is a choice, rather than ending it prematurely if you've chosen the wrong thing (like in Zork.)

To be honest, Myst is a little closer to a VN than Zork.

Edited by Tulpa

35 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Hmm, so Oregon Trail then is a visual novel? 

What about Shadowgate? Seems like the difference between "point and click" games and VNs are somewhat murky. 

Oregon Trail has minigames like hunting that are more interactive. It also lacks enough content to be like a novel. 

point and click games have more choice and less novel. Lots more searching for stuff and solving puzzles than making key decisions to influence a narrative. 

the point of a visual novel is your choices fit as dialogue into the combined narrative. At the end of a playthrough you have a concise story, not a bunch of LOOK... LOOK... HEAD WEST... CHECK MAP.

Edited by MiamiSlice

13 minutes ago, N64 Gamer said:

I think it just comes down to definitions in the end. Like manga/anime style of drawing was inspired by Disney in the very very early days, so you could technically even claim that manga/anime was "invented" in the US if you want to look at it from that perspective. But people have come to an agreement that manga/anime style drawing was originally made popular in Japan and a lot of the tropes and elaborate art styles came from Japanese artists.

The same way that visual novels have probably been influenced by and taken inspiration from many other games, even western games, but when we think of visual novel, we generally think of the ones that originated from Japan.

Yes, you're certainly correct. Just a bit of questioning on my part 🙂 

Although I will say that some of the "visual novels" seem very similar to point and click to me - at least some claim Ace Attorney is a visual novel. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Wright:_Ace_Attorney

Certainly doesn't seem like a visual novel based on what we've said. 

Anyway, I guess I'm more of a fan of traditional novels than visual novels. Back to Dostoevsky it is...

10 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Yes, you're certainly correct. Just a bit of questioning on my part 🙂 

Although I will say that some of the "visual novels" seem very similar to point and click to me - at least some claim Ace Attorney is a visual novel. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Wright:_Ace_Attorney

Certainly doesn't seem like a visual novel based on what we've said. 

Anyway, I guess I'm more of a fan of traditional novels than visual novels. Back to Dostoevsky it is...

It's kind of borderline. You have a "lifebar" of sorts, in terms of the evidence, and if you use all the evidence incorrectly, the game can end with a loss. But it's also telling a story and the game won't end until you're very deep into it.

Sakura Spirit, on the other hand, there are no choices to be made, IIRC. You follow it to the end.

I don't think there's a clear cut definition that everyone agrees on.

Editorials Team · Posted

Man, LRG is really ramping up the titles.  I'll be doing more purchases in a month than I did in the last year

Purchases:

Thimbleweed Park

Flinthook

Mercenary Kings (traded it)

Night Trap

Golf Story

Layers of Fear

Outlast/Outlast 2

Celeste

Danmaku Unlimited 3

Bloodstained Curse of the Moon

The Messenger

Double Switch

Turok/Turok 2

Divinity II

realMyst

Streets of Rage 4

Shadowgate

Panzer Dragoon

(soon) Jedi Knight 2/Jedi Knight 3

(future) Blade Runner

(debating) Night in the Woods

(debating) Blaster Master Zero

1 hour ago, Inzoreno said:

I'm so happy I waited on these. 

92799753_3059991680727822_677166757458214912_o.png

92792968_3060039950722995_5997030949567594496_o.jpg

Fortunately I'm not interested in the collector's editions which I'm guessing will be around $80 each, but definitely cool that they're releasing these! Now, if they released Knights of the Old Republic, life would be complete...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MisterGoomba said:

I don't get the LE's versions of all of these games 99.9% seem so cookie cutter in what is included. All you get is a typical artbook, OST CD sometimes, or some stickers and manual.

I will always gladly pay for a manual and soundtrack CD. In fact, this might be a surprise to some, ALL games used to come with manuals 🙂 

All that said, these Star Wars limited editions have none of the things you mentioned. Not sure that makes them any more "special". Although I do not plan on getting any of the collector's editions, but I do think they're cool

93049494_3060040084056315_4911053901907623936_o.jpg

Edited by avatar!

5 hours ago, MisterGoomba said:

I don't get the LE's versions of all of these games 99.9% seem so cookie cutter in what is included. All you get is a typical artbook, OST CD sometimes, or some stickers and manual.

It's pretty much been the exact opposite of that.  What you are describing sounds like the perfect LE to me.  I've never purchased an LE from LRG for the very reason that nearly all LE's have NOT been setup that way.  I don't want or need any of the extra stuff they throw in, so I always pass.  

Hey guys, for you all who have frequently purchased from LRG, what is their typical turn around time once the purchase window has closed?  It looks like on their production page, they just give estimates based off of yearly quarters (e.g. Q2 2020, Q1 2021, etc.). Realistically is it like 1, 2, 3 months, or is it often widely relative from game to game?

