IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Rygar. Cool game! I was always intimidated playing it thinking it was going to be this Battle of Olympus style journey, the game is like 2 hours long and pretty easy and straightforward! I love that it makes you walk the perimeter of the castle at the end because it's huuuuge.

• Like 2

trying to finish Castlevania 3. 

i've finished Metroid 1-3, Zelda 1-2, and CV 1-2 so far this quarantine. CV3 is giving me fits. made it to Drac a few times, even made it to his third (and final?) form a couple times, but i'm struggling. I don't know if i will ever have a chance like this to play some of these games all the way through in a row like this (beat both Zelda games previously, but the other series are new).  Loving the challenge, but also FUCK YOU to some of these enemies. 

Graphics Team · Posted
13 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Rygar. Cool game! I was always intimidated playing it thinking it was going to be this Battle of Olympus style journey, the game is like 2 hours long and pretty easy and straightforward! I love that it makes you walk the perimeter of the castle at the end because it's huuuuge.

Really? I've always written it off, too, since I heard it was hard to figure out what to do and where to go. Would you recommend it for someone who doesn't typically have the patience for exploration-based games?

-CasualCart

9 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Really? I've always written it off, too, since I heard it was hard to figure out what to do and where to go. Would you recommend it for someone who doesn't typically have the patience for exploration-based games?

-CasualCart

Maybe! It's an equal mix of action and exploration I think because there aren't too many wrong paths to go down. Just read the manual. There's a one hub overworld (Garloz) and a bunch of linear spokes off of it. At any point you need an item to continue, there is literally an NPC sitting there saying "You need the crossbow to continue further idiot!". The manual also tells you the location of all the items and the names of all the locations (which people refer to in game, so is kind of important). The manual also tells you to get the grappling hook as your first item to give you direction. The order it lists the items in is also the order you need to collect them IIRC:

spacer.png

The only things that took a bit to figure out are:

Spoiler

1. The grappling hook can shoot up and off screen to a platform you can't see. This isn't at all intuitive, but a couple times you come to a dead end that clearly isn't pointless, so you have to shoot upwards to continue.

2. The crossbow is used I think once on the Garloz overworld and you have be positioned VERY specifically for it to work. I "knew" it's what I had to do, but it wasn't working, so I gave up, ran around the whole entire game before coming back to it and it magically worked because I was in the right position the second time around.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I decided to get back into playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate yesterday, and something happened that I wasn't expecting:

2020053013090400-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.thumb.jpg.1afa41d0769f89280810f30f6727183c.jpg

2020053013091900-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.thumb.jpg.f2b7dce70d36fcfcbed417ef97707203.jpg

I won an Online Tournament. I guess my experience playing Super Smash Bros 64 and Melee was enough.

Edited by MegaMan52

16 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Maybe! It's an equal mix of action and exploration I think because there aren't too many wrong paths to go down. Just read the manual. There's a one hub overworld (Garloz) and a bunch of linear spokes off of it. At any point you need an item to continue, there is literally an NPC sitting there saying "You need the crossbow to continue further idiot!". The manual also tells you the location of all the items and the names of all the locations (which people refer to in game, so is kind of important). The manual also tells you to get the grappling hook as your first item to give you direction. The order it lists the items in is also the order you need to collect them IIRC:

spacer.png

The only things that took a bit to figure out are:

Reveal hidden contents

1. The grappling hook can shoot up and off screen to a platform you can't see. This isn't at all intuitive, but a couple times you come to a dead end that clearly isn't pointless, so you have to shoot upwards to continue.

2. The crossbow is used I think once on the Garloz overworld and you have be positioned VERY specifically for it to work. I "knew" it's what I had to do, but it wasn't working, so I gave up, ran around the whole entire game before coming back to it and it magically worked because I was in the right position the second time around.

UGH that explains a lot.  I never had a manual or a faq for it back in the later 90s when I last bothered with the game to be fair.  If you jump in with a loose cart it's a disaster and very confusing to the point of frustration and just not wanting to play.  I'm not sure I ever left the opening area much as I know I've not seen most the game.  I guess it's one of those games of the day where they assumed people would refer to the book and know.

It seems to be implied that "Rygar" is the NES version of that game. I really recommend giving the original arcade game a go, it's available on Arcade Archives on both PS4 and Switch.

There's no confusing exploration aspect in that one, but a very cool action oriented platformer gameplay stuck somewhere between Castlevania and Ghouls n Ghosts. It shows its age, but for what it is, I'd say it was a really influential game, and super popular in the arcade for a reason.

