IGNORED

Limited Run Games

I've had the best luck internationally with DHL or domestic, I'd put them on the high end of not messing stuff up with Fedex.  USPS and UPS the bottom feeders, UPS the worst as they seem to like to add features to boxes like ventilation, new angles, expert package shrinking, and more!

On 1/20/2023 at 10:24 AM, Tabonga said:

I got two games yesterday (one from Limited and one from Strictly Limited).  They both were initially shipped by DHL and then transferred to the local Post Ofiice for delivery.

I had to sign for both of them which was a first for DHL deliveries for me.

Anything that has actually arrived to my house via a DHL truck has needed to be signed for. Which is a pain in the ass for me personally. They always show up when Im at work and then leave a little door handle hanger thing for you to sign so they can be allowed to leave it the next day. 

At some point I had a spark of brilliance where I kept one of those door handle hangers and signed it without putting a date and just leave it on tge door when I expect them to show up so I don’t have to wait another day for them to come back 

9 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Anything that has actually arrived to my house via a DHL truck has needed to be signed for. Which is a pain in the ass for me personally. They always show up when Im at work and then leave a little door handle hanger thing for you to sign so they can be allowed to leave it the next day. 

At some point I had a spark of brilliance where I kept one of those door handle hangers and signed it without putting a date and just leave it on tge door when I expect them to show up so I don’t have to wait another day for them to come back 

I don't recall ever getting a direct DHL delivery - previously they have always just left stuff in my mailbox (unless it was big then on my doorstep). Fortunately I am home most of the time (if they knock).   The tracking with DHL is somewhat imprecise - which is probably why I don't like them all that well.

9 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

It makes you wonder how long the licenses that Limited Run Games secures actually last (on average).

I mean often times they don't have one at all, and in some instances the releases by other publishers end up more complete or superior in some fashion. I think LRG is a cool thing a lot of times, but I think it's pretty clear they keep over reaching in an effort to expand their business, and it kind of spits in the face of the type of people who got into their original business model in many ways.

Thankfully they do seem to back off at times and do alright, but they still screw up from time to time. I think the recent Demon's Tilt game has an exclusive slipcover from them but it released elsewhere, which was made clear.

9 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

I mean often times they don't have one at all, and in some instances the releases by other publishers end up more complete or superior in some fashion. I think LRG is a cool thing a lot of times, but I think it's pretty clear they keep over reaching in an effort to expand their business, and it kind of spits in the face of the type of people who got into their original business model in many ways.

Thankfully they do seem to back off at times and do alright, but they still screw up from time to time. I think the recent Demon's Tilt game has an exclusive slipcover from them but it released elsewhere, which was made clear.

Unless they do something in the public domain they would be at risk for lawsuits which they would have no defense against.  I am guessing that they have agreements to have exclusive rights* for a set length of time. They may do the bonus stuff on the CEs which they would keep rights to.  But someone else could then produce their own CE versions.

Fangamer had for awhile sold just the extras for Thimbleweed Park (Limited Run's first CE release) long after Limited Run sold out of that title - which tells me Limited Run had likely subcontracted with FanGamer to make a set number of the extras.

With Brigandine there was an Asian CE, a European CE and a NA CE (Limited Run's) so I am guessing that they only had an NA license for that one.

Edited by Tabonga

35 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

It makes you wonder how long the licenses that Limited Run Games secures actually last (on average).

What licenses do you speak of? I'm really curious as to where you got the idea that LRG has any sort of licenses or exclusivity. They have stated from day 1 that they do not have any such thing. They do limited runs of games, they do not do exclusivity deals. They are not Strictly Limited Games or any other publisher that claims to do such things. There have been many instances in the past of LRG releases getting released by other publishers and getting standard retail releases, and LRG has admitted that they have no advance notice of this, that the game studios are not obligated to even disclose whether this will happen, etc. Remember Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid? Streets of Rage 4? etc. etc. There was never any licenses exclusivity. 

Edited by MiamiSlice

5 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

What licenses do you speak of? I'm really curious as to where you got the idea that LRG has any sort of licenses or exclusivity. They have stated from day 1 that they do not have any such thing. They do limited runs of games, they do not do exclusivity deals. They are not Strictly Limited Games or any other publisher that claims to do such things. There have been many instances in the past of LRG releases getting released by other publishers and getting standard retail releases, and LRG has admitted that they have no advance notice of this, that the game studios are not obligated to even disclose whether this will happen, etc. Remember Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid? Streets of Rage 4? etc. etc. There was never any licenses. 

I can't imagine that there are no copyrights on switch games - so at the very least they have to pay some fees - which would be negotiated with those that do. One of the reasons TImewalk folded way back when.

Edited by Tabonga

2 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I can't imagine that there are no copyrights on switch games - so at the very least they have to pay some fees - which would be negotiated with those that do. 

