IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

52 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

The Sega train keeps on rolling. Really happy with the prices on a lot of this stuff. People (non-VGSers, that is) definitely don't know their Sega like they know their Nintendo.

Ac6jzqP.jpg

eBWQNLM.jpg

EsVJH4d.jpg?1

4b6aQ2L.jpg

I think I know what you mean. There is a vintage Transformers collector who knew a lot about those, but knew nothing when it came to TakaraTomy's revival of their Generation One continuity. When it comes to collectors, it can be quite maddening. But when it comes to sellers, it depends on who they followed before they take an offer.

In all cases... I love seeing that Y's in your collection. And I heard some are petitioning for a third Lunar game. 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

In all cases... I love seeing that Y's in your collection. And I heard some are petitioning for a third Lunar game. 🙂

Those SMS games sure are sweet! Lunar was amazing, but part of what made it amazing was Working Designs. They put so much time into the localization, as well as the design of everything from the discs to the manual... SIGH. I miss them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

The Sega train keeps on rolling. Really happy with the prices on a lot of this stuff. People (non-VGSers, that is) definitely don't know their Sega like they know their Nintendo.

Crime Patrol and Fatal Fury took me a long time to even find for sale. It looks like Crime Patrol is all over Ebay right now, but Fatal Fury is still hot stuff.

6 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

I think I know what you mean. There is a vintage Transformers collector who knew a lot about those, but knew nothing when it came to TakaraTomy's revival of their Generation One continuity. When it comes to collectors, it can be quite maddening. But when it comes to sellers, it depends on who they followed before they take an offer.

Thanks! I've only played Lunar: SSC on PS, but it's one of my favorite RPGs there. Still haven't played Eternal Blue, but I will someday (probably when I'm retired and my kids are grown/no longer talk to me haha.)

6 hours ago, avatar! said:

Those SMS games sure are sweet! Lunar was amazing, but part of what made it amazing was Working Designs. They put so much time into the localization, as well as the design of everything from the discs to the manual... SIGH. I miss them.

Thanks! Agreed. I've only played SSC, but the translation there is fantastic. I haven't played any of WD's other games, but that would be a fun (and expensive) catalog to play through.

6 hours ago, Shmup said:

Except for Saturn. It is brutal collecting for that system. Definitely not good for the wallet haha.

I want to go after Saturn someday, but I'm terrified thinking about how prices are just going to keep increasing. Need to work on some real life purchases for the house before I even look at them.

6 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Crime Patrol and Fatal Fury took me a long time to even find for sale. It looks like Crime Patrol is all over Ebay right now, but Fatal Fury is still hot stuff.

Yeah, I wasn't very familiar with either game before this year, but I saw an opportunity for Fatal Fury and jumped. It looks like it doesn't come up much at all and the price is inflating quickly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jicsan said:

Oooo!  What disc variant did you get on Lunar?

I'm not sure how the discs are named among hardcore collectors, but here is a pic:

image.png.52bc66c6f1cac78e7e083d8af634e4aa.png

I'm a huge fan of NES box variants, but I'm actively avoiding learning about other system variants to save myself some heartache. I do know that there are 7 variants for this one and there is a BIN that includes all seven for a measly $2000. Must. Resist. Temptation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Thanks! I've only played Lunar: SSC on PS, but it's one of my favorite RPGs there. Still haven't played Eternal Blue, but I will someday (probably when I'm retired and my kids are grown/no longer talk to me haha.)

Thanks! Agreed. I've only played SSC, but the translation there is fantastic. I haven't played any of WD's other games, but that would be a fun (and expensive) catalog to play through.

The PS1 Lunar and Eternal Blue are some of the best JRPGs ever made. If they were ported for the Switch (or PS4, etc) I would instantly purchase! Of course, who knows, all the Working Designs code might be lost... and it all makes me sad. But, good memories so there's that 🙂

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

but here is a pic:

That's the same as mine, I pretty sure it's the first print, but also the most common version.  @Tabonga has all the disc versions /jealous.

After finding out that there were different versions, I convinced myself that I would be happy with just the one.  I mean if we were talking about a $10 game, sure I'd own all 7, but... oh well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jicsan said:

That's the same as mine, I pretty sure it's the first print, but also the most common version.  @Tabonga has all the disc versions /jealous.

After finding out that there were different versions, I convinced myself that I would be happy with just the one.  I mean if we were talking about a $10 game, sure I'd own all 7, but... oh well.

Working Designs would never release production figures.  Here is a pic of all 7:

1734545761_download(8).jpeg.9710f94c779206f21c5b4f59843c7441.jpeg

Back in the day the first one (the first two are the same picture (upper left)  - one extends into the disc all the way) was what we saw until a friend managed a gamestore saw one of the others.  I don't  really know if they were released by picture or maybe different pictures in different regions.  He started saving the different ones for me and I got the first 6 that way.  The seventh (lower right) is by far the rarest. I have 2 of them - both buy it nows on ebay for $40 each.  

Vay is also a good Working Designs Game on Sega CD - only one style disc but it did come with a paper map (the only US Sega CD to do so IIRC).

Dragon Force (Saturn) also came in 4 variants:

1456156555_T-12703H_2Sega-Saturn-Photo-2-Dragon-Force-USA.jpg.42329b25b648f6b30e55aa9a8b0091f4.jpg

I also got those via the used game stores back in the day.

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

2 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Working Designs would never release production figures.  Here is a pic of all 7:

Back in the day the first one (the first two are the same picture (upper left)  - one extends into the disc all the way) was what we saw until a friend managed a gamestore saw one of the others.  I don't  really know if they were released by picture or maybe different pictures in different regions.  He started saving the different ones for me and I got the first 6 that way.  The seventh (lower right) is by far the rarest. I have 2 of them - both buy it nows on ebay for $40 each.  

Vay is also a good Working Designs Game on Sega CD - only one style disc but it did come with a paper map (the only US Sega CD to do so IIRC).

1456156555_T-12703H_2Sega-Saturn-Photo-2-Dragon-Force-USA.jpg.42329b25b648f6b30e55aa9a8b0091f4.jpg

Those Dragon Force discs are badass. Apparently there are several different variations of the instruction book and back art for Lunar as well. I have the least fancy, non-foil version, but I will probably try to get at least one of the foil ones and limit my variant hunting.

Yesterday I mentioned I had a nice little PC find.

I came across these for $2 each, still have a previous $1 sticker on them which was amusing.  Both discs are spotless, everything intact in excellent shape which surprised me.

Lode Runner is DOS so I intend to DOSBOX that and see how it goes, the other is a collectors item for big box fans, I can't run it from what I've read so far unfortunately.  They do get not crazy money but far more than what i put into it so that's a nice end at least.

PC-LR-DrB.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Oh wow, thanks for posting these! That's really cool; I thought the disc variants were exclusive to Magic Knight Rayearth. I just went and checked and it seems I have the Lunar disc on the bottom left and the Dragon Force on the top right (damn, that bottom right version with the dragon is the coolest though) I feel like I learn something new every time I go into a thread around here, lol. Well, just like the NA days I suppose when I think about it.