IGNORED

The Ultimate Game Controller?

T-Pac

On 3/2/2022 at 1:29 PM, MegaMan52 said:

wavebirdcontroller.jpg.0c6a7894744699503243ff13c5f267cf.jpg

The Wavebird deserves respect for being a first-party wireless Controller released as early as 2002. Wireless Controllers are standard now, but Nintendo was ahead of the game in the early 2000's.

I LOVED the WaveBird, thing was so comfortable. One of my faves!

I have a soft spot for the classic Saturn controller, if I'm honest:

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Right there with you, hate it

2 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Same. One of the worst. 

I legit don’t shame people for their opinions but this isn’T a super-odd controller, nor do I care in the slightest to have a counter opinion, but this is specifically why I can’t understand the hate. It feels so intuitive and ergonomic to me. I get people have different-shaped hands and all but I have no clue why this controller is so polarizing. I just don’t see or feel the problem. I’m curious why you guys hate it so much, specifically.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Van Jackson said:

I LOVED the WaveBird, thing was so comfortable. One of my faves!

I have a soft spot for the classic Saturn controller, if I'm honest:

spacer.png

I've got to try an original Saturn.

I've got a wireless one and it just feels, okay. For the this new modern Saturn controller, my issue is the weight. It doesn't feel solid like the nice 8-bitdo Sega wireless controller. Curious if the original Saturn has a better weight to it. (I also kind of don't like the sound it makes when I press the buttons) Again, the modern one isn't a bad controller I'm being nitpicky. 

Tough to pick one to rule them all...

Saturn Model 2 Controller is probably the best for fighting games (outside of an arcade stick)

Xbox 360/One is the most comfortable, especially for FPS (but the d-pad is butt)

PS5 DualSense is quite comfortable too and the haptic feedback/microphone can really add to the immersion in my experience

And I may be one of the 7 people in the world that actually likes the N64 controller. Maybe its nostalgia, but I can still pick it up and very comfortably play my favorite games any day of the week.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, RH said:

I legit don’t shame people for their opinions but this isn’T a super-odd controller, nor do I care in the slightest to have a counter opinion, but this is specifically why I can’t understand the hate. It feels so intuitive and ergonomic to me. I get people have different-shaped hands and all but I have no clue why this controller is so polarizing. I just don’t see or feel the problem. I’m curious why you guys hate it so much, specifically.

Listing out my grievances:

The amount of travel in the triggers, way to much travel for my liking. Though Im not super into analog style triggers to begin with.

the tiny, useless dpad 

the asymmetrical-ness of having one Z button

The C nub, should have just had the same stick as the other one. 

The angle that A and B are on. Like the NES dogbone controller, its the wrong angle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, RH said:

Thats cool. For me, it feels cheap, the button layout is off and it looks messed up. Ever heard of a toy called bop it? Reminds me of that. Almost every button press feels different. Like, someone modded their personal preference buttons onto it, and now everyone has to suffer. 

That being said, wavebird is the same, but feels much better, in terms of not being cheap. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Thats cool. For me, it feels cheap, the button layout is off and it looks messed up. Ever heard of a toy called bop it? Reminds me of that. Almost every button press feels different. Like, someone modded their personal preference buttons onto it, and now everyone has to suffer. 

That being said, wavebird is the same, but feels much better, in terms of not being cheap. 

I guess I could see that, but I’d also be one of the people that falls in the camp of appreciating the overall layout. My GC didn’t get much use but one game I played a lot was THPS3 and I felt the layout was perfect for it. Depending on the mappings and the games you played, I suppose I could see your point.

• Agree 1

I forgot about the GC controller, which is also remarkably comfortable. My main gripe with it is the spacing between B and X. I get the design idea, with A being the primary action button and the others being support. This concept is great for menu based games and action/puzzlers. Serious fighting games outside of Smash, not so much. Nailing a button combo between X and B consistently is near impossible, especially compared to the 360 controller where the buttons are right next to each other.

