IGNORED

Limited Run Games

4 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Special Reserve Games is bowing out?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NSCollectors/s/fnBpwyWOJ9

Sounds like they are going to focus more on their amazon store. If that's the case I can't blame them. I think their limited editions are beautiful, but I missed a few because I swear I never got any notifications! On the other hand, LRG emails you all the time 🙂 But they're not leaving --

Team SRG is going to keep turning great Devolver games into great physical editions. The exact manner of how we've been doing that has been changing, and will continue to change, so keep watching our social and reading this newsletter for the latest news!

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

I know a lot of folks didn't like them but  I always got everything I ordered - usually took awhile but they were no means the only company that was true for.

I actually think they made the best and most impressive collector's editions. Again, sounds like they will continue to make great games, and hopefully great merchandise such as their beautiful collector's books.

8 hours ago, avatar! said:

Sounds like they are going to focus more on their amazon store. If that's the case I can't blame them. I think their limited editions are beautiful, but I missed a few because I swear I never got any notifications! On the other hand, LRG emails you all the time 🙂 But they're not leaving --

Team SRG is going to keep turning great Devolver games into great physical editions. The exact manner of how we've been doing that has been changing, and will continue to change, so keep watching our social and reading this newsletter for the latest news!

It’s for the best they get out of the limited print market (sounds like they’re going to straight retail) because they’re customer service really went down hill in recent years

"Bowing out" sounds like a pretty negative take on it.

I mean sure, this could easily be interpreted as an attempt by them to put a positive spin on a failing market, but as I read it it's pretty much a win-win situation.

SRG aren't closing shop, and people with outstanding orders shouldn't be worried about not getting their things.
They are just upgrading their publishing approach to use wide (and as I read it, international) distribution channels, rather than handling the distribution themselves. Ideally this should result in their products being much more accessible, and a lot cheaper, to everyone.

This is unanimously a very good thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sumez said:

"Bowing out" sounds like a pretty negative take on it.

I mean sure, this could easily be interpreted as an attempt by them to put a positive spin on a failing market, but as I read it it's pretty much a win-win situation.

SRG aren't closing shop, and people with outstanding orders shouldn't be worried about not getting their things.
They are just upgrading their publishing approach to use wide (and as I read it, international) distribution channels, rather than handling the distribution themselves. Ideally this should result in their products being much more accessible, and a lot cheaper, to everyone.

This is unanimously a very good thing.

I will miss SRG's limited editions, they are lovely! I should say I expect them to continue to release "Deluxe" editions and more, but not numbered like they used to. Overall this new business model makes more sense as you point out. I guess the "LRG-model" of business is a challenging one! At this point, I think LRG will be going strong for the foreseeable future, and I'm fine with that. Despite the long turnaround times, I greatly value being able to purchase physical copies of games 🙂

SRG just didn’t have very competitive titles and the special editions were kinda meh, you either really liked the reserve boxes or you didn’t. The games got really niche too, like wow a roguelike card game? Whatever.

But anyway I don’t blame them. A lot of the limited print hype was driven by flippers. When you start having games that don’t sell out quick anymore then the FOMO goes away. The funny thing is SRG’s please note section still says their stuff sells out quickly. They probably forgot to update that.

IMG_2220.jpeg

Edited by MiamiSlice

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

No you see this is how comical their brand is. I’m referring to Loop Hero. That’s two recent titles with the same idea. 

Loop Hero is awesome 🙂

Honestly, when I look at SRG lineup, overall it's really stellar! Look here:

Cult of the Lamb = fabulous
Demon Throttle = fabulous
Loop Hero = fabulous
Inscryption = fabulous
Disc Room = meh... I mean, you can't win them all

but out of 5 games, 4 are top-notch. And they really do sell out often. I think their new direction just makes more sense economically.

Inscryption was on so many people's "best of" lists that year, neither it nor Loop Hero is particularly niche, especially not for this audience.

I'd say their recent output was extremely strong, and probably better than what LRG has come up with over the past few months, just advertising the same dumb jurassic park ports over and over, alongside Plumbers Don't Wear Ties - a game only famous for being terrible. 

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

Inscryption was on so many people's "best of" lists that year, neither it nor Loop Hero is particularly niche, especially not for this audience.

I'd say their recent output was extremely strong, and probably better than what LRG has come up with over the past few months, just advertising the same dumb jurassic park ports over and over, alongside Plumbers Don't Wear Ties - a game only famous for being terrible. 

I’m not trying to argue with you guys. Just look at the data. Their store is full of limited print games, typically only 3,000 copies, that have not sold out. They still have inventory of Heave Ho, Loop Hero, Serious Sam, etc. That’s not sustainable. Clearly they are bowing out and changing their model because they have to.

Like I said, it's a win/win situation for everybody. 

And let's be real, the reason LRG easily sells out thousands of copies much faster than any of the other players in the scene do, isn't the quality, or even the popularity, of the games themselves, lol! 

Edited by Sumez

11 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

I’m not trying to argue with you guys. Just look at the data. Their store is full of limited print games, typically only 3,000 copies, that have not sold out. They still have inventory of Heave Ho, Loop Hero, Serious Sam, etc. That’s not sustainable. Clearly they are bowing out and changing their model because they have to.

They do have some games that have not sold out, but the vast majority are sold out --

Screenshot-from-2023-11-04-21-33-43.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, avatar! said:

Supposedly LRG is having some black Friday even or whatever, but it's a real shitshow. You wait and wait, and during checkout it will crash - multiple times. I'm about ready to give up and say screw it, the frustration is not worth it.

I checked on Friday, nothing was on sale.

22 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I checked on Friday, nothing was on sale.

This is  their Black Friday sale:

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/black-friday-sale-2023

It is hidden in that it is not very obvious.  Not much of interest there IMHO and the prices don't seem to be all that special.

Edited by Tabonga

I went in there a couple days ago and was able to pick up Akka Arrh (a game I somehow missed when it first went on preorder) and ended up getting the convention cover of Valis 2 and the VHS style River City Girls Zero without any issue.

Clearly LRG doesn’t inspire the same FOMO it used to because a lot of these items are still not sold out.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 10:58 PM, Tabonga said:

This is  their Black Friday sale:

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/black-friday-sale-2023

It is hidden in that it is not very obvious.  Not much of interest there IMHO and the prices don't seem to be all that special.

The Black Friday Sale from Limited Run Games is never really games discounted, just games that have "sold out" which they managed to find a bit of extra stock to sell.  I am pretty sure they almost never sell their own games at a discount, at the most they will offload extra inventory in bulk to another vendor to sell.  VGP have becoming like a dumping ground for a lot of LRGs unsellable stuff.
https://videogamesplus.ca/collections/limited-run-games

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, xelement5x said:

The Black Friday Sale from Limited Run Games is never really games discounted, just games that have "sold out" which they managed to find a bit of extra stock to sell.  I am pretty sure they almost never sell their own games at a discount, at the most they will offload extra inventory in bulk to another vendor to sell.  VGP have becoming like a dumping ground for a lot of LRGs unsellable stuff.
https://videogamesplus.ca/collections/limited-run-games

I think you're absolutely right. Still, it's good to be able to get some nice exclusives at honestly reasonable prices -- certainly cheaper than on the 2nd hand market 🙂

I'm awaiting the sad day I have to re-activate my cares with LRG once again.

I just saw that via play-asia there's a Valis Collection Vol 3 coming to Switch once more, and again outside of them NOT IN ENGLISH.

I wonder when that game will pop up so I can feed the beast again, then see it the following year.

• Haha 1