Disney's Aladdin - SNES or Genesis?

Nintegageo

SNES or Genesis?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which game?

• Aladdin - SNES
    • Aladdin - Genesis

SNES of course.

Aladdin on the SNES is part of the outstanding Disney/Capcom series which follows the "platformer with a gimmick" formula that made Duck Tales, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck and the Mickey Mouse games so good.

Controls are tight and once you know your way around the levels, it is super satisfying to clear them as you run, bounce, flip and glide in one smooth continuous, beautiful, almost artistic, motion. 

• Like 3

They're both quite good. While I think Tanooki is being hyperbolic, I agree that the SNES version has the edge. It's a more polished experience. Either way, you can't go wrong. They're different enough to warrant a playthrough of both.

The comment from Reed Rothchild must have flown straight over my head, because they're both obviously good games. Especially for being licensed and based on a movie.

While Capcom's game is overall the more solid, well made game, and the American developed one on the MegaDrive suffered a lot of the usual flaws you'd still see in many western platformers at the time, I think it's one of the rare examples of the latter actually getting away with it.
Sure, the controls were impacted by animation lag and terrible hitboxes, but overall the game was perfectly playable, and more importantly it was constantly creative, with each stage feeling unique, though with enough consistency to not get annoying. It's not a great game by any means, but it's a very interesting and, in my opinion, a very memorable one.

The SNES game is just... forgettable comfort food to be honest. You'd probably play it through once and then never care to visit it again.
And this might be a less popular opinion, but a lot of Capcom's licensed Disney games honestly suffer from a similar lack of ambition, which is disappointing - because they are good games that just could have been a lot better. I think that's true for all three Magical Quest games, too, and even Rescue Rangers and Ducktales.

Edited by Sumez
  • Love 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 4

16 hours ago, Sumez said:

And this might be a less popular opinion, but a lot of Capcom's licensed Disney games honestly suffer from a similar lack of ambition, which is disappointing - because they are good games that just could have been a lot better. I think that's true for all three Magical Quest games, too, and even Rescue Rangers and Ducktales.

I pretty much feel the same way, except I do see DuckTales as the exception. I think the non-linear level design with a bunch of secret stuff to find and the ability to go about the levels in any order make it much more interesting than Capcom's other Disney games. Always felt the same way about QuackShot versus Sega's Castle of Illusion series, which I honestly don't know why people love so much.

As far as Aladdin goes, I have never played the SNES game, but I always enjoyed the Sega one. What really impressed me was definitely the animation and background graphics. Besides looking much closer to the aesthetic of the film, it's got so much more of an organic feel to the levels which is really what I feel a 16-bit game should look like. The SNES game has that old blocky, obviously tile-based look to the backgrounds, like it's really just an NES game with more colors.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 9/3/2021 at 12:00 PM, ifightdragons said:

The comment from Reed Rothchild must have flown straight over my head, because they're both obviously good games. Especially for being licensed and based on a movie.

Just a dig at the Genesis vs SNES debates where these games commonly come up.  As if the 190th best game on either system (give or take) is gonna have any impact.  😄

Ditto for The Lion King.  Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Just a dig at the Genesis vs SNES debates where these games commonly come up.  As if the 190th best game on either system (give or take) is gonna have any impact.  😄

Ditto for The Lion King.  Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

I'd say top 40/50 maybe for the snes games. They add some flavor to the library.

I also think they are important b/c:

-fun

-very well made

-show deep progression from the Nes

- are two of the most memorable movies from the Disney Renaissance

I own the Sega ones, but haven't put as much time in them. I'd say Aladdin is a top 15 platformers on Genesis. Lion King idk.

Probably around the 150 mark overall if I had to guess in my SNES rankings. The game's simplicity it what makes it fun. Enemies are manageable and take clear hits, controls are fun with the gliding, ledge hanging and apples, the levels aren't  a sprawling mess like a lot of other platformers at the time and gem collection for a slightly harder challenge. The game is definitely on the easy side but still somewhat gratifying to rip through.

Aladdin on Genesis almost reminds me more of Super Pitfall more so than Aladdin on SNES. I'm not a huge fan of the back and forth level design on these types of games.