And that d-pad though...

Granted the GC is cram full of games I would rather play than 360 games, but we aren't judging system libraries here, just the controllers!

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 5:01 PM, JamesRobot said:

@Richardhead Xbox Nyko Air Flo is the GOAT.

Buttons.jpg

I appreciate that this controller maintains the 6button layout, in at least some capacity. I hate that the S controller turns black/white into useless buttons floating out in no-man's-land. They were much better placed on the duke. Frankly, the duke layout is fantastic. Most people just don't know that because the duke is unusable for anyone but adult men, and even then some restrictions apply.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

It's gotta be the current Xbox controller for me. I love the asymmetrical analog sticks, the shape of the triggers, and the responsiveness of the bumpers. Having my left thumb on the analog stick and right thumb on the face buttons keeps the controller really balanced for the non-FPS games and the lower right analog stick just feels perfect for FPS games. If we allow the Elite controller into the competition, then that really lays the question to rest.

I think the Dualshock 4 was Sony's best controller, although still nowhere near as good as the Xbox controller. The symmetrical analog sticks just feel awkward to me (probably because it feels unbalanced for games that primarily utilize the face buttons) and I never liked the shape or responsiveness of the L2/R2 triggers. The Dualsense doubles down on everything bad about PS controllers: bigger touch pad, tough to reach PS button, long grips, and shitty battery life. I think Nintendo's Switch Pro Controller is actually a bit better than Sony's controllers. There are also some great third party ones out there, but I haven't tried many of them.

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, koifish said:

I appreciate that this controller maintains the 6button layout, in at least some capacity. I hate that the S controller turns black/white into useless buttons floating out in no-man's-land. They were much better placed on the duke. Frankly, the duke layout is fantastic. Most people just don't know that because the duke is unusable for anyone but adult men, and even then some restrictions apply.

Yeah, layout isn't quite perfect on the Airflo.  But no other controller keeps your hands cool and dry during intense sessions of Backyard Wrestling or Fight Night with constant airflow from its integrated fan.  Ah, so refreshing.  🌬

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 3:56 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Mouse + keyboard

Or

The Xbox 360/Switch Pro design.

Pretty much this. Control layout is so important to the kind of game being played, so there's obviously no "universal solution" but when it comes to basic control schemes for most modern action/adventure games, especially those in 3rd-person, something between the Xbox and Switch Pro controller designs is pretty great. I prefer the analog sticks, surface texture and responsive trigger buttons of the Xbox Series X/S but I also prefer the sharper, less-clicky D-pad, larger, less-convex face buttons and general grip ergonomics of the Switch Pro. A marriage of those two form-factors would be perfection. If I had to just choose one though, the Switch Pro Controller wins out by just a hair for having better overall comfort, especially where the index fingers wrap around the top at the shoulder buttons and how the middle fingers rest across the back.

For most 1st-person games, as well as any strategy-type game or game with lots of menu and inventory management (like many RPGs), there's no replacement for the precision of the mouse and the unequalled flexibility of the keyboard. I understand that there is a port of Sid Meier's Civilization 6 on consoles...and I imagine that trying to play such a game using a controller must feel like absolute madness. Also, don't ask me to play a first-person-shooter with a controller. Just don't do it. Dreadful.

Fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat also really demand to be played with an arcade-style joystick set up. Anything else just doesn't quite work.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

That would be like asking what is the ultimate wrench or the ultimate socket or the ultimate hammer or ultimate saw or whatnot.  In all those cases and in the case of the controller, the answer is the one best suited for the job.  For example I use a PS1 controller and adapter on my GC to play Game Boy Player so my thumb can be at a comfortable NW position with tip of thumb on SQUARE (used for GBA's B button) and X (used for GBA's A button)...just as you'd use this same position on the SNES's Y and B buttons (or in Super Metroid's case, X and A buttons).

Right tool for the right job, right job for the right tool...that's how it goes.

• Like 1