IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

So the seals changed in this order: Circle Seal, then Trade Mark Seal (  ), the Registered Trade Mark Seal ( ® ).

As the law changed to allow for better trademarking rights over the few transitional years Nintendo upgraded their seal with marks as well.  Most original games had all three in this order. But the timing of the seal change was based sometimes on the legality within the local production areas and remaining stock. These were unrelated to the 5 screw and three screw clam shells but most of the time the 5 screw clam shells ran out way before the seal change.

So there was a period that Donkey Kong was produced with both the trademark and registered seal so both are legit.

Newer games received only the Trademark and Registered seal and no circle seal version. The very latest games (92 or 93 on) only received a registered trademark seal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormarov.45 said:

So the seals changed in this order: Circle Seal, then Trade Mark Seal (  ), the Registered Trade Mark Seal ( ® ).

As the law changed to allow for better trademarking rights over the few transitional years Nintendo upgraded their seal with marks as well.  Most original games had all three in this order. But the timing of the seal change was based sometimes on the legality within the local production areas and remaining stock. These were unrelated to the 5 screw and three screw clam shells but most of the time the 5 screw clam shells ran out way before the seal change.

So there was a period that Donkey Kong was produced with both the trademark and registered seal so both are legit.

Newer games received only the Trademark and Registered seal and no circle seal version. The very latest games (92 or 93 on) only received a registered trademark seal.

I understand the progression, but games do not always have all the variants. Like you could have a game that was mostly circle seal and then stopped production until a re-release after they were only using the Oval Seal R.

That is why we were curious to poll the population to see if many other people had that 3 screw DK variant with the TM or if it was perhaps a refurb pieced together from perhaps someone sending in a broken cartridge etc.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Divingninja said:

I understand the progression, but games do not always have all the variants. Like you could have a game that was mostly circle seal and then stopped production until a re-release after they were only using the Oval Seal R.

That is why we were curious to poll the population to see if many other people had that 3 screw DK variant with the TM or if it was perhaps a refurb pieced together from perhaps someone sending in a broken cartridge etc.

Nicely put

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Divingninja said:

Also, some mismatch variants exist.

No oval seal Contra or World Games box, but plenty of cartridges.

2 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Also, some mismatch variants exist.

No oval seal Contra or World Games box, but plenty of cartridges.

That parts just odd to me. The konami 5 screw refurbs make some sense, but the seals not matching is just weird. I'm guessing that's just the smallest overlap where factories switched fully over to those carts and then the box production side of things was still working with the old stuff? Or maybe they overproduced boxes in the beginning 🤔

1 hour ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

That parts just odd to me. The konami 5 screw refurbs make some sense, but the seals not matching is just weird. I'm guessing that's just the smallest overlap where factories switched fully over to those carts and then the box production side of things was still working with the old stuff? Or maybe they overproduced boxes in the beginning 🤔

There’s tons of them though, even some black boxes like Balloon Fight.

They just straight up didnt change the seal on a ton of games.

Another example is California Games...TM oval seal box, but common (R) seal cart

My dk3 has an “r”.

I also figured I would take a picture of the small variant pile I have. Always looking for more if there’s spares laying around let me know. My second silent service is up for trade as well.

Added pictures of my Trojan with the rear upside down label for it to be listed by OP.

01258B66-304D-4442-8115-4F68842EC272.jpeg

BBDAD229-38CF-4445-BD0E-608AB9D2DA26.jpeg

368336A6-CBE5-402E-8FD2-08780C7FA6B7.jpeg

E92635FF-054A-431C-8569-6EAAE1E76D21.jpeg

3F6E3F38-9DF2-47F4-983D-94121BCAE336.jpeg

2AFA4B1C-45C6-4436-8594-D3755861602B.jpeg

Edited by Goodvibes
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I haven't seen anyone post this one yet.  Here is the Rad Racer Daytime Variant.

For this version of Rad Racer, the rare part of this variant isn't the cartridge, (although it is a 5 screw variant).  This is the first printing of Rad Racer and the back of the box had all daytime scenes from the game, (all from the same race course).  Also the user manual has the black box style, all black cover with stars and a simple title.  

