IGNORED

Game Debate #79: Super Mario Odyssey

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

8 for me.  The only 3D Mario game I've fully played through.  My son and I played it together and we found 998/999 moons, all purple coins, all souvenirs, all stickers, and we've purchased nearly all of the outfits and hats.  It's definitely a great game, but I still prefer 2D style Mario games.  

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Had fun playing through the main game, but got bored at the end of the neverending moons and collectibles. Some of the levels were a bit too expanded/big for my taste, and the hat jump move wasn't comfortable to pull off.

Many cool (and less cool) ideas, but I prefer Mario games to be more contained and focused.

7/10

• Like 3

Between an 8 and 9. Ultimately gave it a 9 because it really is a very fun and well made game and it's hard to go wrong with Mario. That said this is probably my least favorite 3D Mario. I think it could've been my 2nd favorite after Mario 64 with a couple tweaks like not spreading moons out literally everywhere. There was very little satisfaction in getting any because half of them were just lying around or easily bought with coins. Like why even have 999 moons just for the sake of having them? The other thing I missed was an overworld. The levels were all pretty much great but for 3D Mario's I really like having an overworld like Peach's Castle in 64 and Delfino Plaza in Sunshine. That said the game is fundamentally great and I did have a lot of fun playing it. The addition of cappy was a cool gimmick and becoming other Mario enemies was fun. The highlight for me was the very end though. Probably one of the best final battles in a Mario.

• Like 1

8/10
Fantastic game, it's basically Mario Sunshine done right this time.

Galaxy is a 10/10 game to me, that game is wall-to-wall pure Super Mario gameplay - Odyssey, meanwhile, focuses instead much more on the exploration and immersion, and as a result a lot of the moons you need to find are borderline tedious. But it still does what it does really well, and better than everything else in the genre.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I just remembered a funny story about Mario Odyssey.  This game was the first traditional Mario game my kids ever played (and for this reason, I'm guessing that Odyssey will have a special place in their heart the same way that the original SMB does for me).  So after they moved on from the game, the next traditional Mario game that got into was NSMBU Deluxe.  I was excited for them to try out a 2D style Mario game for the first time, and of course the first thing they ask when playing the game is "how do I get Mario to throw his hat?"  It's funny to me that in their mind, Mario has ALWAYS been able to throw his hat. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you would've asked me a year ago, I would've gave it a flat 6. Better than average but not by much. I played it coming off of BOTW and wanted it to be the same open world experience, but it just wasn't. 

I went back and played it again this year and was really astonished by how much I enjoyed it the second time through. It is the ultimate hand-held Switch game. Really a perfect game to have installed so you can fire it up on the go, get a couple moons and put the Switch back to sleep.

I thought it complimented BOTW in the BOTW I wanted to keep playing some going from TV to handheld was a huge benefit as a means to keep putting hours into the game. Odyssey was almost the opposite where I had a hard time playing it for large stretches and found the handheld mode a savoir since I knew I could accomplish at least a moon even if I had 5 mins in a waiting room. 

Overall, I really enjoyed it, way more than I thought I ever would, and I'm glad I decided on a whim to give it another full playthrough. I think the first time through I just beat the game and quit. This past time I got over 500 moons, maybe 600. Totally worth it too 

• Like 1

8/10

Pretty good. It's been in my collection for four years and I haven't played it nearly as much as the others, but it's fun and I'm already enjoying it more than Galaxy. I like Cappy, and I actually enjoy looking for the Moons because it's like the many collect-a-thon games for N64

It's not quite as good as Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine (yes, I said that...and don't regret saying it because Sunshine is better than a lot of people say), but it doesn't disappoint. I'll get back to playing Super Mario Odyssey after I finish playing through Super Mario 3D Land. Last time I played it I used the Joy-Cons and Grip, but next time I play it I think I'll use the GameCube-Style Switch Controller.

supermariodysseyswitch.jpg.898f69cd7ccfa0e4861234a3de841506.jpg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, MegaMan52 said:

8/10

Pretty good. It's been in my collection for four years and I haven't played it nearly as much as the others, but it's fun and I'm already enjoying it more than Galaxy. I like Cappy, and I actually enjoy looking for Moons because it's like the many collect-a-thon games for the N64

It's not quite as good as Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine (yes, I said that...and don't regret saying it because Sunshine is better than a lot of people say), but it doesn't disappoint I'll get back to playing Super Mario Odyssey after I finish playing through Super Mario 3D Land.

I really enjoyed my time with Sunshine, even if I didn't finish it. I prefer it to Galaxy which gives me a headache when I play.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 3:17 PM, TDIRunner said:

8 for me.  The only 3D Mario game I've fully played through.  My son and I played it together and we found 998/999 moons, all purple coins, all souvenirs, all stickers, and we've purchased nearly all of the outfits and hats.  It's definitely a great game, but I still prefer 2D style Mario games.  

Why not get that last moon?  You have made it so far to just give up at the last one?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

Why not get that last moon?  You have made it so far to just give up at the last one?

It's not a question of finding it or figuring out how to get it.  I know where it is and what to do.  It's question of skill.  I physically can't do it.  I've tried it probably 50 times.  It's just not going to happen.  😔

• Like 1