IGNORED

Limited Run Games

On 4/27/2023 at 11:23 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

Never comes out for Switch.  Buys it for PS4 a month ago.  Gets announced years after the fact 😛

Screenshot_20230427-112155.png

The collector's edition is going to be pricey at $140.  Looks pretty tasty though since there are a lot of goodies in it.

https://limitedrungames.com/products/switch-limited-run-191-alien-isolation-the-collection-collectors-edition

On 4/30/2023 at 10:09 AM, Tabonga said:

The collector's edition is going to be pricey at $140.  Looks pretty tasty though since there are a lot of goodies in it.

https://limitedrungames.com/products/switch-limited-run-191-alien-isolation-the-collection-collectors-edition

The two goodies I enjoy in a collector's edition are

1)Soundtrack CD
2)Art Book

Since neither are included, I'm happy since I don't even have to ponder ordering the collector's edition -- $40 basic version it is 🙂

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

1)Soundtrack CD
2)Art Book

Since neither are included, I'm happy since I don't even have to ponder ordering the collector's edition -- $40 basic version it is 🙂

I am a sucker for cloth maps myself.

I'd agree with the sound track, beyond that, nearly nothing unless a specific toy or something I really would care about appears.  Annoyingly usually the toy is in the $150+ box I want nothing to do with at all, such as that badass TMNT mini arcade cabinet in that TMNT kit some months ago...ugh.  But a year back or two now when they did the Castlevania Collection I went up a notch to buy the soundtrack, it's fantastic.

14 hours ago, avatar! said:

1)Soundtrack CD
2)Art Book

If you go back far enough, you will find a post from me that is almost word for word.  

16 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Didn't toma already release at least two LRG games in the past? 

I know Toma worked on Galf, but as far as I know the two forthcoming games are truly Toma's, whereas Galf was a project he worked on - he of course did a fabulous job 🙂

• Wow! 1

2 hours ago, avatar! said:

I know Toma worked on Galf, but as far as I know the two forthcoming games are truly Toma's, whereas Galf was a project he worked on - he of course did a fabulous job 🙂

By the way, I'm pretty sure Galf was the very first game LRG released for any retro system, this case being the NES -

galf.jpg

• Love 1

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

WOW!! Super congrats to our very own @toma -- you're in the big leagues now 😁

👍👍👍

Screenshot-from-2023-05-03-15-29-37.png

Thanks! I'm super excited to get these games back out there so people have a second chance at getting a cart. I made a few updates to the ROM versions over the years that weren't in the original production runs so it'll be nice to have those changes in there as well.

For Alfonzo, you can replay levels if you missed out on a gold fish or secret exit, and getting a game over won't erase your gold fish count. I feel like those were the two biggest complaints about the original run of that game.

For Eskimo Bob, I'm using the CN-ROM version with animated backgrounds, which only had a very limited physical release before (maybe 50 copies?). The original version also didn't let you see the real ending unless you beat it with a death count of under 100. I increased that to 1000 because I noticed a lot of people never got to see the real ending (not that it's that much different). Added the password to the game over screen too, which was a common request.

I have had a few other releases with Limited Run but it's been contract work or licensed properties, so it's great to finally get a wider release for my original games. Who knows, if they sell well enough I might be able to justify a third game in the series, which I'd really love to do! I've actually been really busy on another licensed title that will be announced in about a month, so it'd be cool to follow that up with something original again.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, SuperNES Paul said:

This was on my wish list for a long time... yay 😄

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I wish they'd chill and do just a legit NES cart of it where it is meant to be.  I'd be all over that. 

SAME. looking at the twitter comments on Limited Run's post, looks like we're not the only ones. wasted opportunity.

• Agree 1

Well the way I see it, that's why the famiclone market exists or legit old.  They don't want to deliver and on the format you want, go find it or make it.  In this case given the texts I'd take a translated cart like one I have, or I'd find one of the PAL carts if the US system can handle it when setup to do it.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

SAME. looking at the twitter comments on Limited Run's post, looks like we're not the only ones. wasted opportunity.

The original Gimmick! used 3 additional channels for the music - this is only possible on the Famicom since the NES could not support that. So, an NES release would either not include the beautiful famicom music, which for many is the highlight of this game, or it would not be playable on the NES/clones.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, twiztor said:

I personally would rather have a fancy modern port release as opposed to what I (personally) view as a glorified repro.

But yeah, you think they'd do both to cater to both crowds.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, avatar! said:

The original Gimmick! used 3 additional channels for the music - this is only possible on the Famicom since the NES could not support that. So, an NES release would either not include the beautiful famicom music, which for many is the highlight of this game, or it would not be playable on the NES/clones.

It would be a slight tradeoff, but the version of the soundtrack that doesn't rely on expansion audio managed to sound nearly just as great IMO

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Sumez said:

It would be a slight tradeoff, but the version of the soundtrack that doesn't rely on expansion audio managed to sound nearly just as great IMO

I know a few people released repros of Mr. Gimmick for the NES, you can probably find them on ebay and other places for around $50. At the end of the day, an official release by Sunsoft would have rocked, but I understand why they opted not to do so.

17 hours ago, avatar! said:

I know a few people released repros of Mr. Gimmick for the NES, you can probably find them on ebay and other places for around $50. At the end of the day, an official release by Sunsoft would have rocked, but I understand why they opted not to do so.

Good luck. The RetroZone version is listed for $2600 and the Flashback version is listed for $3500. I didn't see any other website releases listed.