IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Playing Seiken Densetsu 3. Last week I gave it a trial run just to see if maybe I would like it enough to give it more of my time, I did. so I started anew with Lise the Amazon. Playing this in french (fan translation) using it as I do every game that I can as a means of studying. Gathered my party, Lise, Angela and Carlie and ready to set off in search of the 8 Mana stones which are needed to open the portal to the Sacred Island where the Mana tree resides and the Mana sword...

Love that with each main character chosen the game starts out in a different location and each has a different detailed background story. The graphics are very nice, particularly find myself enjoying the little details inside of people's houses. I hated the first game on the SNES, most particular for the "AI" of the supporting followers, so hopefully this one is better. Enemies are very agressive and your character automatically locks into combat position when they are near so running away is difficult, but the enemies are not smart, thusfar just getting a barrier between you and then and they don't know how to navigate around it and just keep pushing forward to reach you and thus just moving a little bit around the side of it you can strike them without too much trouble from them... hmm, makes me wonder how smart or dumb my supporting characters are going to be in different situations - thusfar only had a hint of their combat prowess. Oh, and I like how I can push people around, thus no one can stand in my way for long, which is usually a problem in most RPGs back then, NPCs just standing in your path like immovable roadblocks until they decide to get out of your way, but not a problem here. There is a day/night cycle in this game, thus sometimes you need to visit places at either of those particular times of day, and enemies too are affected by it, be it rabbits sleeping at night and wolves out at night but not during the day. I think this one will keep me entralled and entertained, but even if not, well there are many other games of this type to try out as well, but it has gotten off to a good start.

Edited by MeganJoanne

I am at the boss on Castlevania X SNES. The last time I played this was on an older tv with an RF switch, this time I am play on a SuperNT. I've got to say this game is better than I realized. For me, its now, Castlevania lll, Bloodlines, Dracula X, Castlevania l, SOTN, Chronicles.

Edited by Californication

Still playing Seiken Densetsu 3. Spent a long time stuck in this cave building up my characters' levels before I was able to defeat the boss, some huge crab thingy with lots of cheap full screen attacks that are unavoidable, yep, same bullshit from the previous Mana game. And speaking of which, same crappy combat with my party that isn't in my immediate control doing stupid stuff and rushing into battle and getting enemies riled up and themselves unnecessarily hurt and the battleground turns into a chaotic mess where sometimes I lose track of where and who I am among the mess of sprites running around exchanging blows. I just want to kill the other two and go at it by myself, at least until I really need their overly aggressive support. I try changing their tactics but still nothing seems to change in their behavoir, stupid AI if that is what it can even be called. But made some progress, free'd the first mana spirit Lumina thus I suppose can use its power, but then got taken by surprise by the wolf-men and captured, but then another possible playable character that I chose not to use helped my group escape and that is where I am, now in the fortified city of Jade.

Edited by MeganJoanne

I'm just about to finish up Celeste. It's been a fun game but the controls aren't at tight as I want them to be. I feel like modern platforms are plagued by the joystick. I used the Hori switch joycon with the dpad and had to switch back and forth between the dpad and the joystick when playing with the feather. It was a great game. Slippery controls are my only complaint. I wouldn't mind trying to play it again and get all the hearts. 

In comparison to some other platformers, its much better than the end is nigh or tiny barbarian. I liked it better than the shantae that was released on the switch too. However, as far as platforming goes, Mega man 11 had been the standard set. Celeste definitely had the character development and the dialogue down though. 

8 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I'm just about to finish up Celeste. It's been a fun game but the controls aren't at tight as I want them to be. I feel like modern platforms are plagued by the joystick. I used the Hori switch joycon with the dpad and had to switch back and forth between the dpad and the joystick when playing with the feather. It was a great game. Slippery controls are my only complaint. I wouldn't mind trying to play it again and get all the hearts. 

In comparison to some other platformers, its much better than the end is nigh or tiny barbarian. I liked it better than the shantae that was released on the switch too. However, as far as platforming goes, Mega man 11 had been the standard set. Celeste definitely had the character development and the dialogue down though. 

Personally, I played Celeste with a mix of the Joycons and the Pro Controller, both in portable mode (I was deployed and didn't have access to a TV). I actually felt like the controls for the game were perfect, but the input options for the Switch were the problem. The Joycon is terrible for precise platforming while the Pro Controller is just okay. I think it's a testament to how good the game is designed and programmed that I was able to adapt to the controllers' faults and beat all B sides and C sides and get all strawberries while playing on the tiny Switch screen. I have the game on XBONE, so maybe I should try it there with an Elite controller and see how it feels. Regardless, for me it stands as one of the greatest platformers ever made.

