IGNORED

Logan Paul 3.5 million dollar Pokemon case scandal.

Dumars2001

I don't know if this has been posted on here or talked about already. Just curious if anyone has been following this case and what your thoughts are. It was essentially brought to light by a little known Youtuber (Rattle Pokemon). Must watch video for any type of collector.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1500649

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1500869

Edited by Dumars2001
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

It's worth nothing now, so he might as well open it and see, unless he's just trying to avoid further embarrassment. I'm curious lol

Don't think for a second that either Paul brother feels any embarrassment from stuff like this.

Plus, it doesn't really matter to him if he blew 3.5 million on worthless cards. The whole episode is generating views and clicks on his videos (3 million for the linked one up there; edit, and in the five hours since I posted, it got another half a million), not to mention the products he plugs.

As long as people are talking about him and watching his shit, he's happy.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, The Count said:

Here's a terrific breakdown of the situation:

https://www.pokebeach.com/2021/12/logan-pauls-3-5-million-base-set-case-may-be-fake-pokemon-community-uncovers-significant-evidence

BBCE looks really bad here, but so does Logan Paul for his poor/lack of provenance review.

In terms of unopened sports material BBCE is the gold standard (my other main hobby is trading cards and I've been on the psacard.com forum since my college days).  But by Steve Hart's own admission they didn't know much about Pokemon.  Not a smart move by him to say the least.

Edited by Estil

4 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I'm just think of the balls of the first guy to sell this for so much money and to think they won't get caught.  I mean with this much money....people would get physically harmed if caught knowingly scamming someone of that much money. 

But how many times as it changed hands? No one in the last 10 years would've dared opened it. And no one beside a influencer doing it for the gram would've even opened the box. It's really a great scam. Hates off to the scammers on this one. 

I don't do Pokemon but have been casually aware of this because of all of the hype.  The only info I can add that wasn't in the article:

The prior owner Shyne on IG did refund the $3.5M to Logan Paul.  I don't believe he has been refunded for the $2.7M purchase though, and his legal team was supposed to be on it.

Shyne is also the guy who bought the $400k Sonic on Goldin last year so I'm sure he's loaded.  

7 minutes ago, Rhapsody98 said:

Why are we paying any attention to this asshat again?

Because of all of the hype around sealed examples of vintage product(s) and all of the perceived value of that stuff that has exploded in the past couple of years.  From multiple perspectives, if someone can create faked examples of hard to get, desirable, sealed products from the past that can fool the "experts" (the guy who originally paid a mint for the case, as well as the grading company that tried to help him verify it as legitimate), it can at the very least sow serious doubt within that community as to the legitimacy of anything therein.  Without opening the stuff up, if this example was "perfectly" faked, who's to say that there aren't tens, dozens, or hundreds of "verified" examples sitting around in acrylic cases, being priced like gold, but in reality holding all the value of used toilet paper?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I read the thread in the OPs link. So this item has a dubious history, was denied authentication on first few sale attempts, has a suspicious label noting said case as "1st edition" when this was not something WOTC did until a few expansion sets later, and was eventually authenticated by a third party that has no experience on authenticating Pokémon cards?

Did I miss anything?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Did I miss anything?

Yes, the fact that everyone should be wary of anyone claiming any sort of expertise in any such matters.  Hindsight is 20/20, and it's super easy to critique from the perspective of being very knowledgeable about a subject you're interested in (not necessarily Pokemon, but there are definite parallels across sealed collectibles markets).  Logan Paul's antics don't thrill me in the least, but to his untrained, inexpert eye, the box looked right enough, and both the seller as well as a company hyping up their own grading services declared it legitimate.  If you're not an expert in such things, how long do you really keep shelling out more money to more people to verify something that "experts" you've already spoken to have previously "verified?"  Everyone says "oh man, how could you fall for that" after someone gets taken by a con man, but in the thick of it, it's often something else entirely.

Apparently Logan Paul got his money back, without having to sue over it, which makes me really start to wonder if the seller didn't know or at least have a good idea already about what they really had, and were really just looking for the right deep-pocketed sucker to come along and make them a tidy profit.  Should that be the case, I imagine their blood ran cold when the guy buying them proceeded to crack them open very publicly.

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Yes, the fact that everyone should be wary of anyone claiming any sort of expertise in any such matters.  Hindsight is 20/20, and it's super easy to critique from the perspective of being very knowledgeable about a subject you're interested in (not necessarily Pokemon, but there are definite parallels across sealed collectibles markets).  Logan Paul's antics don't thrill me in the least, but to his untrained, inexpert eye, the box looked right enough, and both the seller as well as a company hyping up their own grading services declared it legitimate.  If you're not an expert in such things, how long do you really keep shelling out more money to more people to verify something that "experts" you've already spoken to have previously "verified?"  Everyone says "oh man, how could you fall for that" after someone gets taken by a con man, but in the thick of it, it's often something else entirely.

Apparently Logan Paul got his money back, without having to sue over it, which makes me really start to wonder if the seller didn't know or at least have a good idea already about what they really had, and were really just looking for the right deep-pocketed sucker to come along and make them a tidy profit.  Should that be the case, I imagine their blood ran cold when the guy buying them proceeded to crack them open very publicly.

Or it's another Paul Bros. inspired hoax. 

• Agree 1