IGNORED

December 2021 Read!

SailorScoutMandy

December Pick   

9 members have voted

1. 1. December Pick

• John Dies at the End by David Wong
    • No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
    • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time #1) by Robert Jordan **Two month book, would be Dec and Jan due to length**
    • Star Wars Legends: Heir to the Empire (Thrawn Trilogy #1)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/2021 at 04:59 AM

Sorry Im late with this one everyone. 

this poll will run from now though 12/3. 

John Dies at the End by David Wong

spacer.png

John Dies at the End (John Dies at the End, #1)

STOP. You should not have touched this flyer with your bare hands. NO, don't put it down. It's too late. They're watching you. My name is David Wong. My best friend is John. Those names are fake. You might want to change yours. You may not want to know about the things you'll read on these pages, about the sauce, about Korrok, about the invasion, and the future. But it's too late. You touched the book. You're in the game. You're under the eye. The only defense is knowledge. You need to read this book, to the end. Even the part with the bratwurst. Why? You just have to trust me.

The important thing is this: The drug is called Soy Sauce and it gives users a window into another dimension. John and I never had the chance to say no. You still do. I'm sorry to have involved you in this, I really am. But as you read about these terrible events and the very dark epoch the world is about to enter as a result, it is crucial you keep one thing in mind: None of this was my fault.

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

12497. sy475

In his blistering new novel, Cormac McCarthy returns to the Texas-Mexico border, the setting of his famed Border Trilogy. The time is our own, when rustlers have given way to drug-runners and small towns have become free-fire zones.

One day, Llewellyn Moss finds a pickup truck surrounded by a bodyguard of dead men. A load of heroin and two million dollars in cash are still in the back. When Moss takes the money, he sets off a chain reaction of catastrophic violence that not even the law–in the person of aging, disillusioned Sheriff Bell–can contain.

As Moss tries to evade his pursuers–in particular a mysterious mastermind who flips coins for human lives–McCarthy simultaneously strips down the American crime novel and broadens its concerns to encompass themes as ancient as the Bible and as bloodily contemporary as this morning’s headlines.
No Country for Old Men is a triumph.

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time #1) by Robert Jordan

(If this one is choosen it will cover dec and jan due to length)

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

When The Two Rivers is attacked by Trollocs-a savage tribe of half-men, half-beasts- five villagers flee that night into a world they barely imagined, with new dangers waiting in the shadows and in the light.

Star Wars Legends: Heir to the Empire (Thrawn Trilogy #1)

Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1)

It is a time of renewal, five years after the destruction of the Death Star and the defeat of Darth Vader and the Empire.

But with the war seemingly won, strains are beginning to show in the Rebel Alliance. New challenges to galactic peace have arisen. And Luke Skywalker hears a voice from his past. A voice with a warning. Beware the dark side….

The Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet back into barely a quarter of the territory that they once controlled. Leia and Han are married, are expecting Jedi twins, and have shouldered heavy burdens in the government of the new Republic. And Luke Skywalker is the first in a hoped-for new line of Jedi Knights.

But thousands of light years away, where a few skirmishes are still taking place, the last of the Emperor's warlords has taken command of the remains of the Imperial fleet. He has made two vital discoveries that could destroy the fragile new Republic—built with such cost to the Rebel Alliance. The tale that emerges is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale—in short, a story that is worthy of the name Star Wars.

Edited by SailorScoutMandy

2 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

just tagging members who joined recently, if you dont want to be tagged or i missed you, let me know 🙂

• Thanks 1

I went with No Country for Old Men. I've read it but would love to discuss it, it's a great read, like all of McCarthy's books.

The Eye of the World has been on my list forever but I'm currently reading through the last book in the Riftwar Trilogy so I don't have time for another Fantasy novel right now :(

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, G-type said:

I read the Wheel of time series about 10 years ago. I do plan to read it again eventually, but not ready yet. I just finished Oathbringer and Edgedancer this past month. All that remains in the Stormlight Archives is the Dawnshard novella and Book 4: Rhythms of War.

...and then you'll need to read Warbreaker and all of the Mistborn books and Elantris and whatever other Cosmere novels there are 😅

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

...and then you'll need to read Warbreaker and all of the Mistborn books and Elantris and whatever other Cosmere novels there are 😅

Another good reason not to do a Fantasy series for a book club! If I start Wheel of Time again, that will basically occupy my reading for the next 2 years.