IGNORED

Can VGS Beat... not a Nintendo console?

Gloves

What systems would you most want to contribute to beating every game of?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Your top choice

• Sega Genesis
    • Turbografx 16
    • Playstation
    • Dreamcast
    • Playstation 2
    • Xbox
    • Other - Comment!
  2. 2. Multiple choice - choose all you'd like to participate in

Administrator · Posted

Sega does what Nintendon't, and Playstation is for the players. VGS is kinda similar in a lot of ways! 

Many of us collect for consoles outside of the Nintendo line, and there are tons of great games on the PS1 (and I'm sure other systems too but probably not, it's whatever...). I personally am honestly more of a Playstation guy, in truth.

So we're all sitting on these collections of great games and some of us even play those games sometimes (I played through Parasite Eve not long ago for the first time and it was great!); why aren't we tracking that shit, son?

I want to see another "Can VGS beat every X" thread or two, for the Playsation (or whatever...). But we're a site for the players as it were, and we want the content we create to appeal to you. So... would you help us to track completions of a console beyond the usual NA fare? Maybe we start simple and not go "in a year" with it and simply try to collectively beat every game and capture a photo of all the end screens or something. Let's work together on it!

What console(s) would you be most likely to participate in for something like this? Answer the poll and let us know your thoughts!

Administrator · Posted

Yes - definitely!  I'd love to see more engagement with other systems.  

I chose Genesis for the first one mainly because some of the games are shorter and it is easier to complete them - but in terms of participation, I'd absolutely participate in Genesis, Playstation, and Playstation 2.  I'm actually more interested in PS gaming in general, but I also know there are tons of games.  As you mentioned, making it a multi-year goal is perhaps the only way to accomplish it but would still be fun!

Other than the NES, if a system has more than 500 games, I don't see it being remotely feasible within a year.  Maybe a community effort to beat them all "ASAP" could be cool, though.  Then why not choose which system has the most prolific library? Maybe the PS2, or GBA (which, I know, is Nintendo.)

Or, everything playable on a Game Boy Advance.  What is that, 10k games?

I might poke at TG16, PS1, and Genesis. I think some of these libraries are way too big for VGS to realistically complete because these would be B-tier threads compared to the Nintendo threads.

Or am I just saying that to use reverse psychology to get people to participate in spite??

Spoiler

No, I legitimately think the Playstation libraries are way too big and RPG-full to realistically have VGS beat... ~5 games every day? Maybe multi-year threads?

Edited by DefaultGen

Administrator · Posted
Just now, DefaultGen said:

I might poke at TG16, PS1, and Genesis. I think some of these libraries are way too big for VGS to realistically complete because these would be B-tier threads compared to the Nintendo threads.

Or am I just saying that to use reverse psychology to get people to participate in spite??

Hide contents

No, I legitimately think the Playstation libraries are way too big and RPG-full to realistically have VGS beat... ~5 games every day?

I think the larger library systems will just have to span over years and I think that is perfectly fine.  So maybe we'd have a - Can VGS beat every PS1 game - and just keep it ongoing until they are all beaten - and then celebrate at the end or do something fun.  Same with other systems!

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I was thinking that the larger library threads we could say that the overarching goal is to beat them all over multiple years, and have some manner of points system for a leaderboard where people can say "I have beaten this game" and get a point. Maybe we allow multiple people to beat the same game, keep a running tally of who's beaten what. Maybe being the first to beat a game nets you 2 points while being a runner-up is one point, or something like that.

Might be fun to collectively beat as many games as possible across the whole system while also seeing what games are popular for people to play and beat.

• Like 2

I was all set to run a Sega Master System one of these early this year.  I assigned point values to all the US released games based on my experiences with them.  I was going to post the thread after the Sega Master System weekly contest ended, but the lack of participation in that made me think it wouldn't get much attention.  I wouldn't mind running it here if there's interest.

I'd also likely participate in a Genesis or PlayStation one.  If a Genesis one is started, I'd like to see Sega CD and 32X games included as well.

I like the idea of not rolling over yearly like the SNES thread, especially if we're going to have like 6 consoles going at once. Some years get pushes like N64 had big years in 2016 and 2018 but this year is going to be relatively weak. It's a lot of games and a lot of longer games in later generations.

I actually explored the Genesis/Mega Drive library last year and and beat roughly over 50 games during that year despite never really having played on that system before (some games were Japan exclusive though). There are a lot of shorter, byte-sized games that can realistically be beaten within a reasonable amount of time. But there are also many very difficult games on the Genesis/Mega Drive, i.e. I am not sure if many people would be interested to grind through some of these more difficult ones or through countless sports games and the like.

TurboGrafx-16/PCEngine seem cool as well and I would definitely appreciate an excuse to delve into those game libraries as well. I've also pre-ordered the mini console like another user here. And even if it's Nintendo again, but GBA might be fun as well.

Out of the 3D consoles I would probably only really be interested in the PS1, since all the other ones are too modern and not that exciting. Another problem would be that from PS1 onwards the game libraries become absolutely massive and there are many, many trash titles within those. The Sega Dreamcast might be the only exception to the rule, but I don't own one and the games I'm interested usually have better versions on other systems.

I like the point idea from @Gloves. Imagine playing any big RPG on PS1/2 near the end only to have someone else finish first. Another suggestion: the more modern games get, the more of them have some kind of completion criteria, i.e. not just beat the game, but obtain every collectible as well, beating all optional bosses/dungeons (Ruby/Emerald weapon anyone?  Or Indalecio unlimited?). Maybe this could be included as well and award additional points?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red said:

I was all set to run a Sega Master System one of these early this year.  I assigned point values to all the US released games based on my experiences with them.  I was going to post the thread after the Sega Master System weekly contest ended, but the lack of participation in that made me think it wouldn't get much attention.  I wouldn't mind running it here if there's interest.

I'd also likely participate in a Genesis or PlayStation one.  If a Genesis one is started, I'd like to see Sega CD and 32X games included as well.

I'd have a go at either SMS or Genesis contests -- I blinked and suddenly I have both systems and megadrives for both. Vast libraries I'm looking forward to exploring.

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, Gloves said:

So far it's looking like there's actually a decently sized interest in the Sega Genesis. 

This despite me strongly hinting at the PS1 being the console that we should do because it's the best.

No rules sayin we cant start both!

• Like 1

I’d be up for three things and two I could and did vote on.  I’d love to do NeoGeo but not there so second to that would be the pcengine (tg16) and lastly the PS1 but I’ve got so few of those. 

If NeoGeo could be added I’ve got access to nearly the full library so I’d be most likely to play though with PCE I do have the pc everdrive so well it’s all good.