IGNORED

Limited Run Games

I'm still going to get it. Although I don't believe in censorship, it is their game and they are allowed to change the jokes if they find them inappropriate or not funny. Here is their official response

https://skunkapegames.com/samandmax/faq/

But wait, I read online that you censored a ton of jokes?!

Nope, not true. We did make small tweaks to a few jokes that we were uncomfortable including in a game in 2020. (These changes were so minimal that we forgot all about them when we first posted this FAQ!) These don’t change the game experience and we feel strongly that it was the right thing to do. Unless you go looking for them, you probably won’t even notice.

Here is a list of all changes

https://censorship.wikia.org/wiki/Sam_and_Max_Save_The_World_Remastered

When ever I read something like "minimal" and "unless you go looking for them, you probably won't even notice" I say to myself "then why did you bother to make them?"

While they might not have technically censored the original they are waffling (IMHO) since they certainly bowdlerized it - I don't see how they can weasel out of that.  

It also appears that the four people who acquired the rights were more technically oriented as opposed to the artistic end of things (writers and artists) - it would be interesting to see their take - including the author of the comics.

• Like 1

When Sam & Max Save the World was released on Steam I read some reviews and couple negative reviews said that the dev team marketed the script as unchanged up until launch and then came up with that excuse of a statement. Like Tabonga said, if it's not a big deal, why change it? They made it a point to say it's unchanged but somehow forgot that they did change it - right.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

When ever I read something like "minimal" and "unless you go looking for them, you probably won't even notice" I say to myself "then why did you bother to make them?"

While they might not have technically censored the original they are waffling (IMHO) since they certainly bowdlerized it - I don't see how they can weasel out of that.  

It also appears that the four people who acquired the rights were more technically oriented as opposed to the artistic end of things (writers and artists) - it would be interesting to see their take - including the author of the comics.

They definitely changed a few of the lines to be less "offensive" as you noted - there's no doubt about that. Whether it was warranted is arguable, but after reading through the list and it really is just a few lines changed

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1440440/view/2913231583179436796

I think it really will make no difference in the enjoyment of the game. Now, I do think they should have been forthright with the changes, and again I'm not defending the changes. However, I honestly don't see it as being detrimental. The developers also note this (for what it's worth)

The Freelance Police are back in a remastered version of their first season of episodic adventure games, lovingly updated by a small group of the original developers with the blessing of Sam & Max creator Steve Purcell.

At the end of the day I'm just glad this game is coming out and look forward to playing it 🙂

I will likely get it also - I like games with feelies.

The question for me is a larger one of creeping insidiousness. The last time I saw Blazing Saddles on tv it was basically a different (read  as "far less humorous") movie that was beyond neutered with "minimal" cumulative changes that either substituted non-humorous jokes for funny ones or just cut them out all together.

And as @sp1nz pointed out they felt the need to obfuscate what they had done - why not just be up front about it if they are doing nothing wrong.  Seems they are trying to have their cake and eat it to.

Edited by Tabonga

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

I will likely get it also - I like games with feelies.

The question for me is a larger one of creeping insidiousness. The last time I saw Blazing Saddles on tv it was basically a different (read  as "far less humorous") movie that was beyond neutered with "minimal" cumulative changes that either substituted non-humorous jokes for funny ones or just cut them out all together.

And as @sp1nz pointed out they felt the need to obfuscate what they had done - why not just be up front about it if they are doing nothing wrong.  Seems they are trying to have their cake and eat it to.

Mel Brooks said none of his movies would ever be produced today, and he's right. Other classics like Airplane have a zero percent change of being made today. Fortunately you can still purchase them in the way they were originally shown online, so no censorship of such films at this point! As for Sam and Max... it's a fine line, but I think you are correct when you say bowdlerizing which I view as less extreme than censorship. Again, I'm not supporting the move, but seems to me that much of the criticism has been leveled by a small group of "purists" (for lack of a better word) that have complained about numerous changes including the fact that Ogie Banks (who is a black voice actor) replaced Joey Camen (who is a white voice actor) for the character of Roscoe Bosco who is black. I think Ogie Banks is ideal for the role and find the criticisms leveled to be without merit.