Future version of this game included the more snappy night scenes from other courses in the game and a silver manual cover instead of black.

Front.thumb.jpg.939e4c9a730c9b0fe77637701f352eb9.jpgBack.thumb.jpg.81c1f13e66997813678dbbff427e6260.jpgContents.thumb.jpg.b318f0a756827ecc28ed5579b85339cd.jpg

4 sides.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stormarov.45 said:

You know, I haven't seen anyone post this one yet.  Here is the Rad Racer Daytime Variant.

For this version of Rad Racer, the rare part of this variant isn't the cartridge, (although it is a 5 screw variant).  This is the first printing of Rad Racer and the back of the box had all daytime scenes from the game, (all from the same race course).  Also the user manual has the black box style, all black cover with stars and a simple title.  

Future version of this game included the more snappy night scenes from other courses in the game and a silver manual cover instead of black.

I think I've got some pics of this in the "what's new in your collection" thread from some time last year. This is a fun "variant" (actually first print, as you mentioned) just because the screenshots are so ridiculous. It looks like it's a game about flying and/or rolling cars.

I thought I'd submit this with a brief commentary:  NA (Can) 3-Screw REV-A SOCCER

For a little comparison I've noticed that a 3-Screw (Can) Gyromite is considerably more rare than than a 5-Screw but really not too hard to come by compared to a (U.S.) 3-Screw Gyromite.

I've also noticed that a 3-Screw Volleyball is pretty rare but all in all not too difficult to lay hands on, (U.S. or Can)

In this case, I've never seen a U.S. release 3-Screw Soccer.  As far as I'm aware there aren't any known to exist.  

I've only seen this one once before.

3-Screw Rev-A Soccer.png

3-Screw Rev-A Soccer (Back).png

3-Screw REV-A Soccer (bottom).png

Edited by PII
Add Pic.

I think I have some doubles from over the years that I'd love to trade for variants I don't have.

• Donkey Kong Jr. (3 Screw)
  • TMNT (5 Screw)
  • Track and Field II (5 Screw)

Looking for the following. No joke, I think this is all I'm missing for an "complete" set:

• Adventures of Bayou Billy (5 Screw)
  • Base Wars (5 Screw)
  • Castlevania II (5 Screw)
  • Castlevania III (5 Screw)
  • Defender of the Crown (5 Screw)
  • Jackal (5 Screw)
  • Mission Impossible (5 Screw)
  • Q*Bert (5 Screw)
  • R.C. Pro Am (5 Screw)
  • Rollergames (5 Screw)
  • Skate or Die (5 Screw)
  • Snake's Revenge (5 Screw)
  • Stadium Events (5 Screw) LOL
  • Tiny Toon Adventures (5 Screw)
  • Top Gun 2: The Second Mission (5 Screw)
Edited by Ferris Bueller

7 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I think I have some doubles from over the years that I'd love to trade for variants I don't have.

• TMNT (5 Screw)

Looking for the following. No joke, I think this is all I'm missing for an "complete" set:

• Base Wars (5 Screw)
  • Jackal (5 Screw)
  • Q*Bert (5 Screw)
  • R.C. Pro Am (5 Screw)
  • Rollergames (5 Screw)
  • Skate or Die (5 Screw)

I need that DK Jr 3 screw please. 🙂

23 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

• TMNT (5 Screw)

• Base Wars (5 Screw)
  • Jackal (5 Screw)
  • Q*Bert (5 Screw)
  • R.C. Pro Am (5 Screw)
  • Rollergames (5 Screw)
  • Skate or Die (5 Screw)

Gah I still need a 3 screw DK JR, I have the box already for it 😢

Also to note a few above. I have a 3-screw -CAN version of soccer as well and a "day time screen" rad racer as well. Never figured they were noteworthy enough to mention too much tho ha ha. I know -CAN gets goofy with 3-screw stuff being more common so didnt put much thought in to soccer (and most folks only seem to care about -US variants anyways :P)