IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

24 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Could be, but I think it may also depend on what and how much additional information Karl Jobst has in his possession, and depending on the nature of it, if that info makes it into the hands of relevant authorities.  If the FTC starts kicking in doors and those reports start making the rounds (likely with recaps about all the 80s shenanigans and quietly settled suits brought against Heritage for shill bidding, etc. showing up on regular, mainstream news media), I think that would shoot us much farther forward on the bubble chart.  Maybe you could take the chart and draw in a dotted line, like in Chutes 'n Ladders?  "Oh no, you landed on FTC Investigation!  Slide forward 25 squares!"

I mean, could be, but as far as I understand FTC investigations take time, and the market moves quick. Still PLENTY of time to get another few pumps in before this whole thing pops IMO.

Also, now that Goldin and other auction houses are getting in on the action, taking HA out of the picture probably won't be enough on its own to take the wind out of the market's sails, especially if it turns out there is no actual evidence of CRIMINAL activity such as shill bidding, as opposed to general hype peddling.

I think the best indication will be what happens to the next Mario 64 at Goldin. If that goes for over a million again, this ain't over any time soon IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I fully agree with this.  Regardless of how one feels about him, Pat checks enough boxes to qualify for expert status.  And while there are definitely guys that would be a better representative to use for sealed collecting, one doesn't have to collect sealed games to know enough about it to comment.  I wish there were more experts, or a better quality one than Pat, but you have to remember that he's also a recognizable face.  People who don't know much about the hobby may have seen Pat on Youtube, whereas other experts don't really have that face that would lend gravitas to the statements they make.  So like it or not, Pat was probably the ideal person to have as an expert hobbyist.

Honestly, if you're looking in terms of rarity, there's actually several games that would qualify as rarer than SE in sealed condition.  Titles that you probably wouldn't expect.  Hell, Tim Atwood had between 12 and 18 (depending whether he had two or three cases), and the 6-12 that he parted out are more than the number of copies that a few other titles got.  He did have a point about the first appearances, but since Mario's first appearance was Donkey Kong, I would argue that SMB would be better equated to Amazing Spider-Man #1 than Amazing Fantasy #15 😛  All that said, I would've argued that from a long-term collectible standpoint, SMB sealed would 100% be more sought after than Stadium Events ever would be due to desirability.  But from a rarity standpoint, you're still wrong about SE being the top of the heap.

I just blurted out an answer with a millisecond of thought because I was already disinvested in the subject of the conversation and wanted to keep it moving.  I agree SE is not the correct answer but just said something to keep the convo moving along; it's not my stone cold opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I won't lie, I'm quite tempted to swap my sealed game I have for a pretty MINTY CIB one.  The money would be so helpful right now, and not having the threat of something happening being my issue but the next one is a factor too.

Honestly, same. I don't have any one item worth quite that much, but I do have some sealed Pokemon DS games and a mint Crystal that is apparently north of $500 now. I've never, ever had an interest in selling them, but current prices have made me consider it. I wouldn't feel bad cashing in on this stupidity if I were you. But who knows, things might get even stupider.

Events Helper · Posted

Honest question.....

Did Heritage sell VGA games prior to this, or did they sell them during any of this big ordeal?  

If they have, then why haven't they gone up in price, etc.  Why is it just WATA?  I mean, still seems people are using them to grade still as we still have people showing off graded games here on VGS.  I think @jonebone does VGA, or did.  Maybe he can chime in on this as I don't keep up with this stuff.  I'm genuinely curious.  Thanks for any responses.  I only ask because if it was legitimate and they are worth so much, why aren't they selling as high?

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Honest question.....

Did Heritage sell VGA games prior to this, or did they sell them during any of this big ordeal?  

If they have, then why haven't they gone up in price, etc.  Why is it just WATA?  I mean, still seems people are using them to grade still as we still have people showing off graded games here on VGS.  I think @jonebone does VGA, or did.  Maybe he can chime in on this as I don't keep up with this stuff.  I'm genuinely curious.  Thanks for any responses.  I only ask because if it was legitimate and they are worth so much, why aren't they selling as high?

Marketing. Wata and HA are all over the place news wise for the “highest selling games of all time!”. Many of the new people into this market probably don’t even know there are more than one grading company at this point. 

Has HA ever sold VGA? Dunno. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Thanks 1

HA never sold VGA. But VGA prices are up too, if you look at certifiedlink/comicconnect or even eBay sales. People aren't really selling top tier games in top VGA grades much, but the prices for what is being sold are definitely tracking up like WATA ones...

• Thanks 2

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, AdamW said:

HA never sold VGA. But VGA prices are up too, if you look at certifiedlink/comicconnect or even eBay sales. People aren't really selling top tier games in top VGA grades much, but the prices for what is being sold are definitely tracking up like WATA ones...

do they allow VGA games in their auctions?  If not isn't that kind of manipulating things?  so to speak.....

22 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

do they allow VGA games in their auctions?  If not isn't that kind of manipulating things?  so to speak.....

When I spoke to someone from HA they told me they only sell WATA graded games, and if WATA doesn't grade them, they don't want them, so no DS, PSP, PS3, PC and Mac, etc.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I don’t think so. The entire concept of “market manipulation” has a more narrow legal definition anyway IIRC. There’s really no issue with a private auction house picking and choosing its authentication vendors.