My friend you are mixing completely different concepts here. Copyright is different from IP which is different from licensing which is different from exclusivity deals. They have a publishing contract with the studio that makes the game. They produce artwork that goes into the cover art and the bonus items, they own that. But they do not own the game. The copyright and IP of the game stays with the studio. Any other publisher can come along and do their own contract with the studio to release the game with different cover art, bonus items, etc. 

Likewise the soundtrack is probably shared copyright between the game studio and the music producer(s), and so on. 

Edited by MiamiSlice

11 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Unless they do something in the public domain they would be at risk for lawsuits which they would have no defense against.

If they did something in the public domain they'd be sued. They don't own the intellectual property for these games. They have to do licenses with the studios to do their physical runs. And those licenses are not exclusive

(I apologize for saying earlier that they do not have licenses. They do. They do not have exclusivity deals which is a very different thing.)

I am guessing that they have agreements to have exclusive rights* for a set length of time.

I wonder how many other collectors believe this! It's a totally fair assumption to make, but they have said in the past they do not do this!

Fangamer had for awhile sold just the extras for Thimbleweed Park (Limited Run's first CE release) long after Limited Run sold out of that title - which tells me Limited Run had likely subcontracted with FanGamer to make a set number of the extras.

I think they had a partnership where Limited Run ordered the physical carts but Fangamer made the CE contents. So Fangamer ended up with the extras. 

With Brigandine there was an Asian CE, a European CE and a NA CE (Limited Run's) so I am guessing that they only had an NA license for that one.

Actually, they were the only publisher that wanted to print it in NA. That's the only reason that they had the only NA release. These are niche games and there isn't much business value in printing something if LRG is already going to print it in the same region. That is all. 

2 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

My friend you are mixing completely different concepts here. Copyright is different from IP which is different from licensing which is different from exclusivity deals. They have a publishing contract with the studio that makes the game. They produce artwork that goes into the cover art and the bonus items, they own that. But they do not own the game. The copyright and IP of the game stays with the studio. Any other publisher can come along and do their own contract with the studio to release the game with different cover art, bonus items, etc. 

Likewise the soundtrack is probably shared copyright between the game studio and the music producer(s), and so on. 

I was using the term copyright in a more generic sense.  But we will just use "rights" to cover the whole kit and kaboodle. 

On one hand you stated that LRG has no licensing agreements yet now they do. Which is it?  

And part of licensing agreements would possibly include exclusivity rights of whatever duration.

1 minute ago, Tabonga said:

I was using the term copyright in a more generic sense.  But we will just use "rights" to cover the whole kit and kaboodle. 

On one hand you stated that LRG has no licensing agreements yet now they do. Which is it?  

And part of licensing agreements would possibly include exclusivity rights of whatever duration.

Yeah I was making mistakes in my own explanation. They have licensing agreements for everything. None of those licensing deals have exclusivity rights. That's what I was trying to explain. Any LRG game can be licensed to be printed by anyone else. That's how it has always been.

Edited by MiamiSlice

2 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

I wonder how many other collectors believe this! It's a totally fair assumption to make, but they have said in the past they do not do this!

I think they had a partnership where Limited Run ordered the physical carts but Fangamer made the CE contents. So Fangamer ended up with the extras. 

I wouldn't put a lot of trust in much of what LRG  says. ^___^

Isn't that pretty much what I  said in my post?

2 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I wouldn't put a lot of trust in much of what LRG  says. ^___^

Isn't that pretty much what I  said in my post?

If LRG said something affirmative I could see being skeptical about it. But if LRG said "we don't have exclusivity deals, we are not that kind of limited print publisher" you would assume, what? You would be so skeptical to say "I don't know LRG! Sounds fishy! I think you do have exclusivity deals and you are being coy about it!" Really? What would be the angle there? 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

If LRG said something affirmative I could see being skeptical about it. But if LRG said "we don't have exclusivity deals, we are not that kind of limited print publisher" you would assume, what? You would be so skeptical to say "I don't know LRG! Sounds fishy! I think you do have exclusivity deals and you are being coy about it!" Really? What would be the angle there? 

I suspect they would say whatever suits them - I really don't trust them simply because of their inabliity to deliver a product in a reasonable amount of time -  just look at Super Rare Games in that tegard,

"Isn't that pretty much what I  said in my post?"  - That was in response to your point about the Thimbleweed  Park materials.

Edited by Tabonga

12 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

LMAOOOO Celeste is getting a retail release from Fangamer. ROFL LOL LMAOOOOO

I don't understand why that is funny?

Isn't it just a good thing?

I mean aside from the fact that Fangamer is the worst company to import from, but it's still better than nothing.

Edited by Sumez