7 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Personally, I played Celeste with a mix of the Joycons and the Pro Controller, both in portable mode (I was deployed and didn't have access to a TV). I actually felt like the controls for the game were perfect, but the input options for the Switch were the problem. The Joycon is terrible for precise platforming while the Pro Controller is just okay. I think it's a testament to how good the game is designed and programmed that I was able to adapt to the controllers' faults and beat all B sides and C sides and get all strawberries while playing on the tiny Switch screen. I have the game on XBONE, so maybe I should try it there with an Elite controller and see how it feels. Regardless, for me it stands as one of the greatest platformers ever made.

I actually have it on Xbox and stopped playing bc of the controls.. lol

It's a great platformer, I won't deny that but in my experience there could have been tighter controls. I felt so often missed jumps weren't my fault. I would look down at my hand and have it straight right and dash diagonal up right. Also when you dash at some walls it will take you over even if you're holding grapple. Your stamina decreases when you walk jump with grapple but not if you release the grapple button while wall jumping which I found to be a nuisance as well. Over all a great game though. 

I think when games make you content with dying that many times you actually over look flaws in the design. I went for a few deaths as possible in every room and really found that it wasn't enjoyable to play it that way. 

Platformers are my favorite genre of games so I critique them harder as well. 

EDIT: you know what, I'm going to try to use the SNES controller for the switch and see if it tightens up the controls.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
2nd thoughts
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 10:12 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

I actually have it on Xbox and stopped playing bc of the controls.. lol

It's a great platformer, I won't deny that but in my experience there could have been tighter controls. I felt so often missed jumps weren't my fault. I would look down at my hand and have it straight right and dash diagonal up right. Also when you dash at some walls it will take you over even if you're holding grapple. Your stamina decreases when you walk jump with grapple but not if you release the grapple button while wall jumping which I found to be a nuisance as well. Over all a great game though. 

I think when games make you content with dying that many times you actually over look flaws in the design. I went for a few deaths as possible in every room and really found that it wasn't enjoyable to play it that way. 

Platformers are my favorite genre of games so I critique them harder as well. 

EDIT: you know what, I'm going to try to use the SNES controller for the switch and see if it tightens up the controls.

How is the SNES controller? Have you played Ori? The new one has some of the best feeling movement in any game I've ever played. The final boss battle requires a combination of every movement type and serves as a fantastic finale.

I'm back on the Gears 5 co-op campaign which I hadn't touched since launch and Final Fantasy 7 Remake will get started this week. It's a great time to be alive!

Edited by DoctorEncore

Seiken Densetsu 3 which I had made just a little more progress in but then got distracted by other titles I got to trying out and then playing longer than I expected like Breath of Fire, and Neugier... probably soon some others. And also had started Illusion of Time (Illusion of Gaia) and Tales of Phantasia some time ago, but given how much I keep spreading myself around on trying out various RPGs and such, I'm not even sure what will actually get finished and when. Found a lot more fan translated titles in french (Breath of Fire 1 & 2, Neugier which I am playing now, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, so on) so going to be jumping around a lot from game to game checking them out.

Edited by MeganJoanne

Still more Animal Crossing

Call of DutyWarzone

Various Master System/Genesis games on my new Mega SG

Puyo Puyo 2 on the Sega Ages collection on Switch, and absolutely getting the COM’s foot in my ass around levels 3-4. That game is hard.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:28 PM, DoctorEncore said:

How is the SNES controller? Have you played Ori? The new one has some of the best feeling movement in any game I've ever played

I gave the SNES controller a go and it was a few changer. The D pad was much better than the pro controller of the Hori joycon. I got one of the B-side levels down but I don't think I'm going back for more. Those are pure torture!

I thought I had Ori for XB1 but I looked and I didn't see it in my games? I really could've swore I bought it and forgot about it. I'll definitely try out the new one. I didn't realize they released a second game. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I gave the SNES controller a go and it was a few changer. The D pad was much better than the pro controller of the Hori joycon. I got one of the B-side levels down but I don't think I'm going back for more. Those are pure torture!

I thought I had Ori for XB1 but I looked and I didn't see it in my games? I really could've swore I bought it and forgot about it. I'll definitely try out the new one. I didn't realize they released a second game. 

Nice! Thanks for the update. I never played the free DLC so maybe I'll use the SNES controller when I go back.

