IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

1 hour ago, Foochie776 said:

I look every time I see one and I still haven’t seen one 😶

I think it took me almost 2 years to snag one.  Saw one with a ratty label a long time ago on eBay, and before I could click “buy it now” it was gone.  This one surfaced and I snagged it right away. 🙂

Edited by NesQuest
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

There was one with the N7 manual sitting on ebay for a couple weeks a while back, but there wasn't a clear enough pic of the cart to see if it was also N7.

I think it was, as I believe Bryan from Bryan's Video Trader bought it and he mentioned it smelled like cat piss. 

On 4/12/2020 at 11:06 AM, captmorgandrinker said:

There was one with the N7 manual sitting on ebay for a couple weeks a while back, but there wasn't a clear enough pic of the cart to see if it was also N7.

I think it was, as I believe Bryan from Bryan's Video Trader bought it and he mentioned it smelled like cat piss. 

Think I remembered seeing that one listed.  Without the cart confirmation I opted to wait. Glad I did if it had that odor!!! 🙂

The one I found was in stellar condition!

Edited by NesQuest

You can tell if it's an N7 without having a close-up on the part #.  On N7s, the white border around the NBA logo is a little bit bigger, and there is more white space under the word PRODUCT underneath the logo.  That's how I found one of mine in a lot on ebay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wyansas said:

You can tell if it's an N7 without having a close-up on the part #.  On N7s, the white border around the NBA logo is a little bit bigger, and there is more white space under the word PRODUCT underneath the logo.  That's how I found one of mine in a lot on ebay.

Interesting.  It appears that you’re right.  Good eye!

6 hours ago, wyansas said:

Is this only true for the carts? Comparing boxes I don't see much, if any, difference in the surrounding white border.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:53 AM, wyansas said:

On 4/17/2020 at 12:58 PM, NesQuest said:

Interesting.  It appears that you’re right.  Good eye!

Some pics. You have some amazing eyesight @wyansas. The N7 version is truly taller by exactly one millimeter (18mm vs 17mm).

IMG_20200423_212949.thumb.jpg.f8e7269807ef9dfbd3c66a3bc8adfc64.jpg

1267888577_inCollage_20200423_2134340092.thumb.jpg.add738bc6fb91ce673990a3e8774f214.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

I think what made me pull the trigger and buy the lot was the placement of the registered trademark symbol.  It's in line with the text on the -1 and noticeably lower on the N7.  Couldn't tell for sure, but I bought the lot and lucked out!

Edited by wyansas

3 hours ago, bowser said:

So with so many people finding N7 copies it can't be rare right?

I think it's pretty darn rare.  It's at least rarer than, say, an Alpha Mission 5 screw, a Donkey Kong 3 screw, or a Gretzky -3, the latter two of which are on this list.  I might say it's rarer than a Silent Service 5 screw.  There are quite a few copies of this game out there and it's taking some people on here years to find one.

11 hours ago, bowser said:

So with so many people finding N7 copies it can't be rare right?

It’s seems to be pretty rare.  There’s what, 5 or 6 reported on here?  That’s approximately the same that was on NA and how long was that site around.  I saw one appear on eBay, missed it and it took me the better part of about 2 years to find another!

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, wyansas said:

Is there a list of the games with 3 and 5 screws and the relative rarity of each, or did that get lost with NA?

It took awhile but I found the list with rarity info on NA: https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/comment/3157844/#Comment_3157844

If you don't need the rarity info there's also this:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 9:09 AM, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

It took awhile but I found the list with rarity info on NA: https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/comment/3157844/#Comment_3157844

I

The last part of that list on the gocollect site is missing, basically everything after Star Force. Anyone have the missing relative rarity data?

7 minutes ago, nrslam said:

The last part of that list on the gocollect site is missing, basically everything after Star Force. Anyone have the missing relative rarity data?

So it is, sigh. The archive.nes.science archive unfortunately only archived the first page, but there is a complete list on the first page, it's just from 2013.

http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview1546-2.html?catid=5&threadid=107035

21 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

The rarity code wasn't right and needed to be redone. I suggested 1-5 because 1-10 is dumb.

1 being 50/50 chance, 5 being items like 5 Screw SE or 3 Screw DK Jr Math.

You get the idea. Prove to me you need more than five categories for rarity here. Wanna fight about it?

I think 4 would actually cover it.

Widespread, Common, Uncommon, Rare...then Rare itself can have different levels of rarity (Rare, Very Rare, Extremely Rare, Nearly Unique, Unique/1-of-a-kind)

eBay nullifies all purposes of a complete rarity scale from 1-10....go ahead and tell me that Mario Duck Hunt is easier to find in lots than Golf, or Excitebike. I’ll fight you over that one.