IGNORED

The Ultimate Game Controller?

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

Different people perform best with different controllers, but this is largely the result of ingrained familiarity after frequent, extended use.

But if we were to disregard baked-in familiarity and look at it scientifically (in terms of ergonomics, responsiveness, adaptation, intuitiveness, etc.), what would the ultimate controller be?

(And as much as I'd love a definitive answer, the "ultimate controller" would vary by game-genre, so feel free to specify in that sense).

-CasualCart

370600297_UltimateController.jpg.4a9e0adc178a0b476c547969a9a6d9a4.jpg

• Like 1

Honestly I think the xbox got it about perfect in terms of configuration/button layout.  Which is probably why nintendo moved to a the same layout with the pro controller. Everything makes sense in terms of location. When it comes to the ergonomics itself, like how thick the handles are, grip texture, etc. Thats all going to be completely dependent on the individual and their hands. 

If I ever get to try an 8bitdo Pro I may change my mind since it seems to be well likedand has a Playstation style configuration 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Controller wise I think the 360 controller started the new standard of a good feeling controller and the Xbox X controller refined it to where I feel it is the best controller around. The Swith Pro controller comes in a close second but that's because they copied the 360.

Console arcade sticks, hands down goes to the Saturn HSS-0130 but that's pretty hard to beat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

XBOX Elite Series 2. You can add/remove paddles (extra buttons), adjust trigger stops, customize buttons. has 3 different layouts you can save, battery life is great... comes in a very nice case which doubles as a charger when plugged in.

The biggest issue with it is, according to most people is that it just doesn't hold up as far as the quality is concerned. My controller had an issue early on in which the A button was sticking, so I couldn't double press A when I needed to and I gave it a couple of weeks to "break in" the controller. Thankfully it fixed itself. Other than that, just a minor issue with a trigger stop breaking as I dropped my controller, but a little gorilla glue fixed it, minor issue but I can see the quality concerns others have.

It is definitely the best controller I've ever had, but I think at near $200 it better be. I may have gotten lucky with the quality build on mine as it's still running strong 1.5 years later. I have some friends that have returned theirs at least three times in the time I've owned mine. I didn't buy a warranty, but most people I know that have purchased this controller have.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

For just general 3D action games or something, the Xbox controllers are super ergonomic. I like the NES brick and all, but I mean, it's a rectangle that makes you hold your thumb sideways to hit both buttons. It's too bad Sony's controller design is stifled by the decision to tack on analog sticks in 1997 as if just kind of plopping them in the empty space below an SNES pad is still the best place for them 25 years later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My personal favourite is the OG XBOX S controller, as I am not a huge fan of shoulder bumpers. I actually prefer the little ancillary black and white buttons on the OG S, as opposed to RB and LB on the 360.

However, I will say the 360 is probably the best overall, even if it isn't my favourite!

• Like 1

I have always preferred the PlayStation line of controllers above anything else. The Xbox layout just never felt quite right for me, and consequently neither do the Wii U or Switch controllers. I guess it probably just has to do with the fact that I've spent way, way more time with PS controllers.

• Like 1

I have no idea what the most ergonomic fung Shui controller would be.  
I will say that my favorite is probably the snes  controller.  It’s a good one.  
I’d like to give the original PSX controllers some love too.  It’s like they glued handles on a snes controller.  Kind of.  

• Like 2

I know I'm in the minority, but I despise the GameCube controller.

As far as good controllers go, I won't repeat any of the obvious ones that have already been talked about.  What I will add is a controller that rarely gets mentioned but is way more comfortable than most people realize.

The PS1 Dual Analogue controller (not the Dual Shock) is my personal favorite.  When this controller was first released, it was made larger then the original PS1 controller which I always thought was extremely comfortable.  About six months after release, Sony started offering the rumble feature and renamed it to Dual Shock.  However, when they switched over to this model, they went back to the smaller controller configuration which was nearly identical to the original (they kept the larger L2/R2 buttons from the Dual Analogue.  This smaller size became standard and was kept through the PS2 and PS3.  To this day, I still believe the larger Dual Analogue is much more comfortable and I still use mine to this day.

The Dual Analogue controller (the middle controller) is somewhat uncommon since it was replaced on the Dual Shock so quickly.  Here is a size comparison.  Interesting fact:  The Dual Analogue is the only controller that can replicate the PS1 dual flight stick.  This is done by hitting the mode button until the LED becomes green.  This feature was dropped on the Dual Shock.

iy8cj4lx0k0fzmg6g.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

iy8cj4lx0k0fzmg6g.jpg

I've never picked up a dual analog controller, but I've always wanted on . I admit, that looks comfortable.  Specifically, part of why I like the GC controller is the shape of the handles.  Longer ones like this look funny, but IMHO it does make a better grip.  It just makes sense to me that if you're going to hold something in your hand, kind of like a bar, it should extend to the end of your grip.  Most controllers, for larger/adult hands, end at about the middle, or 3/4ths of the way down your palm.  That controller looks like when you hold it, the 99% of us will have something that extends fully across our hands.  I like that.  That feels much more ergonomic.

Another controller I liked, though I wouldn't call it perfect was the Virtual Boy controller.  I'm not being different, but it solved that problem as well.  The flaired-out nature of this control is probably a bit more ergonomic then either the GC or the VB controllers, so yes, I could see this being my "favorite", if I ever even got to try playing with one.

• Like 1