The original Ori is fantastic and worth playing, but the sequel is better in almost every way. They smartly expand your movement options with the first two powerups in the game. I love it when exploration based games do that as it clearly shows they care about the flow of the game. By the end you're dodging projectiles, grappling, gliding, jumping, and so much more.

...and as far as my play, more Animal Crossing.  But more importantly I just came off an hour of playing Leisure Suit Larry for the NES.  That thing is a piece of art.  I truly can appreciate that and I'm not one to typically buy homebrew stuff as it rarely lives up in my eyes.  KHAN though knocked it out on this one, a perfect blend of the text based era Larry visuals with the nice mouse like click of the d-pad and buttons streamlining it all.  The updates here and there are pretty fun, and the jokes range from just groan worthy to just wrong and funny.  I got an hour on or so and I got quite a few locations scoped out partly or more, lots of items, and it's good, retail of the era good giving the NES limits much like KQ5 was on the system.  I'm glad I was able to get the game as he saw my interest and reached out, no regrets as it's just fantastic.

Oh also, I'm sure some of you aren't internet blind and deaf to the fact by sheer coincidence of timing that the Super Mario 64 PC recompiling project got leaked with a playable DX12 (and OpenGL) build over on 4chan the other day right?  I was able to find the thread back searching all those inane copy pasta stories on gaming sites and wow it's quite impressive.  Sure you could fire up those mostly non-glitchy emulators, but something about it like that, much like the similar earlier Doom64 EX project running native in Windows is just special.

I've been laid off since March 25th and found out I'm going to be on unemployment until mid July.  I've been murdering my backlog of classics I've never made time to play.  The first three I struggled through were Metroid, Castlevania, and Double Dragon 3 on NES. The feeling of victory over a game like Metroid is lost on most games today.  After those three punishing games, I was done with NES and moved on to SNES.  There were three in particular I was itching to play.  Metal Warriors, Earthbound, and Mega Man X3.  In full disclosure, I don't own carts of these 3 as the price for all three has been ridiculous for over a decade.  That said, all three are just fantastic.  Metal Warriors is top 10 on the system good.  Right now I'm playing through Tomba 2 for ps1(brilliant) and planning on playing Parasite Eve next.  On current systems, I play a combo of Dead Cells, Stardew Valley, RDR 2, and Dark Souls 3.  

Playing a few games I claimed for free through Amazon Prime and Twitch. There are new games every month, and once you claim them you have them forever. Played a cool point-n-click detective game called Kathy Rain with @MeganJoanne. I really enjoyed the voice acting and the flow of the game, although some of the puzzles stumped us. We are pretty impatient in our old age 😛 

Started playing a rhythm game called Old School Musical as well through Amazon gaming. Really enjoying this one, too. Easy mode isn't too awful challenging, but I haven't tried normal and hard yet. Playing with the keyboard, but it might have controller support. I like the homage to the retro games and familiar-sounding yet unique music to play to.

Just finished another play through of Vandal Hearts.  Despite the number of times I've played through this game (more than I could count), this was the first time ever that I advanced Ash to Vandalier class.  Super over powered character, but it's fund to do at least once.

I've been trying to move onto a new game.  With the LRG release of Dark Forces, and the Humble Bundle Star Wars sale on May 5th, I decided to get the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight bundle on Steam.  Dark Forces was always one of my favorite games back when it came out, and I"ve been wanting to play it again.  I figured that getting the Steam version would make it easier to play on my current computer, but unfortunately that hasn't been the case.  I really want to play the game with a modern controller, but it's been extremely frustrating.  I ended up installing Xpadder on my computer to use my PS4 controller, but unfortunately, it doesn't work correctly with Dark Forces.  No matter what I do, it maps multiple commands to one button.  For example, hitting the fire button, causes you to fire and duck.  Hitting the interact button causes you to interact and jump. 

How has this game not been either remade for a modern console, or at the very least re-released on a modern console with modern controls (like the original Doom games on PS3 or Duke Nukem on PS4)?  I also have the game on PS1, but that game takes a big step down from the original and has no analogue control.     

You know I've still been picking away a little bit at that Mario 64 PC port, also got access to the private discord server, seems it's still being tweaked so I guess it won't be dying anytime soon and looks to get features added, and potential is there someone could in theory make their own new game too given how it was designed.

Not sure really why but it also inspired me to for some reason, maybe a bit due to NES Works Gaiden bringing it up too, to start tinkering with Mega Man 64(Legends) again and it still is pretty nice too despite its age.