IGNORED

Game Debate #87: Fallout 3

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I remember all the hype surrounding FO3 before release and I bought it day 1. Stepping out of the vault for the first time into the blinding light of the wasteland is one of the few gaming moments that have stayed with me over the years so for that reason, it will always be a special game for me. That being said, playing today on X360 or PS3 sounds awful, but playing it on PC with ungraded textures, quality of life updates, and bug fixes, would still make it enjoyable.

I literally just beat this game yesterday for the first time, spent a good 50 plus hours with it.

Very good game, overall, loads of freedom to play the way you want, decent amount of variety in things to do, and lots of neat overlapping gameplay mechanics and systems that build to a satisfying whole.

I knocked a couple of points and gave it an 8 because I think some of the stuff in the game is a little under-baked, which isn't surprising given how much is here, and it can be a little slow at times. Quite often you are just ransacking the same looking deserted buildings and rooms over and over and visually the game can get quite monotonous.

Oh, and if any one of you fuckers dare call this game an FPS... 😅

• Like 1

8/10. I wasn't a huge fan of the idea of turning Fallout into an FPS but it's still super good. I didn't waste time for dozens of hours like a TES game though. I did the main story and some side stuff and had my fill. Which is great, because you know, I don't need every game to be a neverending playground of little fetch quests and whatever.

On 2/3/2022 at 4:27 PM, TDIRunner said:

I played Fallout 4 for a total of about 15 minutes that that represents my entire experience with the Fallout franchise.  

I had the same experience, but after playing through and loving Fallout 3.  I quickly learned that Fallout 4 wasn't its precessor, despite pretending really, really, really hard, and there were just some stupidities (still being overencumbered despite gaining a massive strength boost while wearing power armor because I didn't put the items in my inventory into the power armor, for instance) that I just couldn't tolerate and refused to put up with.  Basically removing VATS mode while converting it to the "slow mo" effect while using a bow in Skyrim and pretending that's totally not what they did stretched things to the breaking point for me, and all the other little stupid, BS things they did (see parenthesis above for one) just shattered my tolerance for the game.  Kind of sorry I spent when I did on the CE, but still like having the "real life" Pipboy.  At least with all the WATA madness going on, I know that my factory sealed collector's edition guide ought to be worth some bank in a few years.

• Like 1

I've played almost all the games in the franchise (not Fallout 99 garbage cash grab) but FO3 is probably my favorite. That said I'm not the biggest fan of the post apocalyptic setting, just in general. I love what they did with the games when they changed it to play more like an Elder Scrolls game. I never got into the old point and click Fallouts. Anyway FO3 is an excellent game, just not my preferred setting in a game, so it just barely misses a 9 so I gait 8/10. Easy to recommend to anyone interested in the series.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My rating is highly subjective. It has to do with the fact that I got my start in the series with the original Fallout and then gobbled up Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics in pretty rapid succession.

When Fallout 3 came around, I just never took to the shift to a 3D perspective. I bought a sale copy for the 360 and really, really tried to play it but it just never felt right. There's something about navigating through a three-dimensional space that is fundamentally different than two dimensions, especially in an RPG or adventure game. I thought the graphics and colors were pretty unappealing and the lack of an auto-run feature combined with all the overworld traveling just sapped my enthusiasm.

So yeah, me and the 3D Fallout games never got along. I'll still go back and replay Fallout 1 & 2 from time to time and it's still such a treat. But Fallout 3 and onward just feel like a chore to play.

6/10 for the ambitious attempt and the sheer fact that at least it's Fallout...but in all honesty, I doubt I'll ever even boot up the game again.

Edited by Webhead123

• 7 months later...

8/10

I played this game at an interesting time.  I was a late adopter to the 360/PS3 in general, and I think that in my head, I was just thinking I would drift away from video games, but a handful of games I played on the 360 really pulled me in and this was one of them.  I think I even played it before Oblivion.  it is a really great game, and it was the first time I experienced a real sense of vastly different ways to play.  You could talk to your friend about this game, and they'd have totally different stories about how they played.  

I remember describing to my friend how I had cleared the Super-Duper Mart.  This guy had played the game more than 30 hours and his question back to me was "What's that? Never heard of it."  Similarly, he started describing to me how he had almost filled his house with stuff, and I was like "What house?  How do you get a house?"

It really did feel like you were genuinely role playing and could do almost anything you wanted.