Edited by inasuma
  • Thanks 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, inasuma said:

I don’t think so. The entire concept of “market manipulation” has a more narrow legal definition anyway IIRC. There’s really no issue with a private auction house picking and choosing it’s authentication vendors.

ya, idk, it's not manipulative in an illegal sense for sure, I'm just wondering is all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alder said:

Honestly, same. I don't have any one item worth quite that much, but I do have some sealed Pokemon DS games and a mint Crystal that is apparently north of $500 now. I've never, ever had an interest in selling them, but current prices have made me consider it. I wouldn't feel bad cashing in on this stupidity if I were you. But who knows, things might get even stupider.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if it got dumber.  I really could use the money specifically on that stuff.  Shit if someone here let me pick out the stove and microwave of my choice and we came to a cash deal on the side for the difference I'd pull it off the wall right now.  My kitchen is the only part of this place that really sucks still as it's just out of date and failing in those ways. 😄  I don't want to hit the tax limit for the year, that's another concern as I've been offloading junk like crazy.  Ebay, here, facebook rarely for cash or paypal deposit f&f locally, and trades.  With the new tax cap next year between ebay fees on the fvf and taxes they roll up, then the gov't getting their slice now, selling anything under at least $10 won't be worth it.  Whatever left I'm trading out under that mark or it's going to garage sale/half price books when something fun comes in I want.  I'm not going to recklessly dump stuff to get taken advantage of and then others, but I'm making concessions.

3 minutes ago, PuppyWaffles said:

I keep seeing "Grail" talk. I think the TRUE trail of game collecting would be a sealed and graded Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut since it possibly could exist, but doesnt. A grail needs to be something no one knows for certain exists. 

I would slightly modify your definition and say that a true grail is known to exist, and there is only one of them in existence. But it’s location is unknown

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeevan said:

What is the equivalent of the Mario 64 that went for 1.5 million in VGA terms?  and are there any out there?

A 95+ SM64, I guess. According to the old VGA data that was posted here when that sale was discussed, there are or were a couple - but of course, it's possible anything from old VGA data has been crossed to wata by now.

• Thanks 1

As someone who has been collecting for over 20 years and an active member of NintedoAge I am furious.

I am disappointed to learn Dain is POSSIBLY INVOLVED, obviously the Dentist at VVG anyone could see was a used car salesman in disguise... but Dain? Suddenly that whole NA sale makes sense. Destroy the info so new people entering the market have no concept of what anything is worth. I stopped buying a couple years ago and have sold some higher end titles during this foolish euphoria. I expect things will now correct...

It just kills me that the pure joy and nostalgia in this hobby was corrupted by a few deviants. I never liked grading but understood it for guys like jonebone and VGA. When WATA came out it was clearly a joke and I stand by it, now that seems to be reality. I am simply floored by the level of this and looking forward to seeing lawsuits and jail time for those involved.

Edited by Archangel3090
  • Like 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Archangel3090 said:

As someone who has been collecting for over 20 years and an active member of NintedoAge I am furious.

I am disappointed to learn Dain is a scumbag, obviously the Dentist at VVG anyone could see was a used car salesman in disguise... but Dain? Suddenly that whole NA sale makes sense. Destroy the info so new people entering the market have no concept of what anything is worth. I stopped buying a couple years ago and have sold some higher end titles during this foolish euphoria. I expect things will now correct...

It just kills me that the pure joy and nostalgia in this hobby was corrupted by a few deviants. I never liked grading but understood it for guys like jonebone and VGA. When WATA came out it was clearly a joke and I stand by it, now that seems to be reality. I am simply floored by the level of this and looking forward to seeing lawsuits and jail time for those involved.

Why do you think Dain is a scumbag? He was included in the video for context, but hasn't been involved with WATA since 2017. He chimed in earlier in this thread (look back around page 88 ish) and clarified a few things. I really wish the sale of NA had gone differently, but if there's a grand conspiracy going on, he doesn't seem to be involved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alder said:

Why do you think Dain is a scumbag? He was included in the video for context, but hasn't been involved with WATA since 2017. He chimed in earlier in this thread (look back around page 88 ish) and clarified a few things. I really wish the sale of NA had gone differently, but if there's a grand conspiracy going on, he doesn't seem to be involved.

People can claim whatever they want. The fact that NA was sold behind closed doors between two people with ties to all of this is still sketchy as hell. Dain didn't give any fore warning to ANYONE on NA. Time will tell the truth.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Archangel3090 said:

As someone who has been collecting for over 20 years and an active member of NintedoAge I am furious.I am disappointed to learn Dain is a scumbag, obviously the Dentist at VVG anyone could see was a used car salesman in disguise... but Dain? Suddenly that whole NA sale makes sense.

Yea he really chimed in and spoke for himself beginning around page 97 of this thread. If you have issues, why don’t you ask him some questions? Would be a lot more constructive than namecalling 

Edited by phart010
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, AdamW said:

A 95+ SM64, I guess. According to the old VGA data that was posted here when that sale was discussed, there are or were a couple - but of course, it's possible anything from old VGA data has been crossed to wata by now.

Conceivably an 85+ or 90 could cross to 9.8 A++. I’d be willing to bet money that there are AT LEAST 50 9.8 A++ equivalent Mario 64s in existence. 

• Wow! 1