The best parts of Airplane! would easily work just as well today.

The character that's funny simply "because he's gay"? He's embarassing and cringeworthy, way more than he's offensive, and I'm pretty sure the movie would have been better off without stuff like that.
I rewatched most of Zucker brothers movies recently (airplane, top secret, naked gun, police squad series), and there's definitely some hilarious stuff in there, but trust me when I say that a lot of it doesn't hold up well.

I'm not a fan of censorship, but people losing their shit and acting up about it just because someone else try to improve their content when they realised that it might be possible for them to be funny without also being a jerk about it? Those guys are probably a lot worse.

Edited by Sumez

2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Mel Brooks said none of his movies would ever be produced today, and he's right. Other classics like Airplane have a zero percent change of being made today. Fortunately you can still purchase them in the way they were originally shown online, so no censorship of such films at this point! As for Sam and Max... it's a fine line, but I think you are correct when you say bowdlerizing which I view as less extreme than censorship. Again, I'm not supporting the move, but seems to me that much of the criticism has been leveled by a small group of "purists" (for lack of a better word) that have complained about numerous changes including the fact that Ogie Banks (who is a black voice actor) replaced Joey Camen (who is a white voice actor) for the character of Roscoe Bosco who is black. I think Ogie Banks is ideal for the role and find the criticisms leveled to be without merit.

The fact that various older movies can still be obtained intact is little solace when you consider that such benchmarks can no longer be made.  Who knows what we have missed because of it.

Purists is a slippery term - it can be equally applied to people who want to bar something because it might be offensive (whether it actually is or not seems to be irrelevant) to someone somewhere (to point of being singular).  And who judges the people who do such judging?  

9 minutes ago, Sumez said:

but people losing their shit and acting up about it just because someone else try to improve their content..

Come on, man!  They're not trying to "improve their content;" they're trying to make sure they don't get in any hot water in a post-George Floyd world.  Now who's obfuscating the truth?

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Honestly, I don't really care either way.  I'll finally get to play through Sam & Max, and own it physically to boot.  A few lines of dialogue I'm unfamiliar with won't affect me either way... certainly not something to be a martyr over.

(though I freely admit to refusing to own the OG Star Wars trilogy on BD, so I guess I'm a hypocrite)

17 hours ago, Tabonga said:

I think you might be missing the point of the movie lol. Are you one of those guys that thinks the point of Mad Men is that Don Draper is a cool guy

• Haha 1

Did anybody else grab the RIKI 8Bit NES full set, or even any of the individual CIBs? I picked up all three standard editions, since I figured it was the only way to get officially released versions of these games on quality cartridges that won't accidentally fry my console.

Oddly, it looks like they're still available as of this post although presales were supposed to end last night.

30 minutes ago, dvertov said:

Did anybody else grab the RIKI 8Bit NES full set, or even any of the individual CIBs? I picked up all three standard editions, since I figured it was the only way to get officially released versions of these games on quality cartridges that won't accidentally fry my console.

Oddly, it looks like they're still available as of this post although presales were supposed to end last night.

TBH I couldn’t decide if I wanted the CIB or LE version, so bought neither. It’s something pretty on the edge of my interest to begin with though. The CIBs look better than the stock black box LRG LEs but the LEs are supposed to be the premium version. I’ll probably just get the Famicom releases if I do want them in the future so I don’t have to decide between the two.

1 hour ago, cma2032 said:

I think you might be missing the point of the movie lol. Are you one of those guys that thinks the point of Mad Men is that Don Draper is a cool guy

No - I understood the main thrust of the movie perfectly well- it was mocking the stereotypes (among other things such as the Gabby Hayes homage)  it mimicked/lampooned* - something the people who objected to certain parts seem to have totally missed.  Humor is really wasted on fairly large segments of the populace.

*The opening scene was sheer genius IMHO.