Personally, I'm playing through every Mega Man Zero game at the moment, thanks to the recent Zero/ZX Legacy Collection. And for the fourth game in the series, I'm finally taking it a bit slower, and trying to go for at least an A rank on every stage, reloading saves until I get a successful try (which usually involves moving fast through the stage and at the very least not losing any lives).

697633-925724_20051104_003.jpg 697635-925724_20051104_005.jpg

I think Zero 4 is supposed to be the easiest in the series, but for the above reason, it's been the one giving me by far the most challenge so far. Looking at the games from this perspective, it's a really cool balance honestly, how there's a built-in mechanic that makes the game a lot easier (Cyber-Elves, items that essentially work as both upgrades and consumables), but making use of them will always hurt your potential rank. It seems to be one of the few things Inti Creates apparently have a good understanding of, as Bloodstained Curse of the Moon did a very similar thing.

I'll say though, that Zero 4 is also the first one of that series, that I really enjoy playing. I remember enjoying the first game of the series a lot when it originally came out, because it was finally a new "real" Mega Man game, following the X series going astray, but returning to it all these years later I can easily see how Inti essentially have no idea what makes a Mega Man game fun to play. Something I think also haunts their entries into the original series with MM9 and 10, despite those otherwise being popular - but probably much more famously led to the disaster that was Mighty No. 9. The biggest issue that haunts every entry in the Zero series (but most obviously the first two), is how the sprites are much too large for the GBA's small resolution, and the game doesn't seem to ever consider your limited viewport, quite often expecting you to react to enemies and obstacles (and even quite a few bosses) outside of your range of vision! It's just such a baffling mistake, and even moreso that they'd repeat it through every game in this series - and if they'd been willing to do one improvement to them for the Zero/ZX collection, I don't think expanding the resolution a bit would have been a bad choice...

The stages in Z4 are much less frustrating than in especially the first two ones though, and the bosses have been very involving so far, really forcing me to learn every aspect of their pattern and react fast to everything they do - almost like a real Mega Man boss. In general, Zero 4 finally took the last steps necessary to become more like a Mega Man X title, and only benefits from it.

It's kinda sad, because I originally liked how the first MMZ game tries to deviate from the classic Mega Man formula by making every area exist in the same world as a natural location (not quite a metroidvania, but in that vein), and making the stages progress in a way more ingrained into the story. They'd eventually return to that formula in ZX, but by MMZ4 we are 100% back to the "here's 8 stages each represented by a robot boss, pick your order". And honestly, it's like a lost MMX game. I hope it's be able to maintain this pace.

Finally finishing up Gears 5. It's probably one of the best entries in the series gameplay-wise, but is heavily lacking in the narrative department.

I also started digging into the Outer Wilds. That is a crazy unique game. It doesn't reach GOTY levels for me, but it is a fascinating experience. It's basically one giant mystery that sends you exploring the solar system. The fact that you acquire knowledge, rather than items, abilities, or experience points really changes the way I view progression as I play. It's basically the closest I've ever felt to being a detective.

Has anyone else tried this game? I'm interested if others feel the same.

Been trying out some random Dreamcast games. Wetrix+ is a really interesting puzzle game where you have to setup walls to contain falling pockets of water. It always looked kind of weird to me, but now that I've tried it, it's actually pretty fun. Tee Off is a simple arcade-style golf game, like Hot Shots Golf or Mario Golf I guess. Not bad, but kinda meh overall. Apparently it's the only golf game for the Dreamcast, which seems kind of strange.

Also been playing through Champions of Norrath. It's pretty much exactly like the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games, which I played through not long ago. These games get pretty damn repetetive, and yet I find myself strangely addicted to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing through the C&C Remastered Collection which is fucking amazing. They did an incredible job remastering the original C&C and Red Alert.

I'm almost done with the GDI missions on the first game. Then its on to the NOD campaign.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:37 PM, a3quit4s said:

Yup Ghouls N ghosts n Genesis sucks just as much as it does on Super Nintendo!

by sucks I mean it’s hard 

I'm assuming this is just a shitpost, but just to be sure, you're aware that Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is an entirely different game, and a sequel, right? 🙂 

Also, Ghouls n Ghosts is one of the best arcade games in the world, and the MegaDrive port is incredibly good. 😛 

(aaaaand, their difficulty is massively overrated)

Edited by Sumez