IGNORED

Limited Run Games

6 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Im thinking lazy ports of older games is the future of LRG. Well, the present too but it’s become more obvious to me

I personally appreciate ports of older games! The fact that you can actually purchase a physical copy instead of a digital copy makes me happy 🙂

I think the recent slew of ports is not so much an LRG thing as it is that there is enough interest in classic gaming. It was Konami that released the Felix the Cat Collection for the PS Store and Switch Store --
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0101-PPSA19225_00-0159266583099383

Also, the digital copy is $25 -- and LRG is charging $35 for the physical edition. A no-brainer decision to me!

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

I personally appreciate ports of older games! The fact that you can actually purchase a physical copy instead of a digital copy makes me happy 🙂

I think the recent slew of ports is not so much an LRG thing as it is that there is enough interest in classic gaming. It was Konami that released the Felix the Cat Collection for the PS Store and Switch Store --
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0101-PPSA19225_00-0159266583099383

Also, the digital copy is $25 -- and LRG is charging $35 for the physical edition. A no-brainer decision to me!

Eh, It just comes off as lazy me. If they got something substantial added to them like the Atari collection got when it released or something, I could be more excited. As it is now they just slap the rom on a cart

9 hours ago, avatar! said:

It was Konami that released the Felix the Cat Collection for the PS Store and Switch Store --

Reportedly LRG actually approached Konami about Felix The Cat, and Konami had no idea what that game even was when they asked them. I don't know how to dig up the twitter post, but this was stated by a LRG executive.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sumez said:

No-brainer! 🤣

4b04426b4b.png

To be fair, shipping is super expensive. I sent someone just one CD a few weeks ago to the UK, and shipping was indeed $20, and that was the lowest price-point. LRG doesn't have any control over VAT, which it looks like you're getting charged a whopping 38% on a single game? Damn, time to relocate 🙂

20 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Eh, It just comes off as lazy me. If they got something substantial added to them like the Atari collection got when it released or something, I could be more excited. As it is now they just slap the rom on a cart

They do put some work into the ports -- obviously the biggest "change" from the originals is that they are now in HD. Other than that, a number of news channels noted "quality of life fixes", as well as a rewind feature and save at any time feature. Also, considering an original NES Felix cartridge (just cartridge) sells for around $100, this is a wonderful way to get the game, as well as the GB edition, for cheap -- $35 -- well, assuming you're in the USA.

12 hours ago, Sumez said:

Reportedly LRG actually approached Konami about Felix The Cat, and Konami had no idea what that game even was when they asked them. I don't know how to dig up the twitter post, but this was stated by a LRG executive.

I'm going to get the collection regardless, because I love classic gaming, and I appreciate the updates such as quality of life features 🙂

If you do find the article, please share, I'd love to read it. And heck, if I'd probably be doing the same if I was part of LRG, more classic collections is the way to go, especially releasing something that has never had a release outside of Japan, such as --

Screenshot-from-2024-02-23-16-53-19.png

3 hours ago, avatar! said:

They do put some work into the ports -- obviously the biggest "change" from the originals is that they are now in HD. Other than that, a number of news channels noted "quality of life fixes", as well as a rewind feature and save at any time feature. Also, considering an original NES Felix cartridge (just cartridge) sells for around $100, this is a wonderful way to get the game, as well as the GB edition, for cheap -- $35 -- well, assuming you're in the USA.

Depending on the game, the "quality of life" improvements can be a big deal.  As I've mentioned before, the Jurassic Park Collection from LRG allowed me to save my game in the SNES version of Jurassic Park.  Keep in mind, that the original SNES game had absolutely no save feature at all (or even a password feature).  That game required you do everything in a single sitting, and that game can take over 4 hours to complete normally (way more if you are not familiar with the layout).  They also added an in game map to replace the nothing that came with the original game.  Those were much needed improvements to a really fun game.

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

Yeah, I forgot to preorder the Tiger-Heli set last month but I remember seeing how it was mostly the OG game but they had stats on the side bar and I think, maybe, even a map of the current stage.  I was really impressed with that.  Taking ROMs and wrapping them in an emu is one thing but tapping into the logic of the game for meaningful HUD details or adding QOL features like maps and save points can really makes these worth the purchase if you’re a fan of the material.

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

If you do find the article, please share, I'd love to read it. And heck, if I'd probably be doing the same if I was part of LRG, more classic collections is the way to go, especially releasing something that has never had a release outside of Japan, such as --

Screenshot-from-2024-02-23-16-53-19.png

Not only was it unreleased here, but the original cart is ridiculously expensive, so this is a double win for anyone who likes really awesome SNES games...

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, avatar! said:

I appreciate the updates such as quality of life features 🙂

Nothing was changed in the game, it was just put in an emulator. 

Honestly I think especially a game like Felix the Cat is a really good example of the missed opportunity such a re-release offers. It's a fantastic game that's super fun to just play, but it's so extremely easy there's not much to come back for after you've played through it once (which won't take long). A more challenging mode that plays on the game's existing strengths would have been fantastic. 

I tried to google this question and I couldn't find anything useful, but yesterday through Digital Foundry I learned that there is a Dark Forces Remastered coming out on consoles very soon.  Has anyone heard any reasonable rumor or hint on any of these specialty edition sites that it might be coming to a physical form?  I don't think LRG has previewed this since I try to follow their news and, I think, Lucas Arts seems to primarily work with them.  Still, this might be independently published and if it comes to physical, I certainly want to pick it up!