Also, this would be for standard Switch titles.  Nothing special, and nothing like their limited edition NES/SNES carts.

Edited by RH

46 minutes ago, RH said:

Hey guys, for you all who have frequently purchased from LRG, what is their typical turn around time once the purchase window has closed?  It looks like on their production page, they just give estimates based off of yearly quarters (e.g. Q2 2020, Q1 2021, etc.). Realistically is it like 1, 2, 3 months, or is it often widely relative from game to game?

Also, this would be for standard Switch titles.  Nothing special, and nothing like their limited edition NES/SNES carts.

Are you talking about pre-orders, or regular orders?  Obviously pre-orders will always take longer.  I have very rarely, if ever, waited 6 months for a game, but the vast majority of the orders I've made were NOT pre-orders.  I haven't even ordered a Switch game from them yet.  If the Switch games are talking 6 months, that might be possible, but I can't confirm.

44 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Are you talking about pre-orders, or regular orders?  Obviously pre-orders will always take longer.  I have very rarely, if ever, waited 6 months for a game, but the vast majority of the orders I've made were NOT pre-orders.  I haven't even ordered a Switch game from them yet.  If the Switch games are talking 6 months, that might be possible, but I can't confirm.

Preorders.  Specifically, I bought RealMSYT.  I'm not, and didn't, expect it to ship to my door in a couple days, but since it was just a standard Switch physical, I was curious about how long I might expect it to take to arrive.  They're not doing anything special with this release, so I'd assume the turn around would be as short as it typically could be.  The same would be true for Panzer Dragoon, but they are still taking pre-orders on that one.

Anyway, their production status page says that RealMSYT should ship within "Q2".  So, that could be this month or in June.  The main reason I ask is because we are hoping to move around June/July.  I just want to be sure I coordinate properly delivery and update my address at the right time.  I'm sure I'm going to have to do that with PD, but I am considering taking the gamble with Myst.

@RH Yeah, I can't really help you there.  Like I said, I haven't bought any Switch games yet.  When I look at my order history, I've ordered about 10 games in the past 6 months, and I've had all of them in my possession for a while now.  Only one of those games was a pre-order (PS4), and obviously that one took the longest, but I still got it sometime between 4 and 5 months.  

Edited by TDIRunner

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

34 minutes ago, RH said:

Preorders.  Specifically, I bought RealMSYT.  I'm not, and didn't, expect it to ship to my door in a couple days, but since it was just a standard Switch physical, I was curious about how long I might expect it to take to arrive.  They're not doing anything special with this release, so I'd assume the turn around would be as short as it typically could be.  The same would be true for Panzer Dragoon, but they are still taking pre-orders on that one.

Anyway, their production status page says that RealMSYT should ship within "Q2".  So, that could be this month or in June.  The main reason I ask is because we are hoping to move around June/July.  I just want to be sure I coordinate properly delivery and update my address at the right time.  I'm sure I'm going to have to do that with PD, but I am considering taking the gamble with Myst.

You should expect a minimum of 4 months wait on any Switch game they release. UNLESS the description of the game says they have some produced already which happens every so often. If you order them early on the first day of games that say that then the turnaround time is much quicker. But if the description does not say that then yea Min. 4 months, probably closer to 6. Remember they had a TON of things they hadn't shipped before the Virus, and they were already running way behind even then. So with the Virus stuff on top of it waits could be approaching 8-10 months in my estimation.

1 minute ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Remember they had a TON of things they hadn't shipped before the Virus, and they were already running way behind even then. So with the Virus stuff on top of it waits could be approaching 8-10 months in my estimation.

This is a good point that I forgot about.  Going off past performance probably isn't a good indicator right now.  I would plan on long delays for the foreseeable future.  

4 hours ago, RH said:

This is their official policy

Preorders generally ship 1-3 months following a sale. At the time of the sale, we will post our expected ship date. If that changes due to manufacturing delays, updated information will be posted to the product page. If your order contains at least one item still in manufacturing it will not ship out til all items are available.

If your order contains only items that are in-hand at the time the order was placed, expect that to ship within 1-2 weeks of receiving an order confirmation.

55 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

“that would look look so good if it was like the old 16bit era pixels styles.

I've been saying that for so long.  If you want to make a retro styled game, why not go with 16 bit era graphics?  That era has aged probably better than any era of gaming.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I've been saying that for so long.  If you want to make a retro styled game, why not go with 16 bit era graphics?  That era has aged probably better than any era of gaming.  

Well, I actually prefer the new art style. It would be great if it had a 16-bit mode, but I prefer the cartoon-like visuals 🙂