57 minutes ago, RH said:

I tried to google this question and I couldn't find anything useful, but yesterday through Digital Foundry I learned that there is a Dark Forces Remastered coming out on consoles very soon.  Has anyone heard any reasonable rumor or hint on any of these specialty edition sites that it might be coming to a physical form?  I don't think LRG has previewed this since I try to follow their news and, I think, Lucas Arts seems to primarily work with them.  Still, this might be independently published and if it comes to physical, I certainly want to pick it up!

I saw the DF Remaster a while back and I'm super excited for that one.  I haven't heard anything about a physical version, but this is the rare case that if a physical copy isn't available on day one, I will probably buy a digital copy just so I can play it.  If a physical copy comes out later, I will rebuy it.  I don't like doing that and I very rarely do that, but I've been wanting a better way to play Dark Forces for a long time.  I just hope they don't screw up the remaster.  It's supposed to be the exact same game with updated visuals and maybe some extras.  That is all I want.  

They've done the same thing with the original three Tomb Raider games.  The first 3 games have been remastered into a single collection, but as far as I can tell, it's digital only.  As much as I enjoy those games, I'm not in a huge rush to buy the digital only copy since I've played my original copies very recently.  But I'm very interested in seeing the updated visuals if a physical version ever comes out.  

8 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I saw the DF Remaster a while back and I'm super excited for that one.  I haven't heard anything about a physical version, but this is the rare case that if a physical copy isn't available on day one, I will probably buy a digital copy just so I can play it.  If a physical copy comes out later, I will rebuy it.  I don't like doing that and I very rarely do that, but I've been wanting a better way to play Dark Forces for a long time.  I just hope they don't screw up the remaster.  It's supposed to be the exact same game with updated visuals and maybe some extras.  That is all I want.  

They've done the same thing with the original three Tomb Raider games.  The first 3 games have been remastered into a single collection, but as far as I can tell, it's digital only.  As much as I enjoy those games, I'm not in a huge rush to buy the digital only copy since I've played my original copies very recently.  But I'm very interested in seeing the updated visuals if a physical version ever comes out.  

According to the Digital Foundry review, this is a great port and supposedly all of the sprites and cutscenes were not AI upscaled but, instead, hand drawn (or re-3D rendered) to fit modern pixel counts.  The side by sides are phenomenal work.  There's also pixelate-toggle option that will cut down the internal resolution and also scales the image output back to 4:3 so you can get a very, very close approximation to the original feel, so everyone can be happy.  This was also a port from the source code and not an emulator-wrapper implementation where special hooks in the code would change graphics and such, much like many of Nintendo's in-house re-releases.  I was very impressed with the package.

The only real gripe is that the audio is good and "sufficient" but the quality does not match that of a midi-synth device from that ear, like a Roland DS-55, which was used in the review.  However, this is also because they developers didn't want to provide audio recordings faking the audio generation, but instead, wanted to emulate the audio by playing the actual midi files. Regardless, there are few sound options, including Sound Blasters output and the end result is good, just not as absolute best as it could be.  But, according to the devs, that would have been near-impossible to properly emulate and for the purity of the release, they didn't want to simply replace the original code with WAV output.  I, personally, respect that.

Here's the video.  It's worth a watch.

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, RH said:

Well, judging by the past, LRG will likely do it, so I'd expect that announcement by June at the latest (that's when they do a bunch of them).

Another publisher could also do it too, but those were all two-packs, or the recent anthology.  Not sure what DF could be bundled with.

50 minutes ago, RH said:

According to the Digital Foundry review, this is a great port and supposedly all of the sprites and cutscenes were not AI upscaled but, instead, hand drawn (or re-3D rendered) to fit modern pixel counts.  The side by sides are phenomenal work.  There's also pixelate-toggle option that will cut down the internal resolution and also scales the image output back to 4:3 so you can get a very, very close approximation to the original feel, so everyone can be happy.  This was also a port from the source code and not an emulator-wrapper implementation where special hooks in the code would change graphics and such, much like many of Nintendo's in-house re-releases.  I was very impressed with the package.

The only real gripe is that the audio is good and "sufficient" but the quality does not match that of a midi-synth device from that ear, like a Roland DS-55, which was used in the review.  However, this is also because they developers didn't want to provide audio recordings faking the audio generation, but instead, wanted to emulate the audio by playing the actual midi files. Regardless, there are few sound options, including Sound Blasters output and the end result is good, just not as absolute best as it could be.  But, according to the devs, that would have been near-impossible to properly emulate and for the purity of the release, they didn't want to simply replace the original code with WAV output.  I, personally, respect that.

Here's the video.  It's worth a watch.

I definitely have high hopes, and everything I've seen is keeping me excited.  However, after the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy Remaster, I will always have a fear that the end product will be a disaster.  

i received my copy of Trip World (GBA) early this month, around Feb 6th. THE NEXT WEEK, i got an email letting me know that my order had shipped. it was about a week later that i got a confirmation email that it had delivered. First time i've received an item before it shipped. 🤣

10 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

What’s wrong with the Crash Bandicoot collection?

The controls are absolute garbage making it nearly unplayable in any level that requires precision jumping.  This is even worse for those who played the originals enough to develop muscle memory on the platforming.